iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pto driven chipper

Started by Nashranch, February 15, 2018, 08:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nashranch

Greetings! I need to hear some opinions on Pto driven chippers. I have a forest thinning contract and I need to chip the overburden ( limbs and little trees) anything three inches or bigger is getting saved for firewood. I've had experience logging and milling but have never had chipper. I'm looking at the wood Max mx 8800. I guess I'm just not sure if it would do the work I need or if I should pick up a good used Vermeer. I've got a lot of rough country to cover so one on the tractor be a lot easier to get where it's needed. Anyhow I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks, John

Ohio_Bill

Hi John , I Have owned a  8H Woodmaxx for 3 years . It by no means is the quality of a Vermeer but for the price I have been well pleased with it . Parts and support are readily available . I use mine on a 60 hp tractor mostly for chipping waste from my edger . I have also chipped limbs and brush . My tractor has 540 and 1000 pto so I usually run in 1000 rpm mode and idle down to 540 pto speed with plenty of power .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ScottAR

Might also click the bearcat button at the top of the screen.  They have a 9inch pto that I would like to have.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

thecfarm

Nashranch,welcome to the forum.
How many hp you got for a tractor?
How do you get the logs out of the wood?
I never fed a chipper,but think it would be a slow job,from a logging job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nashranch

Hey cfarm ,
I have a 60 horse tractor right now with a loader that I have been using to yard up the saw logs., I have a wood mizer lt15. Once I get some money rolling in from the job I plan on upgrading to about a 100 horse case cummings. I agree I think chipping looks slow. I have been burning a lot but I'm really supposed to be chipping it. I do like to burn though, a fire and some beer can't beat that  8)

jdonovan

I have a woods 8100, which is a re-badged bearcat. I have had very good results with the unit. My only complaint is I can dull a set of blades in less than a days work if I'm feeding lots of brush, or especially if I'm feeding large branches.

I now keep a 2nd set on the truck, and in < 15 min I can swap them out.

I'm running a machine with 45HP at the pto and unless there is 5"+ limbs, the power is enough to run the in feed reasonably quickly.

Maine372

running a chipper is hard on a motor. a lot of hours at high rpms.

with what you have invested in the tractor, do you really want to wear the motor that hard?

can you pick up a used chipper cheap enough you can pull it around with the tractor?

id rather have to replace a tire on a chipper than do engine work on the tractor. just my perspective.

Nashranch

I guess I'm not to concerned about the tractor motor. They're made to take it. I farmed for most of my life and doing field work you run them pretty well maxed out all the time. Of course it depends on what you're doing, if you're pulling a hay rake or something you don't have to.
I'm thinking the wood Max is worth the try for the money. If it doesn't work out I can always sell it. I like the fact that it's U.S. Made.

Ed_K

Make sure it has power feed, I have a Roberge 6" chipper hand fed and hate it.
Ed K

Resonator

X2 power feed. Once you've run power feed you'll never go back to manual.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jack S

I bought a Jinma 3 pt chipper and although it gets the job done forget it. The feed roller is to weak and doesn't pull the wood in with any aggression. I have studied the woodmax and really am impressed with the hydraulic driven duel feed rollers with a variable speed drive adjustment. If I weren't coming to a end on my cleanup operation and my age factored in I would buy the woodmax  with no further discussion. For cleanup and home use the tractor is the way to go. I've run mine on an Ford Jubille, ford 860, ford 3000, and now my JD 950 29 hp yanmar diesel. A 4 inch pine limb will chip up so fast and it doesn't phase the tractors at all.

Nashranch

Well I pulled the trigger on a woodmax MX8800. I'll let you know what I think of it. Thanks for all the input.

Lookin4GoodLife

Don't know if you'll see this or not Nash as you've only got 5 posts, but how are you liking that Woodmaxx chipper?  I'm in the market for a chipper myself.

Thank You Sponsors!