iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

circular saw mill

Started by okie, May 22, 2007, 04:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okie

One of my bosses at work has a circular mill that runs off the pto on his tractor, it is old but man can it cut lumber ( it cuts alot faster than he can load logs but he says his tractor isnt really big enough for it :D). The mill itself is a very simple design and looks like it would be easier to build than a band mill and cheaper. I spoke to a welder at work and he looked at it and said he'd weld up the frame for $150.00 if I supply the steel and thats a huge buddy discount. I intend on building it using a 300 ford straight 6 as a drive. Any thoughts on this other than most people hate circular sawmills? I have the motor and tranny as welll as a front differential that I would use as a 90 degree gear box so my costs would be negligable at best, and thats what I am looking for. If anyone has any Ideas on this I would love to hear, or if anyone has pictures of different styles of small circular mills I would love to see em.

Thank you.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you stick around and we can get to know one another.

Can ya post a pic of that PTO mill?  Sure would like to see it.  :)  Like to hear how it gets a log cut up too.

Don't think yur comment "most people hate circular mills" is very accurate. Also, don't think anyone will hold it agin you for going ahead and makin one for yourself.  :)  Get R dun.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

GO FOR IT!!!  When my mill was new, Foley-Belsaw published a magazine/news letter with pictures of people running their mill.  Some folks supposedly pulled them with something as small as a Super C Farmall (don't know exactly, but around 25 HP).  Can't believe they cut much wood.  I've never used anything smaller than a 4020..........94 PTO HP.  A 24 inch red oak log will make it "talk".   :)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Ron Wenrich

Are you more interested in building the mill or sawing lumber?  The reason I ask, you can buy a Foley-Belsaw mill for $3-4,000 and it comes with the headsaw.  There are other types of mill that are, shall we say inexpensive.  They might be good for parts, such as headblocks, setworks, and the like. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

You can usually find them (belsaw) in the 1500 to 2500 dollar range around here in running order.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum okie.You're all over the place on the forum.That's good,keep asking questions.Wish I could be of some help,but whatever you do good luck.Let us know with some pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tomboysawyer

I found a circle mill about an hour from here that someone was willing to give me for free if I would 1) move it and 2) put it in operation.

The owner preferred his Woodmizer - because he could do it himself and because the cost to hire, insure, and babysit helpers was too steep.

I don't remember what it was, but it was run by a big diesel (which I could have had for $1000 - it and a parts diesel).

I looked at a variety of Belsaws from $500 to $1000 in the northeast. Then listened to the owner of the big saw because I wanted to saw wood - by myself or with my hubby.

Not that hubby didn't enjoy helping rebuild the bandsaw... (metal lovin' guy, wood lovin' gal)

woody1

Just up the road from me a guy has a belsaw for $800.00. There are a few circle mill lovers on the forum. By the way, the belsaw has a headsaw, too.  :o :o :o
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Ron Wenrich

With a little automation, you can make a circle operation a one man show. 

A guy up the road from me had a 2 man operation.  They sawed ties and lumber.  The slabs were chipped, and the one not sawing stacked and edged the lumber.  It would very easily be converted to a one man operation. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

I could run our 3 to 5 man operation single handed single handed, just by putting a start stop switch for the green chain in the saw booth.  Production would fall astronomically, but I could have done it and still sawed a couple three thousand feet a day I imagine. (instead of 20 to 30)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

okie

Boy, I'd like to thank everyone for their replies, Lord knows I need the help.
I have had plans to build a house mortgage free for the last couple years and through a lot of planning, saving and praying it looks like I will most likely kick this venture off this summer. I am not interested in making the mill as a hobby and will only be milling lumber for personal use on the house, and maybe on halves on cherry trees my buddy has. I asked my boss today what brand that mill was and he said it was a timberking, he bought it at a farm auction for $400. He said that it is old but had'nt hardly been used. I will try and get out there and get a pic when it is convient for him.
If I can find a mill for sell for $1000 or less in driving distance from me I imagine I will be all over it.

I meant no offense by the comment about people hating circular mills, I have just not seen a great deal of favorable comments on them as opposed to negative ones. My Idea of it is that if it cuts good lumber, then it's a good mill whether it is a circular mill, bandmill, chainsaw mill or whatever.

I am all over the place on here because I'm kinda like a kid in a candy store. I've been bouncing all around for info for log construction, sawmills, timberframing etc. and this board seems to have it all.
THank Yall.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

379hammerdown

Oh yeah... this is THE place for info on trees, mills, lumber, and all related topics for sure! I dont say a whole lot here.. but I probably read ever word that gets typed... at least in the "Sawmills and Milling" area! Have fun & stick around!

Thank You Sponsors!