iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things that get on my NERVES!!!!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 31, 2014, 10:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I was on Craig's List looking at an antique FIRESTONE AM-FM radio from the 50's. I am kind of interested in it for 50 bucks.
The guy says its in its original condition, original knobs and original cord.

Then he says....."Not sure if it works".

Is this guy that STUPID ?

Plug the DanG thing in and post the out come.    electricuted-smiley

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

How about when they post pictures of the truck they want to sell that they took at night..... with the headlights on.... from 100 yards away. ::)

My favorites are the "looking to trade".

"1998 Truck, lifted, chipped, 1,000 watt amp, blacked out lights, 33" swamp buggy tires, needs some work. Will trade for 2014 Ram 3500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel."  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're right Jack......I mean WT? are they thinking?  :D

Delawhere Jack

Magicman

If you have a need for it David, buy it.  There is a 90%+ chance that a 35W4 rectifier tube will fix it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Probably means the cord was chewed off by a mouse and he is afraid fixing it will lower the value.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 01, 2014, 08:02:05 AM
If you have a need for it David, buy it.  There is a 90%+ chance that a 35W4 rectifier tube will fix it.   ;D

I just thought it would look nice sitting out in my Store Building. I will simmer on your advice.  smiley_thumbsup

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on April 01, 2014, 08:02:05 AMIf you have a need for it David, buy it.  There is a 90%+ chance that a 35W4 rectifier tube will fix it.   ;D 
I misspoke about the 35W4 tube.  In a 50's radio, it would be a 35Z5 rectifier tube.  The 35W4 came along later.  A less common tube failure would be the 50L6 power amplifier tube.  Buy it and if it is not working, we will fix it.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coast Steve

When they post on a picture of their USED item but the picture is a BRAND NEW item they just grab of the web.
So you don't really know what you're looking at to buy.

Delawhere Jack

When you post or renew a milling service ad, and within hours you get a call from some old coot who wants to chat for an hour about milling his SWEET GUM TREES!!!  >:(

I'll swear some people just sit there and keep refreshing the CL site for entertainment. They see something interesting, but which they have no serious interest, so they call you just to pass the time......  >:(

Herb Brooks

OntarioAl

Shopping carts left all over the parking lot.
Al Raman

Woodheat

It would have taken the guy less time to check if it worked than actually posting it! To me that means...it probably doesn't work!

Chuck White

Why does my cell phone have to make that annoying musical jingle whenever I turn it on?

Why can't it just quietly turn on when I push the button?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

julio

If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on April 01, 2014, 10:54:10 PM
Quote from: Magicman on April 01, 2014, 08:02:05 AMIf you have a need for it David, buy it.  There is a 90%+ chance that a 35W4 rectifier tube will fix it.   ;D 
I misspoke about the 35W4 tube.  In a 50's radio, it would be a 35Z5 rectifier tube.  The 35W4 came along later.  A less common tube failure would be the 50L6 power amplifier tube.  Buy it and if it is not working, we will fix it.   smiley_thumbsup
Dang Magicman, you are showing your technical age  ;D I may still have one or two 50L6's in a box somewhere, doubt if I could find them. I don't have any problem remembering what I have, but have a major problem remembering where it is
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

There is nothing that could go wrong with those old 5 tube radios that I could not fix.  For several years I made "house calls" and fixed radios, and actually had a nice profitable business for a teenager in high school.  I even remember where my old parts boxes are.  I ordered my tubes and parts from Allied Radio Corp. in Chicago.   :)

SPIKER

I had one of the old Portable Tube Testers in a Radio/TV Tube testers "Kit" that was left on the farm when I bought it.   It had probably 50 NOS tubes of all types, tried to sell it on CL for year or so and finally had a barn clearing-yard sale.   Some old guy (MM maybe? :D ) stopped and offered me 5 bucks.   :D By that time I was tired of trying to get what even one tube was worth and let him have it.   Dang if I didn't get a email next day from someone who repairs guitar amps & said he would send me $150 to ship just the tubes to him in Chicago... ::)   Kind of the way it always works  :(

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

terry f

Narcissistic people get on my nerves.

luvmexfood

People who drive below the speed limit in the passing lane.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

GAB

Pineywoods said: " I don't have any problem remembering what I have, but have a major problem remembering where it is"
Welcome to my world: filing is great, retrieval now that is a different matter.
Poston: Let us know when your on your last nerve.  I do not want to see you go postal.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

yukon cornelius

things on craigslist are as follows:

someone calls and or texts for hours only to tell you that its too far of a drive for them when the location is clearly on the add

someone tells you they are coming to look at the item and then never shows. (one guy led me on for a few hours calling a few times for directions and says he is almost here and then an after hour after the last contact I call him to see if he is lost and he says he went home.)

