iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

allison woes

Started by woodmills1, June 01, 2010, 09:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

replaced the spin on filter on the allison in the 4500 a month ago and didn't like the color of the fluid. So, I drained the 9 quarts in the pan and really didn't like the color of the fluid.   was planning to drive 1000 miles and replace the filter, the in pan filter and 9 quarts again but paid to have it done at a local trans guy I know does good work. 

BAD news  real metal in the pan and the in trans filter.  Something is self destructing in the allison.  So, it looks like at least 3 grand and a week with no truck.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Burlkraft

That's odd. Those are pretty tough trannys.

I got 269,000 tough miles on mine and it's still puuuurrin' along
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ely

almost 130,000 here on mine and no trouble yet.... but i am real easy on equipment ::) ;D

Roxie

Ours lost reverse at 100,004.  Warranty did cover it because we had it in the shop complaining about sluggish shifting 4 times before it just wouldn't reverse.  We have the heavy duty towing package because it is used daily. 

Sign me, unimpressed. 
Say when

Ironwood

Well, that's intersting, never heard of any issue w/ n Allison. Guess they aren't magic afterall.

I will still get on in medium duty truck as they make driving easier.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SPIKER

when they first came out a HOTFOOT driver friend of ours traded in a F350 with 280K on it for a NEW chevy & Allison combo.   it blew the trans at 45K they replaced it and torq converter which they said caused it under warranty, then came back and said since he was driving it professionally the handed him a 4800 bill!   paid the bill eventually I guess.   He had a 2nd one that did nearly same thing built within a few days of each other that he got 2 weeks after the first truck.  It lasted to about 75K and was loosing either revers or first I forget which.  He drove the two of them over to the Ford Dealer and traded them in on a NEW F450 and has not looked back.   He puts 3 to 5 trucks on the road hauling HOTFOOT loads working with local trucking company and usually puts 250~300K on a truck in little over 18 months and trades em in.   Said he will never buy a Chevy again after those (NEW) at the time Chevy Powered allisons.   This was back years ago now when they first came out with these transmissions, what ever year that was.   I have not seen him in years but see his trucks heading through town often...

Markm
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

woodmills1

mine is a 2005  had a 1 year 12k warrenty, planning on calling chevy but don't think there is a pony in their stable.  3 to 5 k is the estimate for repair.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LeeB

I knew two girls named Allison back when I was a right young feller. I wanted one to be my girlfriend and the other wanted me to be her boyfriend. Niether matchup happened, but i did larn how to smooch between the two. Trouble with Allisons seams to be a common thing.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Burlkraft

Quote from: LeeB on June 02, 2010, 07:45:19 PM
I wanted one to be my girlfriend and the other wanted me to be her boyfriend.

Don't the French have a word for that..........?
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Smart to go with two that have the same name.

It is when their names are different and out comes the wrong name when you're smoochin with the other.   ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

Marco, who I bought the truck from, has a friend at banks chevy in concord NH.  He asked his friend about the metal.  Friend said, no noise, no high temp, no shift problems, drive it 1000 miles and bring it to him.  Friend is GM allison certified, and will sell me a GM rebuild for 3 grand plus instal.  They both think the local trans guy is hungry for work.

So I go to my most rusted friend, with 26 years at toyata and ask him, but don't tell him about marcos frien.  He says the same thing....no noise, no heat, no shift problems.  then he says you should see what I find in oil pans. :D

woodmills1

so

I asked everyone I know who does repair

they all said, "no heat, no noise, no shift problems so don't take it apart" 

so I didn't  updates to follow

dewwood

I will be interested to see the outcome.  Hopefully it will be to your benefit.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ive never been a fan of autos myself apart from my falcon ute which goes ok and i only brought it because it was the rite price i would have brought a manual if i could   ;) I know ill never buy a truck/tractor  with an auto in it Manuals just lastt longer without the headakes  ;) I hope it comes good for you Woodmills Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!