iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Over two feet...

Started by Tillaway, January 31, 2006, 08:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tillaway

of rain has fallen this month.  Actually once the storm that is hitting now passes it will be more like 26".  We have had almost three feet in the mountains where I work.  So far we have only had one flood that came through town.  Its kind of funny... the local Safeway grocery store sand bags the store in the fall, it sits in the middle of the flood zone, so all they have to do is throw a few bags across the door ways to prevent the flood water from coming in.  After the big flood in 96 they redesigned some of the roads to be lower and serve as canals to move the high waters out of town.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Woodwalker

Send some of this way. It hasn't rained but once here in the last three-four months. We're 10-12 inches behind.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Daren

I sent a box of thin wood squares for her artwork UPS to a lady last week up your way. She e-mailed me and said she got a message on her machine from them saying it had to be picked up at the terminal or she would have to wait until they could get to her. I thought that was weird, flooding in the mountians?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Texas Ranger

Woodwalker, did they set the world on fire over your way today (Tuesday)?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

Daren, it flood's sometimes "in" the mountains, just not "on" the mountains. ;) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tillaway

Daren ...Wind, slides, blown down trees, floods... If you are off the main highway you better carry a chainsaw.  It helps to carry one on the highway too. ::)  If I were to try to drive to Portland tonight I would carry the saw.  If it gets too bad you park in the open and wait.  We had wind gusts to 92 mph on Sunday in town.  It's a bit windier out towards the beach.  On my way home from work the head wind made the car shift down just to keep it a 50.

sawguy21

Tillaway, how come you and Frank are keeping all that moisture to yourselves? By the time that system gets here there is none left. Driest winter we have ever seen. Less than 1 inch of snow in January :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gilman

I'm sick of the rain. Frank and Tillaway are sending plenty to their border friends.  I'm going to have a covered forklift path at my next place.  There's been quite a few up rooted trees lately.

I stopped and talked to a customer that was cutting up a beauty screen on a piece he just logged this summer.  I asked him what happened.

Customer: "I was coming home and PUD was clearing a tree from the power lines.  I stopped and asked the lead man what he thought I should do with the rest of the stand.  Right about then he screams at one of his crew to, "Move that truck."   #2 then blew over where the truck was just parked.

The customer was beginning to seriously consider just removing the remainder of the trees.  Low and behold #3, #4 & #5 headed over.

The PUD leadman just looked at the customer and the customer said, "I'll drop what remains once the wind dies down."

Looks like I'll be back sawing this spring once it STOPS RAINING!
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

tmullen

Make it STOP!!!!

We can't pour our foundation due to all the rain nor cal is getting. Instead of building a house I think we will build a boat. We are now at 130% of normal rainfall and all the storms have been warm, we should have snow here at 4000' but the snow levels are up around 5500'. I'm ready for spring or at least a fire assignment to texas,new mexico or oklahoma.

tmullen
when in doubt
fire out

Frank_Pender

I am about half afraid to msake a tour of the Tree Farm to find more trees down. :'(
Frank Pender

Woodwalker

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 31, 2006, 10:07:36 PM
Woodwalker, did they set the world on fire over your way today (Tuesday)?

Texas Ranger, I heard there was a controlled burn off FM 2025.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Tillaway

We finished January with 27".  Even the old lifetime locals are getting a bit blue over this rain.  I wish we could the rest of you some... how about the next storm pass us and hit Texas.  By the way we have lots of fire equipment sitting around, I'm sure we could find some volunteers to go to Texas.

Sawguy  Talk to Paul H.. I am sure he is getting more then he needs.

Frank_Pender

At Laural Mountain, about 14 miles as the crow flys, due West into the Coast Range, they have recorded a little over 40" for the month of January. :-*
Frank Pender

srjones

....sigh.......

It's my fault...I saw this coming and didn't stop it... :D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=14955.0

I don't suppose anybody wants to hear that I just spent two days in Phoenix, and they're complaining that it has NOT rained at ALL in 103 days.   The TPC (FBR Open in Scottsdale) Golf course sure was nice though... :D

All things being equal, I'd be more worried if it didn't rain enough...
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Tillaway

Looks like I will have to nail the shed door shut.

ORZ001-002-WAZ021-040600-
/O.CON.KPQR.HW.W.0010.060204T0400Z-060204T2000Z/
NORTH OREGON COAST-CENTRAL OREGON COAST-SOUTH WASHINGTON COAST-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ASTORIA...CANNON BEACH...TILLAMOOK..
LINCOLN CITY...NEWPORT...FLORENCE...RAYMOND...LONG BEACH..
CATHLAMET
223 PM PST FRI FEB 3 2006

...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO
12 PM PST SATURDAY FOR THE SOUTH WASHINGTON AND NORTH AND CENTRAL
OREGON COAST..

A HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO
12 PM PST SATURDAY.

