iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Consulting forester in Penn.

Started by ellmoe, February 27, 2014, 06:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellmoe

I have a customer that shares ownership of several hundred acres of timberland in Pike Co.. He is interested in cutting his timber (heavy cherry, he says), and I advised him to employ a consultant. Now I am looking for recommendations and interested consultants.
Please contact me through the forum.
Thanks,
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

banksiana

He should start with calling an NRCS office.  There is some great incentives in PA right now to create early successional habitat.  Actual cash incentive payments from the government.   They will also have a list of qualified foresters.   Don't highgrade that stuff!  Manage it properly with an eye on regeneration and limiting exotic invasive species instead of counting the dollars from timber. 

Ron Wenrich

The first thing you need is a management plan.  Being interested in just cutting timber is opening the door for high grading.  You don't need a consultant to high grade, although many would oblige.  Any long term objectives?

DCNR maintains a list of qualified foresters.  Not all on the list are consultants.  Some work for mills.  Some consultants work the same as a mill would work, as far as management goes.  I can't give any recommendations, but I would recommend you talk to several, and not just the first one that responds. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ellmoe

Thanks for the replies. I have done consulting work, but this isn't my area. I have already told him how to find consultants, but recommendations always make me more comfortable.
   Thanks again.
ark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ron Scott

You might want to contact the Association of Consulting Foresters of America, Inc.at www.acf-foresters.org. There are a number of consulting foresters listed for PA. 
~Ron

ellmoe

Thank You Sponsors!