iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 225E VS 78 TJ 230

Started by modifier, November 14, 2017, 01:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modifier

I've been looking for a nice 225 or 230 for a couple of months.  Almost had one bought then the guy changed his mind and decided to keep it.  Then the next in line 81 225E hadn't contacted me for a while so I though he had backed out too.  So a couple of days ago I put another "Looking for a Skidder to Buy" post on a Facebook logging page and got a good hit with a guy wanting to sell his 1978 230.  Both machines are nice and about the same price.   The 225 guy is not in a hurry but the 230 guy wants the cash to buy a farm tractor, so he IS in a hurry.

I understand that in the 80s TJ started building models with the same number bigger than they did in the past.  The 230 has Eaton bigger axles and planetaries and and Eaton winch.  The 225 has Rockwell/Eatons but I think they are smaller.  The 225 guy has been skidding with it for 10 years and he has never had any issues but there are lots of stories of Rockwells breaking.  Maybe that is the older ones??  Anybody know?

Here is a list of each machine.  This will help me too.

'81 225E:  Everything taken apart a couple years ago and rebuilt if needed.  Engine was pulled, lower bearings replaced even though it didn't need it.  He says the 353 will use about a quart of oil in 5, 8hr days of pulling.  Seems good to me for a Detroit. He painted everything including the engine when he had it apart but it's been sitting outside idle for about a year. Still looks good.  Has full window screens and doors.  Everything is tight and working as it should.  Good brakes.  Lever park brake.  Trans, T-Case and Forward Revers gone though. Only damage I see is a slightly dented roof, which would be easy enough to fix if I wanted.

'78 230D:  353 recently pulled and completely rebuilt by a reputable diesel mechanic including the blower.  Has the bigger 23.1/26 tires and wheels. Has a bigger cab with 3" cage. A few dents but basically straight and original paint. Double muffler. All pivots tight or rebuilt.  Good brakes. Lever park and micro loc.  Trans, T-Case and Forward Revers supposed to be checked out, minor rebuild where needed and working fine.  Looks like it has a home built landing area/ rear fenders (I don't know what the right term is) below the arch, but they did a good job. Maybe a little grinding required to clean it up to paint.  From the looks of the wear on the clutch pedal it was not used much and not abused.

It's hard to choose.  What do you guys think?

modifier

modifier

Guess that is not allowed either

lopet

I am no expert here, but that 225 looks pretty straight.  Wait for the TJ guys to chime in.  :)

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Maine logger88

That 225 looks really nice! Is the 230 as nice as that one? Not sure what you are doing with it is it going to be a part time machine or are you going to use it full time? the rockwells in my 225 have held up great and I've asked that thing to do things that a 225 really shouldn't do. The only thing I've done to them is put a rear ring and pinion in this fall but that's it in the 5 years I've had it
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Neilo

That 225 has Rockwell pr75 axles. They are definitely stronger than the little planetaries in the smaller machines like a 207. But I would say the Eatons in the 230 are stronger than the pr75.

The two machines sound similar.

Neilo

Show us some photos of the rear frame on the 230. From the blurry fb photo, it looks like the rear frame could be from a different machine. Or painted.

modifier

If you were on facebook you saw all the photos I have.  I'd say the rear apron is home made.  I've looked everywhere for the "Gallery" button to add photos but can't find it.  The moderator added those pics for me but didn't add any of the 230.

thecfarm

modifier,just click onto your user name,that will be your Profile,than click onto VISIT MY GALLERY and that will bring you to your gallery. I saw the rear apron. Than do this to post a picture.

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture or posting a comment. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed

Looks like a lot,but it's nice to make things look neat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Quote from: modifier on November 15, 2017, 09:35:07 AM
The moderator added those pics for me but didn't add any of the 230.

Look up, little grasshopper.  The two machines are in the second post.   :)
Say when

lopet

modifier, you have seven files in your gallery and they all appear to be from the 225. If you have pics from a 230 you have to upload them first.  Just sayn, correct me if I am wrong.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

modifier

Yes, all those photos are of the 225 Eaton.  I'm not even sure how they got in my gallery.  I guess it was an accident since every time I try to add a photo it won't work.  I'm usually pretty computer savvy but this site has me baffled. So many steps involved involved to do such simple stuff, it's like it's 1985 lol.  I may have just figure it out by changing a setting.

The 230 isn't quite as clean but pretty close.

On the FB post almost everyone who commented said Buy the 230! Basically because it has bigger Eaton axles.  But the 225 is an Eaton machine too so I think it also has Eaton axles, just smaller, but I'll bet still strong enough for what I'm doing.   

I decided to solve the dilema, since I was having trouble deciding which machine to get....I bought both. Ha!

I figure I'll work the 230 as is and make the 225 even nicer to take to farm shows, maybe work it a bit too.  The smaller tires with ice chains should work will in the snow, if I get any of that in Ark this winter.

modifier

I don't know if people can see my photo titles as they were on my computer with names of the guys who I'm buying them from but people from here or from Facebook are trying to go around me and buy the skidders buy contacting the owners.  I never mentioned any names.  So until I know no pics.

coxy

that's your fault for putting them on facebook  :)   most of us don't even know where your from and to start pointing fingers at us ???   let us know if and when you find out who it is   ;D

Gary_C

Don't blame me either there paranoid guy, I'm not on facebook anyway.  :)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

First off not a great way to start off as a new member. Second off,we have no idea where you are buying that skidder from.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

Posting pics on this site is a piece of cake once you learn how to do it. We all had to go through that.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

Facebook, what's that ?  ;D Lots of knowledgeable TJ guys on this site, just try not to mess with them.

Neilo

As I said, the 225 has Rockwell axles, not Eaton.

I only saw one blurry photo of the 230 on a trailer.

And I don't want them. I am in Australia.

larry1

They are both good skidders , glad to hear you bought both . It does have Rockwells like my 230D . Hope the pic. gets in this reply. I'll post and update pic.of the old girl in the spring since she's now painted. 

Thank You Sponsors!