iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tool box

Started by ridge logger, January 28, 2011, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridge logger

Just wondering what you guys carry your saw tools and chains in. Iuse a old army box that works well and is water tight but you really cnt keep things organized in it, but it is tough.

chucker

respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Maine372

$3 plastic tool box from walmart. when it breaks i buy a new one. no great loss. weather proof isnt a big deal since it stays on the workbench or in the truck toolbox.

dad uses an old socket set box from back in the old days when they were made of metal. works real well. i used a short peice of angle iron to make a special place for it to ride on the tractor.

Bobus2003

extra Chains hang on the Fire Extinguisher on the cab, have a bar wrench stuck in a old Idiot light hole in the dash, gas and oil and saw all go out under the arch in that hole the JD440 has

SwampDonkey

Hunter's orange colored back pack, carries by tools, extra blades (brush saw), lunch, extra ear plugs and a tarp I put over my saw if I leave it on the back of a block. We sometimes have trails that are 600 yards from the road to the back of the work area.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

I use the smaller ammo cans and a heavy canvas military bag with a zipper and handles sewn in for the tools and smaller spare parts that I keep in the truck bed.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mark K

Have a medium size ammo can welded to my skidder with tools, chains and spare gloves. Also have a big tool box built in under the seat on my Timberjack. Toolbox on my truck holds everything else.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

CX3

Quote from: Bobus2003 on January 28, 2011, 09:54:43 PM
extra Chains hang on the Fire Extinguisher on the cab, have a bar wrench stuck in a old Idiot light hole in the dash, gas and oil and saw all go out under the arch in that hole the JD440 has
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

CX3

Quote from: Bobus2003 on January 28, 2011, 09:54:43 PM

That is too funny.  I put a file and scrench in the same hole, and carry my saw and gas in same place too ;D

As far as all the other stuff...I had a really neat old small craftsmen metal toolbox that I carried extra files, chains, wedges, gloves, safety glasses, lighter, and other junk.  That is until yesterday I was splitting wood at the log pile and ran slick over it with the Chevy :'(
You Better Believe It!

clww

I did something like that 2 years ago with my FAVORITE gas can   smiley_furious3 I dropped a tree limb on it and blew out the one side. I wanted to cry!  :'( I'd had that can since I was in high school.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Banjo picker

I have a gas can/tool box comb...that I have had for probably 25 or 30 years...the fuel can snaps on top...it only holds 1 1/2 gallon of fuel and has a bottom that will hold all the files and wrenches ...gloves or what ever you would need for an afternoon of cutting...I'll get a pic when I can, maybe tomorrow...I haven't seen one in a store around here in decades...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

clww

I've seen a couple of metal ones like that manufactured by Stihl in the 1970s for sale on eBay in the past 2 months. They were going for more than $75 each.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

No body is gonna get mine for $75.

Or $100, or $150 or......... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

That's like the ones I saw! They didn't have the memories yours has, though! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Banjo picker

No need for me to post a pic...that is it...And I won't sell mine either.... 8)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

CX3

Hey magicman, did you put all the use on that thing?  How old is it?  Never seen one myself.  Bet it was handy
You Better Believe It!

SwampDonkey

I've seen them here years ago. Sometimes the lower half was used to catch the oil draining in a oil change.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 29, 2011, 09:45:00 PM
No need for me to post a pic...that is it...And I won't sell mine either.... 8)  Tim 

Come on Tim, lets compare scratches.

Quote from: CX3 on January 29, 2011, 10:09:37 PMdid you put all the use on that thing?  How old is it? 

You betcha,  every scratch is mine.  I bought it in the early 70's from the OTASCO store.  It never had any writing or graphics on it.  I carry two old "Sea Foam" cans of bar oil in as well as my stuff.  I haven't used it since this afternoon.  ;)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Ebay has a "Buy it Now" for $69.99 + $18.21 shipping.   :)

I didn't post a link, because it would have been a moving target.  Just search "Stihl gas can".

I'm not going to bid on it so one of you guys can grab it.  A 49.99 bid could buy it.

Banjo picker

O K you talked me into it...

