iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The most overlooked maintenance issue around the mill yard.

Started by DARRELL1972, June 24, 2019, 08:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I'm NEVER without a few cans of wasp spray. :D :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

CCCLLC

A little late to the party but mine seems to be the contacts and springs on my older lt40 hd. Those 4 way valves are close in there and tough to do any preventive maintenance. So always trying to take notice of any "odd" feel in the handle.

caveman

I'm Not at the sawmill but at my parents' place in Franklin, NC today and a wasp nailed me in the neck. There were two nests and I did not have any spray. The soapy dishwater did them in.  

Caveman

YellowHammer

They seem particularly mean this year.  We have been steadily killing nests.  The more we kill, the more pop up.  We had two people get stung last week.  Seems like every open hole drilled in the mill or roller tables is getting nested in.  They are nesting in the down tubes of our gates, and the door frames.  

No mercy is given by either side.  This is the view from the controls.  A bottle of water and a can of wasp spray.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Resonator

I use spray adhesive for wasps. Spray them in flight and their wings stick together, and immediately fall to the ground. Flame throwers work good for the paper wasp nests, but not good around buildings. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

farmfromkansas

The coop is selling these sticky traps, similar to the ones you add water to, and I hung one up at the farm and it is collecting mud dobbers.  Didn't know of anything that worked on those, but the sticky traps do. The more noise they make, the more wasps come and get stuck.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

WV Sawmiller

I was at the dentist office this morning and while waiting for my wife (A common occurrence) and I noticed a big red wasp investigating my power mirror on my truck apparently planning on setting up residence there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Is it because of where you live that you have to go to the dentist so often?  :D  :D  :D  Sorry - you left the door wide open on that one!!   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

SS,

I think it is because I have a cracked tooth my dentist has been trying to pull for 2 years and I have refused and finally went for an implant consult today. Actually I do have my regular dentist appointment tomorrow then back Monday to get the bad tooth out and start the implant process.

And yes I have heard the WV Toothbrush vs Teethbrush joke ever since I moved to WV.  ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

WV-

On a more serious note I think a new member may have contacted you recently as he will be in your area coming up pretty soon, if you two get the chance to meet up I can tell you it will be time well spent.  He loves to fish as much as you do and has supplied me with a couple of really, really, good meals already.  Good luck with the tooth!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

SS,

I will be looking forward to the visit. I may only be eating grits and soft eggs at the time but we'll treat him the best we can. :(
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!