iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Polaris Sportsman 500 boken!!!!!!

Started by Stump Jumper, May 09, 2004, 06:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump Jumper

Well about 2 months ago stump jumpers quad would not start after the kids drove it for hours.  First thought it was a fuel problem that was fine.  So went and checked the spark out no spark so now we get the big manual out that we purchased with the quads and went to troubleshooting, we troubleshooted the kill switch it was fine, next checked the exciter coil under the flywheel turned out that this is a magneto it was supposed to be 446 ohms and it was infinity it was an opened coil.  The exciter coil is attatched to the charging stator which is part of the charging system and is a $300 part. :o :o

This coil was mounted to the stator plate with a dovetail joint so I drove it off and made a chuck that would hold it so I could spin it in the drill.  Took us a while to find 35 guage 180 degree high temp magnet wire and of course went to Tennessee in the mean time.  But we finally got the coil wound soldered and mounted and in place yesterday afternoon and we worked it hard in the garden for an hour and the kids and i played on it for another hour and she never missed a lick.  This quad has had a missing problem almost from the time warranty ran out and I always thought that it was a fuel problem.  Now I believe that it was the coil about ready to go out.  It was a problem that would come and go.  So it was tough to diagnose until it quit altogether.

stump jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Kevin

The coil went in the lunar module as well.
It was intermittent and like you I thought it was a fuel problem.
It wanted to die and would only pick up with the choke on half.
Took it in under warranty and they had to really watch the spark to see it change color.
Works fine now with a new coil.

Thank You Sponsors!