iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash ID in South Carolina

Started by Okrafarmer, February 14, 2013, 08:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

And all this time I was hoping that white ash had white bark, and green ash had green bark.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 17, 2013, 03:03:10 PM
It cut fairly easily with the chainsaw (not like hickory), and smelled a bit like burned wood (like hickory does, but definitely softer). Another possibility could be basswood,
Ash in the green live state is relatively easy to cut .If it' s dead like all of ours although they retain moisture they are hard as a rock .I've been debating that subject with my learned  bud Swampish for some time .Now of course both of us being rather firm minded won't give an inch . :D

Basswood is soft and I doubt would ever get hard unless you brine soaked the lumber or something .Fact it's so soft in the green state a well sharpened chainsaw chain will pull big long fluffy chips that look like planer chips .

I've got pics of both ash and basswood and if you want I'll post them but I figured most people know the difference already .

Okrafarmer

Well, I haven't dealt much with either one in a long time, but at least I can tell the difference when the leaves are on.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on February 18, 2013, 08:31:03 PM
So, the upland ash where the bark goes from ridged, then to blocky, then back to ridged, then back to blocky is usually white ash?  Almost knobby, like a big upland balckgum?

Yes, the knobby ash bark is almost always white ash. It can be almost identical to upland blackgum until you cut into it. The ash bark will be soft and a light khaki color when cut, while blackgum will be crumbly and have light brown and dark brown splotches when cut. Blackgum is a chameleon. It likes to look like sweetgum, too. But sweetgum bark is the color of dried blood when you cut into it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

I have not paid much attention to bark differences in the two up here, Our white ash has a brown tinge to the bark and diamond shape when young. It almost always has white spots (not lichen or fungus) on the younger bark like young maple and young large tooth aspen. When the tree is quite old it looses this diamond pattern and tends to become flat ridged and scaly in narrow strips maybe 6" long.

Around here, if you have to wade water to get to an ash, it's black ash. The white ash is an upland tree, but rich deep soils with lots of moisture, black humic soil, but well drained and always with sugar maple (or aspen), sometimes butternut and basswood. Red maple may be present, but not a good indicator because it grows on a wide range of sites. If there is black ash with it, the black ash will be around wet water soaked sites. Never see white ash in glacial sand type soil. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!