iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milled Pecan the last 2 days…..but what is this?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 18, 2014, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Milled some really nice Pecan Lumber for a customer the last 2 days.....but what is the name
of the little worm in the last pic? Is it the dreaded WDH bug he sprays for?

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Seaman

That's the famous " adds more value to every plank worm".
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

ozarkgem

I am guessing they have been setting for a while or are dead. They do that to the Pecan and Hickory around here. Sometimes my wood pile is full of sawdust from these bugs if I don't get it burned up withing a year.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They're not dead. When I sawed the lumber yesterday....I didn't see them.
When we loaded the lumber today.....they were coming out squirming!

WDH

Ambrosia beetles.  They love pecan.  They are leaving because the wood is drying out, even if cut only a day or two.  They need the moisture in the log to complete their life cycle.  This is not the dreaded bug that I spray for.  That is for powderpost beetles.  They like your dried wood.  Like your dried lumber and the wood in your house, too  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hilltop366

Its lunch if you have enough of them....just think fried in butter with some gr... ;D

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

I have some boards that look like that. Not sure if it is ambrosia or powder-puff bugs but I kinda like it!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 18, 2014, 09:55:53 PM
I have some boards that look like that. Not sure if it is ambrosia or powder-puff bugs but I kinda like it!

You better decide which bug it is..........QUICK!  :D

Delawhere Jack

If you put some in a bowl, with some milk............ Do they Snap, Crackle and Pop?  :)

sandhills

WDH

Ambrosia beetle holes/tunnels are black lined from a fungus that the beetle brings in on its body.  The tunnels are open.  With powderpost beetles, the holes and tunnels are not black lined, and the tunnels are filled with frass (chewed up, excreted, sawdust).  Poston's tunnels are black lined, open, and there is no excrement  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 18, 2014, 10:13:23 PM
Poston's tunnels are black lined, open, and there is no excrement  :).

We clean up our excrement around here. "See the Outhouse Thread".  :D

hackberry jake

Im not surprised his tunnels are black lined, have you seen what goats will eat?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Seaman

Not sure if this will move to FOOD or RESTRICTED TOPICS !
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!