The only problem with this set up is if you have to refuel that 084 many times you will be out of fuel...  ;D

I would say it was pretty close on the scratches an paint loss...Maybe we should start a poll and let folks vote on it... 8)  Tim

Magicman

No poll.  I Surrender Tim, I Give Up, Calf Rope, Uncle, You Win.   :D

You are correct about big saws and big jobs, but it is perfect for feeding a sawmill saw.   ;)

SwampDonkey

And a brush saw that only burns about 1 gallon in 8 hours of sawing. :D Actually, mine gets 1hr:20min in average cut'n and close to 2 hours in real light going. I can't burn a 5 gallon jug in a week and I cut a full 8 hours/day. Usually anything cut after Thursday noon and Friday is bonus if the cut'n isn't real nasty. ;D

CX3

Tim nice saws.  What are you packin there a 29, 66, and a 84???
You Better Believe It!

Magicman

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 29, 2011, 08:20:15 PM
the fuel can snaps on top...it only holds 1 1/2 gallon of fuel 

Tim, that is a difference between our cans.  Mine only holds 1 gallon.  The bottom is flush and doesn't actually fit inside of the tool box.  It fits on top of the tool box.

On the used ones on Ebay, I believe that the original one is a 1 gallon.  The refurbished one is a 1½ gallon.

clww

My 084 uses alot of gas, too! Nothing like the 090, though.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Banjo picker

Quote from: CX3 on January 30, 2011, 10:41:19 PM
Tim nice saws.  What are you packin there a 29, 66, and a 84???

The little fellow is a homeowners type saw a 180 or something like that...Good for trimming around the mill an is very stingy with its small gas tank ...it gets to go camping as well...the middle saw is a MS460....I use it the most when I am cutting or bucking...the big one is for special use...ripping a log into that the tractor won't pick up...or such....I bought it used for $300.00 or I couldn't afford it with the little use...but its nice to have when you need it...Tim

CX3

Well you have a nice saw in that 460.  Ive got 5 of em and they are a real worker
You Better Believe It!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on January 29, 2011, 08:50:26 PM
No body is gonna get mine for $75.

Or $100, or $150 or......... :)
I think these "Fuel & Tool" boxes are in another thread somewhere more recent.  I've been thinking about getting one but way too much money on eBay.  My daughter was actually trying to get me one as a surprise for Father's day but put a limit of $70 that she would pay.  They were going above $90 every time.
Well, been working for a guy who is not the most adept at DIY stuff.  I was looking in his tool shed for some PVC fittings and I see this fuel can with a spout on it covered in a thick layer of dust.  He neither has a lawnmower (hires it out) or a chainsaw.  So I pulled it out of the back.  Asked him about it and he said take it - came with the house.

Still has some fuel in it and the tank is clean inside.  The bottom tray is spotless on the inside but the hasps are rusty and there is a rust spot on the bottom.  There are some cracks in the red paint on the top so I will clean it up and touch it up.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Skeans1

Another good option that is available new now is this it'll carry chains in the pouch, files if you carry them, and bar wrench on the other side. The spouts are auto shut off that work as well.

btulloh

That is pretty slick.  I think I gotta have one.
HM126

btulloh

Just ordered one from Amazon.  A little pricey, but I think it's worth the price of admission.

As pointed out to me in a PM, it's not legal to be sold in the US, because it's orange instead of red.  Seems to be a loophole and it comes from a UK vendor.  My guess is the loophole could get plugged at any time and then no access from the USA.

Lot's of  reviews, and they are all very positive.  Anti-spill and auto-stop functions work well, which would of course be counter to EPA guidelines which require anti-spill mechanisms to be ineffective and cumbersome.

Auto-stop for bar oil is a pretty desirable for me, as I am really good at either overflowing the oil, or putting just a little too much to allow the cap to be screwed on fully.

With any luck, I'll still be able to figure out that red/orange thing.   :D :D  Of course this can might make it easier to put oil in the gas tank trick, but I think one time was enough for me.

Thanks for posting this Skeans1.
HM126

Skeans1

Quote from: btulloh on July 14, 2020, 07:11:07 AM
Just ordered one from Amazon.  A little pricey, but I think it's worth the price of admission.

As pointed out to me in a PM, it's not legal to be sold in the US, because it's orange instead of red.  Seems to be a loophole and it comes from a UK vendor.  My guess is the loophole could get plugged at any time and then no access from the USA.