"whats your best price" before any other questions looking at it or knowing where its at. show up with money and we will talk.

wanting us to drive an hour or 2 so I can sell them a $20 piece or to give them a free item. sure I would love to spend $50 in fuel to sell you a $5 item.

seeing a "rare 8n ford tractor" for sale. they are as common as grass in a yard, well not my yard, but a yard with grass.

scammers

a picture of a picture of your item for sale. if you own it and a camera take a picture of it.

a picture of what the item looked like in the 70s. get a current picture.

I think im grumpy today. I could go on and on but I best get to work. I have a lot of stuff to put on craigslist today haha!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

36 coupe

Quote from: SPIKER on April 02, 2014, 10:13:22 PM
I had one of the old Portable Tube Testers in a Radio/TV Tube testers "Kit" that was left on the farm when I bought it.   It had probably 50 NOS tubes of all types, tried to sell it on CL for year or so and finally had a barn clearing-yard sale.   Some old guy (MM maybe? :D ) stopped and offered me 5 bucks.   :D By that time I was tired of trying to get what even one tube was worth and let him have it.   Dang if I didn't get a email next day from someone who repairs guitar amps & said he would send me $150 to ship just the tubes to him in Chicago... ::)   Kind of the way it always works  :(

Mark  I sold 2 tubes to a supplier for 125.00 each.There were a number I never saw in my years of radio/tv repair.Found they were used in movie theater sound systems that were still in use.The tubes were very hard to find.Horizontal output tubes that sold for 9 bucks were bringing 50 bucks last time I sold some.Most old tubes are worth little but some are like gold.

Magicman

Quote from: 36 coupe on April 05, 2014, 04:48:09 AMThe tubes were very hard to find.Horizontal output tubes that sold for 9 bucks were bringing 50 bucks last time I sold some. Most old tubes are worth little but some are like gold. 

Sounds like they were 6L6's.

dgdrls

I try not to waste energy on these things, however

Calling Law Enforcement Officers "Cops"   It always sounded disrespectful to me.

DGDrls

Roxie

I join you in the word "cops" being annoying, I much prefer to hear police officer, or at least officer.

Along that same line, the use of the word "kids" for children.  Maybe my farm background is just offended. 

If you ask Cowboy Bob what get's on his nerves, it would be that the words "cop" and "kids" bother me.  He just rolls his eyes.   :D 
Say when

sandhills

Right now it's pop ups!!!  My wife and daughter downloaded some new version of something or other the other night and now it's literally constant pop ups  :snowball:.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: dgdrls on April 05, 2014, 08:43:08 AM

Calling Law Enforcement Officers "Cops"   It always sounded disrespectful to me.

DGDrls [/color]

Do you know how this was started?

underdog

People that post up a for sale on the web then only take phone calls.
Why? If you only want phone calls place an add in a paper!

People that want to trade only.
They usually got some weird idea like 1994 Buick Roadmaster will trade for late model Toyota.
You contact them and try to price it; They could take the cash and get the vehicle of there dreams.
No way! It is not for sale.

Chuck White

I think the word/phrase COP came here from England.

C-constable  O-on  P-patrol
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

Or the fact that the word "COP" is a shortened version of the metal "COPPER".
Many of the first law enforcement identification badges, or shields, were made from copper.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on April 06, 2014, 07:49:32 AM
Or the fact that the word "COP" is a shortened version of the metal "COPPER".
Many of the first law enforcement identification badges, or shields, were made from copper.

This is correct. New York was the first city to have Police Officers. They had copper buttons on their uniforms.
The public started off calling them "Coppers"....then shortened it to 'Cops".

redprospector

Being disrespectful to COP's in New Mexico could get you shot.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

scgargoyle

I'm on craigslist all the time, and get a lot of entertainment (and frustration) out of it. What I don't understand is this- even if English is your second (or third) language, how can you not get the spelling right even if it's right in the picture!? You're selling a Milwaukee tool; I can see the name right there, and yet you still spell it wrong? Some words are butchered so bad I look at the ad just to figure out what they are selling.

The biggest frustration I have is people who don't answer when you email or call. I have a gmail account, and I've heard many sellers automatically ignore messages from gmail accounts because they are often scammers. Then how do I contact the seller? I have repeatedly called some ads, though, and never gotten through, even though the ad continues to run. Is it for sale or not?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

I am very cautious about craigslist e-mail responses.  You can usually tell from what is written if the contact is legitimate or not.  If I have any doubt, I will not answer it.  The scammers are trying to get into your e-mail account, so they usually say "e-mail me" somewhere in the message.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

terry f

There used to be a reality show called that, I think its the one that started it all.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: terry f on April 07, 2014, 01:29:59 PM
    There used to be a reality show called that, I think its the one that started it all.

I don't know, I seem to remember movies from the 30's where James Cagney's character call policemen "coppers"...

Herb

terry f

I meant started the so called reality shows.

caveman

Peripheral neuropathy gets on my nerves.  Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!