iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old timers

Started by Woodboogah, November 25, 2013, 12:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

There is an old timer that is well known in the industry around here that comes and visits me about once a week or so.  What a wealth of knowledge he is and in the short time we speak I learn so much.  What I would give to have worked and learned from him in the woods.  Just a good guy all around.  I feel privileged to be able to pick his brain.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

thecfarm

My Father was like that in the woods. Our little game was putting a stick of wood,3-4 feet long,laying it down and hitting it. Well it was really so he could see if I knew what I was doing. I know that others would drive the stick in the ground and try to hit it. I'm not that good. I could not cut down a tree with him without looking over my shoulder. Just hearing him talk about the woods was nice too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I've enjoyed several "old timers" over the years who were willing to tell me and show me how to do things "right" ( :) can take that at least two ways, that either they could see I sorely needed to be told, or that I was willing to hear them out and wanted the knowledge that they could share).

Began when I was 12,13 yr old and I went summers to my Uncle's farm. He was a bit of a bragger and always shared his "best" way to do things. To this day I still appreciate and remember the many, many things he shared about all things on a dairy/hog/beef farm

Then there was the dairy farmer I worked for in high school, and he was a perfectionist. There wasn't a day that he didn't find at least one thing that I did wrong that he wanted done right. I never once looked at it as anything other than I could do it better - and think I did. At least he didn't have to harp on me twice for doing it wrong.

Then there was my sawmill friend and he also took me as his hunting partner (his own son wouldn't tolerate his dad always telling him what to do and expecting him to give up his Saturdays sawing logs into lumber). This friend taught me so many things I can't count them all.  My first hunt, thanks to him, was 50 years ago this weekend when JFK was shot. The day after he passed away, I shot my biggest buck, and have to thank my friend for sending that big boy my way after we hunted together for 35 years. To this day I thank this friend for teaching me so much about some circular sawmilling and doing house construction.

Then another old timer was a retired Dentist-turned-collector and rehabbing old equipment and engines. Had a great time with him learning about engine rebuilds, etc, etc. until the big C took him away.

Another "old timer" was a neighbor who for most was just an old grouch. We managed to become good friends and now he is gone. Miss him being around every day and always looking after things, whether it was his business or not.

Now for learning I have the Forestry Forum. Really can't get a better wealth of information for so many different things from so many great people who all feel like "good friends" and family.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

Hahaha. Old timer is a relative term, don't ya think?
When I started falling timber for the mill in the 80's, an "old timer" took me under his wing (so I wouldn't kill myself) and taught me a lot. Hmm, old timer.....He was 50 at the time, but had been falling timber all his life.
Another "old timer" gave me a few pointers on skidding logs. He was 55 at the time, but was considered an "old timer" since skidding logs was the only job he'd ever had.
Now I've been called an "old timer" by some of the young guy's I put to work.  :o  :-\
I only know one real old timer that's left around here. He's 84 and just quit running his mill full time last year. He still calls in some help and cranks out a truck load of lumber a couple of times a month.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Magicman

:D  Maybe when I get old, folks will call me an "old timer".   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

plasticweld

I was 17 the first time I picked up a saw and worked in the woods, for an old timer with a great reputation for being one of the most skilled guys out there. He had the nick name the Maestro. He taught me a lot of what I know today 37 years later. I am way younger than Magicman and at 54 old timer to me would be fighting words... Oh the Maestro AKA Paul Quintal was 54 when I met him

thecfarm

I have met some very helpful "oldtimers" and some have the idea,I had to learn the hardway,why should I help you?  ::) I have also met some of the non helpers that was my own age too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treeslayer2003

if not for the "old timers" what would we know?

Maine logger88

I have learned almost everything I know either about cutting trees driving skidder or mechanic work from my grandfather who is 71 and still works everyday and my father 44, and I believe that everytime or at least almost everytime they told me how to do something and me being independent doing it my way I ended up having to do it the way they told me to to begin with, lately I generally just do stuff how they say to even if I argue about it but when they leave I'll do it how they say haha. My grandfather would count as an old timer my father probably wouldn't and if he thought I called him one would probably kick my butt (and he could do it) but he has been working in the woods and running equipment as well as driving pulp truck for 30 years
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ed_K

I have a hand full of oldtimers in my life,I feel they guided me more than taught.But they all succeeded in helping me get thru life.Now when someone askes,I try to use my learning experiences to help them also.I'm not old I just feel 83 most days  ;D .
We all need to tell stories of how it was,it baffels younger people how we survived without the net  :D :o 8) .
Ed K

Woodboogah

I guess  I should have mentioned he is 76, I am 30.  I figure that counts as an old timer.  He cut the adjacent piece that I am cutting now and that is how we met.  Just him coming to see who was doing the cutting.  The machine I am running used to be his (I bought it from someone else).  Small world.  He is always talking about getting back into the woods.  I know he could out cut me, he is still in good shape and gets around really well.  I hope one day I can pass on the knowledge he has given me. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

jwilly3879

Some of the wisest words passed to me by an old-timer were, " You never learn anything by doing it right!"

After watching me struggle with a project I was working on and listening to me complain he jumped in and in minutes had completed it. The words this time were, "If it's not easy you might be doing it wrong."

Before I got married he said to remember, "if you can't eat it, read it or wear it doesn't belong in the house." He learned that from his wife of 50 years.

I do miss him, it was my grandfather.

gologit

If it wasn't for the old timers and what they taught me I probably would never have become an old timer myself.  :D

They weren't gentle in their teaching, they made sure they got their point across, but if you really wanted to learn they would always take the time to make sure you did.
Semi-retired...life is good.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: gologit on November 27, 2013, 01:54:59 PM
If it wasn't for the old timers and what they taught me I probably would never have become an old timer myself.  :D

They weren't gentle in their teaching, they made sure they got their point across, but if you really wanted to learn they would always take the time to make sure you did.
lol sometimes the ol man would get his point across with his boot, but that was when I was a hardheaded kid lol

Thank You Sponsors!