iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Blade Guide Retrofit

Started by D6c, April 08, 2018, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Has anyone changed out the blade guides on an older LT40  (1987) to either a later WM guide or to aftermarket guides?

I just replaced the guide roller bearings and of course had to completely readjust them afterwards.  It seems to be a very tedious process and they don't seem to be particularly well designed.  Adjustments have to be made and re-made several times because one adjustment affects another.  You have to keep going back to check all the alignments and readjusting.

Are the newer guides adaptable to older machines, and are they any easier to set/maintain the adjustment?

I see you can get aftermarket guides from Timber Wolf  https://timberwolfbandmillblades.com/products.php?cat=1216
I kind of like how they use a bearing to support the back edge of the blade rather than a flanged roller....that also eliminates the adjustment to keep the roller flange aligned with the blade edge.
Anyone have experience with their guides?

I've considered making my own, more robust, guides that would be easier to adjust, but that would be quite a bit of work.

pineywoods

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ::) Trying to Improve on the basic lt40 design is pretty much a waste of time. Believe me, I have tried. As for the adjustments affecting each other, Not a problem IF you follow the proceedures in the manual IN THE PRESCRIBED ORDER...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I wish you were close. I would gladly teach you how to use what you have and not spend extra money. The blade guide system you have works well. Still used today on new mills .
   I just serviced a mill 1994 and the owner had very similar comments. I did the adjustments and taught him how to do it. Once we did the test cut he was all smiles.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

D6c

Quote from: pineywoods on April 08, 2018, 08:38:19 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ::) Trying to Improve on the basic lt40 design is pretty much a waste of time. Believe me, I have tried. As for the adjustments affecting each other, Not a problem IF you follow the proceedures in the manual IN THE PRESCRIBED ORDER...

They must have been a little less than satisfactory if you tried to improve on them. 
I do know the procedure, but it would be nice if it was a little more repeatable...say if you partly dissemble it and put it back together and not have to readjust. My orig guides are quite different from what I see in the current parts manual so I was asking if they worked better.

Thank You Sponsors!