A RAPIDLY DEVELOPING STORM WELL OFFSHORE WILL SWEEP THROUGH THE
NORTH PACIFIC...REACHING VANCOUVER ISLAND BY EARLY SATURDAY. A
VERY STRONG COLD FRONT WILL MOVE TO THE COAST BY 11 PM TONIGHT.
ALONG WITH THE FRONT...STRONG DAMAGING WINDS WILL BEGIN.

STRONG SOUTH WINDS WERE DEVELOPING ALONG THE COAST LATE THIS
AFTERNOON. THESE WINDS WILL INCREASE IN STRENGTH THIS EVENING.
SOUTH WINDS ARE FORECAST TO BECOME 30 TO 45 MPH THIS EVENING...WITH
FREQUENT GUSTS OVER 60 MPH. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL OCCUR OVER OPEN
BEACHES AND HEADLANDS...WITH SUSTAINED WINDS REACHING 45 TO 55
MPH AND GUSTS OF 80 TO 90 MPH.

WINDS WILL EASE SATURDAY AFTERNOON...DECREASING TO 25 TO 30 MPH.

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS HAZARDOUS WEATHER CONDITIONS OF STRONG
AND DAMAGING WINDS ARE IMMINENT OR HIGHLY LIKELY IN THE WARNING
AREA.
$$

Frank_Pender

I just heard a few minutes ago, that some areas may get winds upwards of 90 mph or better.  Hold onto your tin hat and get the generator ready.  The Hebo Road will be a mess tomorrow as welland Highway 18.  You had better carry a chainsaw for sure.  Alice and I did a walkabout yesterday afternoon.  I lost another load or two in the canyon due to winds and rain.  Much of the area looks like a couple of bombs hit.  What a mess.   :'( :'( :'(
Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

Couple of rain storm systems here this weekend to, but not heavy rain. Was quite windy yeatserday, but not as windy as Tillaway said, almost dead calm this am. Everything is ice and the small streams are open, been open all winter. Lakes, beaver ponds and parts of the main river are still froze stiff, some ice jams. I saw some tiny trout in a little stream last week and that place is usually bone dry in summer. We did get some heavy rain the first of the month of Jan and my basement was floating in water, had to sump pump it out for a few hours.  Never seen that in January before. 2005 was the wettest year on record here. It's gonna be terrible wet this spring when stuff thaws. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tmullen

Winds are 10 to 15 with gusts to 35 right now and the rain is just sheeting down.

Yesterday it was uper 50s and sunny, I think it was the first day we saw the sun in close to a month.
It was so nice yesterday I went up to the nieghbors place and fell a 32" fir he wanted taken out since it leaned over the house. I got 4 12' logs that scaled out to 750 bdf and he took the rest for fire wood. Now I just need a decent day to mill them thar logs.
when in doubt
fire out

Mr Mom

One inch of rain=how much snoww???

Thanks Mr Mom

IMERC

i'll trade ya my 20 plus feet of snow for some of that rain..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Onthesauk

Mr. Mom . . . . think it is about 10 to 1, snow to rain.  But really depends on what kind of snow too.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Tillaway

Not too bad I slept through this one. :)  The one before was worse.

Wind speed just down the road.

Time Wind Wind WX Clouds 6 Hr
Direction Speed   Min
(PST)  (mph)   Temp
04 Feb 7:55 am SW 31   26
04 Feb 7:25 am SW 37   
04 Feb 6:55 am SSW 41   
04 Feb 6:25 am SSW 38G49   39
04 Feb 5:55 am SSW 43   
04 Feb 5:25 am S 53   
04 Feb 4:55 am S 44G58   
04 Feb 4:25 am S 45   
04 Feb 3:55 am S 45   
04 Feb 3:25 am S 48   
04 Feb 2:55 am S 51   
04 Feb 2:25 am S 47   
04 Feb 1:55 am S 40   
04 Feb 1:25 am S 51   
04 Feb 12:55 am S 49   
04 Feb 12:25 am SSE 55G67   
03 Feb 11:55 pm SSE 39   
03 Feb 11:25 pm SE 45   
03 Feb 10:55 pm SSE 52   
03 Feb 10:25 pm SSE 46   
03 Feb 9:55 pm S 53G67   
03 Feb 9:25 pm SSE 56   
03 Feb 8:55 pm SSE 47   
03 Feb 8:25 pm SE 30   
03 Feb 7:55 pm SE 39   
03 Feb 7:25 pm SE 31 

IMERC

Quote from: Mr Mom on February 04, 2006, 10:50:10 AM
     One inch of rain=how much snoww???

Thanks Mr Mom

8" of wet dense or 12" of fluffy...

truckwrench

would trade lots of dry windjavascriptjavascript:void(0);
Angry
Angry for snow or rain, have not got any snow in three months ,really worried about fire.

IMERC

come and get all ya can carry....

Thank You Sponsors!