iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractors

Started by D._Frederick, May 16, 2007, 03:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I need to buy a compact tractor in the 25 to 30 hp range. The best buy I can find is New Holland model TC30DA. Any one have experience with this tractor?

Was surprice to learn that New Holland build the Red machines, the Case IH now.

thecfarm

What do you plan on doing with it?Trying to pick up 16 foot logs,16" will be next to impossible with it.Really working it hard in the woods would do it in fast.I saw a guy up my way with a 30hp JD working it in the woods.After a few years I did not see it no more,asked his father about it and he just said he got the good out of it.  :-\ Tractor wasn't big enough for the job.They all make lemons at times.I have a Ford 2120 40hp and have really worked the poor thing.I went and bought a water pump for it a few weeks back,and found out than NH had bought out IH.I do hope you are looking at a 4WD.A loader would be a good idea too,but the 4WD is a most for the woods.My Ford has treated me very well.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ScottAR

They have a good reputation on the tractor board as a reliable gear
drive tractor without a lot of bells and whistles.  Since my tractor
doesn't have any extras I think a TC30 would be peachy.
I wouldn't be scared of one at all...

Iseki builds both the New Hollands and Cases.  They build the little
Masseys, Agcos, and Challengers too.  Isn't global economy fun?
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Handy Andy

Our local Case IH, NH dealer started selling Mahindra tractors.  They are their small line.  Said the price just kicks Case and JD 's ass.  And they say they are really good pieces of equipment.  Might check them out.   Hey if you just handle logs, my Case 60xt just handles most of them ez. If you get a really big one, just have to handle one end at a time.  It doesn't like the 36" ones.  And it is 75 hp.   
My name's Jim, I like wood.

CLL

I had a 25-30 horse Kubota, even though not cheap, you couldn't kill it. Like most have advised, you need to size tractor to what you are doing. Rather have a older big tractor than a new small one of I'm going to over work it.
Too much work-not enough pay.

RSteiner

I have a 30 hp. Kubota with a Farmi winch that I use in the woods.  The tractor has seen mostly weekend use for the last 5 years without a problem.  As already stated don't expect to lift a 16' X 16" dia. hardwood log, you can pull one on good going.

I made a logging arch which expands the use of the tractor and saves a lot of wear and tear on it too.  Just remember it is a 1 ton machine not an 8 ton skidder or bull dozer.
Compact utility tractors also can also be a little tippy on rough ground make sure the rear wheels are set to the widest position possible.

Randy
Randy

stonebroke

duals are even better to cure tipping

Stonebroke

Sunfield Hardwood

Hi, I have a new holland model 1720 [27 hp], I bought it new in 1997, this is a great tractor. I use a farmi winch and really like it. But if I did'nt have such a large investment in ice chains, that would not fit a larger tractor, I would move up to something like 50-60 hp,I dont think I personly want one to much bigger than that because I like the manuverability of my small 4-wheel drive. also useing a tractor in the woods is NOT an instant death sentence. common sense and good tractor safety practices will work out fine. Good Luck, Bill
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

D._Frederick

This tractor has every thing but a fast turn front end, it is hydrostatic. I will be replacing Kubota a L 185. It will be used mostly for cutting grass around the buildings.

I have a Case IH 685 with a loader that I use for the heavy stuff.

Greg Cook

I have a Zetor 4340, haven't had any troubles that I couldn't handle. Folks told me parts for a Czhekoslovakian tractor would be hard to find, but I haven't had any trouble getting parts, and it's one of the most owner friendly machines I've ever had to work on.  DanG thing keeps breaking my log chains though...

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

D._Frederick

Anybody have a belly mower on your tractor? Am thinking about putting a 60 inch mower on the tractor if I buy it.

KGNC

D_
I have had a TC21D for 4 years, smaller tractor but it has had almost no problems. I got a much of water in the fuel tank which took a while to get right but ! can't blame that on the tractor.
I've got a belly mower on mine and it does well. No matter what they tell you the mid mounted mowers are still harder to put on and take off than a 3-point mower.

thecfarm

I have a Kubota BX1800 with a 54" belly mower.It's a heavy mower,seems like it weigh 260 pounds.This is a glorfied lawn mower.Should of stayed with NH,but I strayed.Wanted something low for the wife to get on and off.I should of bought  close to a 30hp NH.My wife mows ALOT.I would like to put a flair mower on the back of the Kubota,but have not find a name brand one small enough for a 18hp tractor.The mower deck is starting to show it's age.Would not matter what kind it was,it gets used alot.Goes around alot of stone walls and around alot of rocks.A mower with rotary blades is not the answer for as much mowing as she does.Lots of uneven ground.We really work the poor thing.I have to make sure we have 30 gallons of diesel on hand a week.But the place does look good.Better than the farm growing up to bushes.I would go with a belly mower if you only have 5 hours or so mowing a week.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!