Lot's of  reviews, and they are all very positive.  Anti-spill and auto-stop functions work well, which would of course be counter to EPA guidelines which require anti-spill mechanisms to be ineffective and cumbersome.

Auto-stop for bar oil is a pretty desirable for me, as I am really good at either overflowing the oil, or putting just a little too much to allow the cap to be screwed on fully.

With any luck, I'll still be able to figure out that red/orange thing.   :D :D  Of course this can might make it easier to put oil in the gas tank trick, but I think one time was enough for me.

Thanks for posting this Skeans1.
They are being sold in the states now I'm told by a shop in Southern Oregon I cant say for sure since I'm in the NW corner of the state.

SwampDonkey

The old hermit in ND gives a review after using his. ;)

Husqvarna Combi-can revisited - YouTube

Banjo picker

I dislike all the new fangled spouts.  Tore up a friends trying to figure it out.  Tim

Skeans1

Quote from: Banjo picker on July 14, 2020, 07:30:13 PM
I dislike all the new fangled spouts.  Tore up a friends trying to figure it out.  Tim
These ones actually work they aren't like the ones we see in the states normally.

Old Greenhorn

I read this thread as it progressed a couple of day ago. Just more info for my brain, but I didn't think much about it. Today I was over at the folks house marking logs and I poked through some stuff I haven't looked at in a while and came across this.

It doesn't have the fancy pockets and it it covered in cobwebs, but in very good shape other wise, not real wear, just dirt.

It says Wedco Industries and is made in Canada. I am sure this predates all the EPA regs. It had no spouts, so I will begin a search for something suitable. The can is marked in liters and gallons. This is much thicker and more solid than any plastic can I have bought in the last 15 years, that is for sure. I wasn't really looking for a combi-can, but I guess I have one now. Maybe this one won't suck itself inside out when it cools after being in the sun like my EPA can does.
Edit to add: I just looked closely at the date codes in the bottom photo. If I read it correctly, it was made in 1983.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Skeans1

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 16, 2020, 07:17:40 PM
I read this thread as it progressed a couple of day ago. Just more info for my brain, but I didn't think much about it. Today I was over at the folks house marking logs and I poked through some stuff I haven't looked at in a while and came across this.

It doesn't have the fancy pockets and it it covered in cobwebs, but in very good shape other wise, not real wear, just dirt.

It says Wedco Industries and is made in Canada. I am sure this predates all the EPA regs. It had no spouts, so I will begin a search for something suitable. The can is marked in liters and gallons. This is much thicker and more solid than any plastic can I have bought in the last 15 years, that is for sure. I wasn't really looking for a combi-can, but I guess I have one now. Maybe this one won't suck itself inside out when it cools after being in the sun like my EPA can does.
Edit to add: I just looked closely at the date codes in the bottom photo. If I read it correctly, it was made in 1983.
I have one of those style cans and can say they are a pain in the you know what especially if you're packing them in the brush all day. 

Wudman

I'm cheap.  I use a 5 gallon hydraulic oil bucket.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

barbender

Hmm that Husky combo caught my eye, it was just "shiny" enough I had to order one, too!😁 They were on Ebay for $150, Amazon had them or $50 with free shipping, that's a little rich for a can but if it has gas, oil, and I can keep saw tools and a chain on it, it will be worth the money👍
Too many irons in the fire

Russ_l

I bought the husky combi can a month or so back and still love it  thumbs-up

SwampDonkey

Me to, but I think it is being shipped direct from Sweden, not extra shipping or tax on it. But won't see it until September. No hurry, as most of my chainsaw work is in the spring.

teakwood

I have two of this setup with the autofill zerospill nozzles since 20years. i would never use anything else.

http://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-tools-A-great-range/Fuels-oils-and-accessories/Fuels-oils-and-canisters/063660/Canisters.aspx

need to buy the 2 auto nozzles apart
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ed_K

I just talked to Bailey's, they don't sell them anymore I didn't get an answer as to why. But I do like the one I got prob 10-12 yrs ago it's still going but I leave the spout in the pour way and use a cap from a 2 cyc oil can to cap it.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!