iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things to do in Northern New Hampshire

Started by WhiteLightning, April 10, 2012, 10:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteLightning

I am going to be spending my summer way up in Colebrook as a forestry intern and I'm looking for things to do or see on the weekends when I'm not working. I have never been to the area but I'll be there for about 15 weeks. From what I have seen online it looks like beautiful country and I hope to travel around to Vermont and Maine a little bit as well.

If anyone's from around the area or has ever visited I'd love to hear about the must see places or experiences.

Thanks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have never been this far north....but I'll bet money you'll have a ball. They say Maine has some GREAT seafood. But I hear WV has WhiteLightning!

Have a good time and be safe!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sprucebunny

Drive up the Mt. Washington auto road !

Just driving around in any direction from Colebrook is very scenic.
I can't think of any particular activity or place right nearby to Colebrook but even after living up near there most of my life, I still enjoy driving around and seeing the different vistas in different lights.

Towards the end of summer there are lots of local and county fairs: one in Lancaster.
If you have a passport, there are many Christmas tree farms right over the border in Quebec which I think are pretty country, too.
I'll try to think of other things and add them.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Get out in the woods and learn the plants  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Piston

Do you have a motorcycle that you just happen to be bringing with you?  ;)

There are some great roads/rides up there.  Watch for Moose. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

celliott

I'm from Vermont's northeast kingdom, maybe 45 minutes-1 hour from colebrook.  So much to do outdoors.  You have all the White mountains to hike, the Green mountains, if you find a canoe or kayak, plenty of great rivers and lakes\ponds to paddle and fish.  The upper Connecticut river has some good whitewater runs, as well as the Androscoggin river.  I have hiked alot of the old firetowers on mountains in the area.  The one closest to you would be Mount Monadnock in Vermont-it offers spectacular views of the Connecticut river valley.  Lot's of small brooks and ponds with great fishing if you look around.  Plenty of hidden gems.  If you like the outdoors, you should not be bored.  And you're interning for a forestry company, so that's probably not an issue.

Where are you studying forestry\what's your major and year?
I may intern at Plum Creek in Colebrook eventually.  Got to do a summer forestry session at Paul smith's this summer though.
Welcome to the forum  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

WhiteLightning

Mt. Monadnock will be right outside my back door. I definitely plan on doing some hiking around there and Dixville Notch. I'm studying forestry at WVU, I'm a junior right now so I've got a year left after this semester. Can't wait for the semester to be over and get back into the woods for the summer.

John Mc

Whales Tails water park is probably not too far away, if you are in to that sort of thing.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DaveInVT

Mt. Monadnock is a great place to hike, but it is in the southern part of the state down near Jaffery, a good 3+ hrs from Colebrook. Lots of great hiking/camping and canoe/kayak areas in the Colebrook area. The upper CT river is in my opinion one of the most under uitilized fisheries in New England.
As stated in a prevous post Whales Tale water park is in Lincoln. Just follow Rt 3 south out of Colebrook. Just remember it is a very small water park. While you are there, 15 minutes south is Clarks Trading Post, you can go see the trained bears. I live in VT about an hour south of Colebrook and can assure you that if you are an outdoor person this is a great area. Just remember that at 9 pm the street lights are turned off and the sidewalks are roled up and put away for the night.

celliott

Quote from: DaveInVT on April 18, 2012, 04:32:32 PM
Mt. Monadnock is a great place to hike, but it is in the southern part of the state down near Jaffery, a good 3+ hrs from Colebrook.

2 Monadnock mountains Dave, one in Lemington VT and one on Jaffrey NH.  Lemington is quite a bit closer to Colebrook.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

whiskers

Bath Maine has a Maritime Museum that includes Percy and Small Shipyard on the Kennebeck River next to Bath Iron Works just off US #1. We spent a day there and didn't see everything. If you get there have a good camera battery, the light in some of the areas leaves some to be desired, otherwise it's impressive.
Mount Washington has a cog railway that's something different if you're not in a rush. It's a strange piece of machinery unlike anything I'd seen.
Blueberry sausage was new to us, good stuff.
Pleasant folks in that area, you'll enjoy your stay. Post us some pictures.   
many irons in the fire.........

MrPete

Depending on what you have for wheels is depending on what you can see and do!  Bath Maine, will be a full day trip for you.  White Mountain National Forest has a lot of interesting places to offer.  You are also surround by Mountains and woods, I am assuming you are interested in that.  The motorcycle comment was spot on. There are some beautiful backroads to travel there.  I don't think you will be bored but as DaveinVT says " they role up the sidewalk at 9:00".  Enjoy your summer!

sandhills

whiskers, what is blueberry sausage?  Never heard of it but I love blueberries.

whiskers

It's a pork sausage with blueberrys sold at Hannaford stores. Can't recall the brand, it could be a local seasonal item. Laconia, NH comes to mind, though it could have been in Maine. 
many irons in the fire.........

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!