iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 372xp or Stihl ms440 mag

Started by bitternut, March 17, 2006, 11:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

Which of these saws is the better saw?  Would probably get either with a 20" or a 24" bar. I think they are in the same class but not sure.

parrisw

Husky all the way for me!!! Go for at least 24"

macpower

Flip a coin. The 440 sells for a few bucks more here. If you can't make up your mind, go with a Jonsered 2171. I have all three, can't put one over the other, but red and black are the nicest colors ;)
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

boboak

Either saw is good.  I prefer Stihl but thats mostly because I'm used to them.  It comes down to dealer support...go with whichever one will do the best job of making sure you and your saw are taken care of with parts,accesories etc.  A good dealer does a lot more than just sell saws.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

sawguy21

I formerly sold both but now it is Stihl only.  Guess I will have to start bleeding orange and white. ;D I have used the 372XP and was quite satisfied but have not yet tried the 440. My customers seem very pleased with it. I can only echo boboak's comments. Dealer support is the key.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

logger

I like my Stihl 440 Magnum, It is my favorite saw.  But dealer support is probably the best. 8)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

fishhuntcutwood

It's "feel" for me.  I like the feel of Stihl better, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'll put the performance of a 440 ahead of that of the 372.  Alot of guys compare the 372 to the 460.  It's a superb saw in every way, and I'm a Stihl guy!  Now that it appears there's more to be had....I may have to get one myself....but don't tell anyone....

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

OLD_ JD

Still or husky?...there both good ,I will suggested you to try both of them see by you're sell which one you prefer, or you feel more comfortable whit, feel you're instinct  ;)
canadien forest ranger

Dan_F

I have run both fairly extensivly and the compare nicely. The Husky does seem to have more power but it comes down to if you want the narrow taller Huskys or the wider shorter Stihls. I prefer the Huskys, I have 14 but do not own any Stihls.
2001 F-350 flatbed dump, JD 550, Kubota L48, Cat 966, Cat D7, Lucas 613, 14 husqvarnas

TexasTimbers

I've never run a 440 or 460 either. But if you search the forum, you can't find a single bad remark against the 372 as far as I know and alot of guys have them. I ran a 32" bar today on it all day cutting Osage and I can hear it rattling around out in the tool box outside  trying to get out and go after more.  ;D
Monday, or maybe it was Tuesday, one of the days we barely got to work because of delays, I buried the 32"er into a massive osage crotch and it wasn't close to cutting plumb through and it just sang right through. Whenever we would get into some Hackberry it was like a vacation for the saw.
I know it sounds like I am totally biased and i guess I am. The 385 is a beast but the 372 will nearly run right beside it, and the only reason I won't say it will flat out stay with it is because someone i know just bought one and i don't want him to think he should've just bought another 372 to replace his broken one. ;) ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

tawilson

Does the Husky have the outboard clutch? I don't have a problem with it if it does, except I would like the option of taking the powerhead off the bar if I was to ever get the saw pinched, not that I would ever let such a thing happen.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

TexasTimbers

Inboard. Had to pull my powerhead once yesterday for that very reason.  ::)

bitternut

Guess I could buy either saw and be happy with my choice. I never gave being able to pull the powerhead off the bar if it was stuck a thought. I had the impression you could do that with any saw. I don't have any problem getting the bar stuck when felling since I started bore cutting but once in a while I stick the bar when cutting them up on the ground because I don't pop a wedge in them soon enough. I carry a spare bar and chain just in case. I will make sure any saw I get I can easily pop the bar off if stuck. Thanks for the heads up.

TexasTimbers

Getting a bar stuck shouldn't happen often, if at all, felling, but when you are working with a dozer and track hoe and trying to salvage as many logs as you can before they are pushed into the burn pile, you make cuts you know you shouldn't. At least *I* (I won't speak for others  ;) ) did.

They are often under severe tension in and making time-consuming stress-relieveing cuts on other parts of the felled tree to get the tension out of your log cut, sometimes doesn't happen because you place your trust in the wedge. In theory this works every time but in reality sometimes because you are operating in an environmet of mud and snow and rain and sleet and the track hoe driver is sitting with his hands folded twitling his thumbs waiting on you, you might get in a hurry and not hammer that wedge deep enough.
Then, no matter that you DID do everything right, you can still get your blade pinched when the logs drop into each other just wrong.
The most important thing I learned from my trip to Illinois however, is that it's a fool who doesn't wear chaps. I nearly cut into my leg - and I was of course "being careful and in control". It's just plain silly not to wear chaps when your are using a chainsaw. I had never sawed logs that were dropped by machinery. I have always dropped the trees, and never thought chaps were absolutely essential. Well, They are - machinery - felling - cutting firewood. Don't matter. They are essential and I always knew that "in the back of my mind". But when you nearly put a 32" bar running at 13,600 RPM into your leg, it comes to the FRONT of your mind.  :o
I have a pair in transit right now.

MULE_MAN

I think they are both good saw's, And Kirk is really going to be proud of
kevjay, for finally figuring out how to spell Illinois  :D   :D  ;D

Sorry just couldn't help myself when I seen you spell Illinois right  :o  ;D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

micky boy

No body has picked up on the vibration of the 044. (I thought so anyhow) I have had 2 372's and 2 044's to date and I love both saws near equally, but If I had to choose a saw I would be using all day felling, limbing and bucking then I would  have the 372 purely on the principle that the 044 was more of a bone shaker compared to the spring damping of the 372. If I was choosing a saw for a big bar to make big cuts intermitantly then I would have the 044. I guess really there is no comparison. Whatever feels good in yer hands.
Maybe some of you have no nerves left in your arms or hands to feel the vibration  :D 

Three Five Seven............Chainsaw Heaven

Alta

I cant comment on Huskys other than my  brother likes em but he's a bit odd. I can comment on the Stihl 440 etc. I take care of about 20 of these saws for my fire dept. They get used and abused by guys that know about saws, guys that think they know about saws, and guys that should never get close to a saw. That said, the saws ( from several old 038s , 044s, and 440s to the ms460 rescue - our current spec) have held up remarkably well. No unusual break downs, easy enough to work on, no failures due to materials and workmanship, and the saws can really take a beating. Plenty of power, reliability is good, the saws sometimes have to idle for long periods, and they have to perform when needed. So while I dont know about the huskys, I do know you can count on the stihls - even when your life, and those of others, depends on it. I like our dealer support too.

Alta

Im also ordering 4 more ms460s and a new rotary saw and this would be a good time to change if I felt the need, but Ive been responsible for keeping these saws running for over 20 years and Im happy to say they dont keep mee too busy with repairs. I make up, sharpen, and repair a lot of carbide loops but thats another issue.

Kirk_Allen

Yeah its good to see Kevin has learn to spell :D

Now in regards to that comment about your 372 keeping up with that new 385 I got :o

Did a little test of my own today, since I got my 372 back up and running.  Had to replace the gas tank assembly and throttle.  Big logs tend to crush plastic ;D

Brand new chain on each saw.  My 372 has a 8 sprocket and my 385 only a 7.  I cut through a 20" Osage in 35 seconds with the 385 and 55 seconds with the 372.  So Kevin, bring it on ;D :D  The 385 ROCKS, but so does my 372.  I should have grabbed the 359 and tried it. 

Husky would be my choice if you cant tell by now ;D

Thank You Sponsors!