iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal detector

Started by Crusarius, July 23, 2018, 12:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Since I am finally to the cutting and testing stage of my bandsawmill build I have been playing with some spalted maple I acquired. unfortunately it was from a yard tree. I have killed 3 blades in 4 logs. I now find myself wanting a metal detector.

So I just spent a bunch of time searching for metal detector topics. The most recent one I found I think was 2014. I am sure things have changed and improved since then.

Does anybody have any suggestions for decent metal detectors? Especially ones that won't break the bank. I found a couple nice units on amazon with favorable reviews. I would greatly appreciate any feedback everyone has.

This unit caught my eye. Amazon metal detector

Ljohnsaw

I got a
Zircon MetalliScanner m40 Handheld Electronic Metal Detector
from Amazon in 2015.  I used it for the first time last month.  It actually allowed me to pin point the end of a bolt 6" down into a pine log.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

alan gage

I went through this recently. Found an old thread where a member had gotten a vibratector: Treasure Products, Inc | Home of the Vibra-Probe

Sounded about perfect so I got one. Unfortunately that member never responded back with his actual experiences but I've been disappointed with mine so far. I was slabbing 1-2" deep and hit metal (I hadn't checked the log first). After getting the blade backed out of the cut I grabbed the detector to see how it would do. I waved it all over the area and it didn't go off once. I could see a small depression in the bark where it had healed over and assuming that's where the metal was I concentrated on this area. Then I was able to get the detector to go off if I held it tight to the bark and concentrated on just that area. Not something that's feasible to do successfully on every log.

Maybe I should try playing with it on the trees at home. There's hardly a tree on my property that doesn't show signs of wire or bolts. Would be a good test.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Magicman

I have two similar to this:  LINK

One is a Garrett and the other is similar and is no longer available.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lawg Dawg

Go to Harbor Freight and get you one for $40...I've been using one for over a year and has saved me hundreds in blades. Best thing, if you accidentally  leave it out in the rain, run over it with the tractor, or roll a log over it...youre only out $40  :D works good and is cheap, plus plus in my book 8)
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Tom the Sawyer

Bought a Wood Wizard (similar to the Garrett wand style), it lasted about 60 days.  They replaced it under warranty, that one lasted about 90 days.  Bought one at HF, had it about 3 years so far, just replace the 9v battery periodically and its good to go.  Both the WW and the HF are good for 3-4" deep in a log but are very sensitive to mill components, forklift forks, etc.  It comes in really handy when I am resawing old beams because it will even pick up staples.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

moodnacreek

Mine is a Fisher quick silver from the 1980's. I can not be without it and keep a spare unit. It will do 8" or more and discriminate between metal and iron so I can saw lead/copper bullets. It is not waterproof like a Ren's professional model but they do not discriminate.

tawilson

I've got the same Garret as MM and the harbor freight one. They both work, the Garret possibly a little more sensitive. I think i need to do a side by side scientific test.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

PAmizerman

Been using the HF for over a year now. Works good enough for me.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Pjames

Garrett here works pretty well if you use it not so well if you (DONT)

Magicman

I have a Garrett 250 Ace, but I would much rather use a wand.  Note; always use your metal detector well away from the sawmill and stay clear of your steel toe boots.   ;D

Since I only custom saw, I never use a metal detector but they are available for the customer to use.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I have found that new bands straight out of the box are the best metal detectors out there, they ALWAYS find any piece of tramp metal in a log, guaranteed not to miss a single piece. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

alan gage

Quote from: alan gage on July 23, 2018, 01:14:20 PM
I went through this recently. Found an old thread where a member had gotten a vibratector: Treasure Products, Inc | Home of the Vibra-Probe

Sounded about perfect so I got one. Unfortunately that member never responded back with his actual experiences but I've been disappointed with mine so far. I was slabbing 1-2" deep and hit metal (I hadn't checked the log first). After getting the blade backed out of the cut I grabbed the detector to see how it would do. I waved it all over the area and it didn't go off once. I could see a small depression in the bark where it had healed over and assuming that's where the metal was I concentrated on this area. Then I was able to get the detector to go off if I held it tight to the bark and concentrated on just that area. Not something that's feasible to do successfully on every log.

Maybe I should try playing with it on the trees at home. There's hardly a tree on my property that doesn't show signs of wire or bolts. Would be a good test.

Alan
Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to throw the vibratector under the bus. I haven't been using it just because the trees I've been cutting have been clean and I didn't really trust it but the other day I spotted a nail head in an ash tree so I got out the vibratector to check the rest of it. That tree must have been more metal than wood because it went crazy until I got over about 7' high. That one nail head was the only thing visible but I'm guessing there was wire fencing in the tree. So it saved the day that day.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

firefighter ontheside

I also have the Zircon metalliscanner and it works, but it's pretty narrow. I'm,going to get something that scans a wider area.  The zircon is good pinpointing location.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

I use the garrett super scanner V.  I have milled a lot of yard trees.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

BenTN

I am searching for the same thing to go with a new lt35. I just found one at rural king for $29. Looks decent for the price, 6" depth and good reviews. It sounds to me like the cheap ones perform well enough for what we'd use them for.

Thank You Sponsors!