iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mulberry - male or female?

Started by getoverit, January 06, 2006, 12:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

When I was growing up, one of my friends had 2 large Mulberry trees in their yard. One of them always had berries, and one was always barren. I was told that one was male and one was female.... I dont know enough about them to know if this is even possible, but that is what I was told.

I finally found one and planted it here on the farm about 15 years ago. It now has about 4 main trunks, each one being about 8" in diameter. The problem is that It has no other tree to pollenate with. I have never even seen a bloom on it.

My question is this: is it possible to have a male or female tree? also, how would I go about finding a "female" tree (or the opposite of what I have) that would produce fruit?

is there a trick to getting it to bear fruit without there being another Mulberry tree around?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Max sawdust

We had Mulberry's on the farm where I grew up.  Some produced fruit others did not.  It was always "assumed" some were male others were female.  I am not saying it is why but it was the answer we came up with ::) 
Heck I have no idea, on how to tell the male and female apart.  Root cuttings from a tree that produces fruit is the only thing I can think of to get fruit.

Fruit sure is good, wood is also real pretty and nice to work with.
Also according to a post on here a while back it is good for smoking on the grill.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

You probably mean Osage-Orange right? Yes, they are dioecious (separate male and female plants). Flowers are tiny, greenish, crowded in round clusters less than 1 inch in diameter. Other species have even smaller flowers. You still see either a male or female fower. Some mulbery species are polygamous. Means they can have perfect flowers (male and female parts together on the flower) and they have imperfect flowers with either male or female present. Then there is another possibility where you can have perfect flowers and male and female flowers on one plant (polygamomonoecious), say that word fast. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Max sawdust

Quote from: beenthere on January 06, 2006, 09:46:23 AM
I thought he (Max) meant mulberry.  :)

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mulberry.html

Yes, I think Getoverit means mulberry too.  SD why do think Osage-Orange? 
The mulberry trees I am speaking of are all started from natural seeding, most do not produce fruit, but some do.  Can not tell any difference in growing conditions between the trees.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

wesdor

I have been told for years that the mulberry was a "cousin" to the Osage Orange.  Perhaps that is why he referenced Osage.    We had one of the biggest mulberry trees in our front yard - some people thought it might be a record, but we never had it checked.  We were gone on vacation and came home to find it laying over after a wind storm.  It was a male tree, but we have several fruit bearers behind the house.

SwampDonkey

Yes, Osage-Orange is a mulberry and flowers are very much alike to the shrub mulberries. Same specs as I stated above. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Max sawdust

Thats what I love about FF.  Learn somtin all the time.   8)
Sure do like the wood it is bright yellow when fresh cut. 
max
True Timbers

bitternut

You definitely need more than one mulberry to get any fruit. I had one in my yard for quite a few years that was loaded with blossoms every year. Never produced a single fruit. Finally cut it down as it outgrew the spot it was planted in and I did not have a place to plant a second mulberry.

I asked the guy that owned the nursery that sold it to me and he said that you won't get any fruit unless you have at least two trees. I told him, "thanks for telling me that years ago when you sold me only one tree". I don't buy anything from that nursery anymore.

I now have two trees planted at my woods and they both blossom every spring. They are small yet and the birds get the fruit before they fully ripen. Maybe once they become larger trees they will leave some of the fruit for me. When I was a kid the farm next to us had several of them planted among his sweet cherry orchard. The idea was that the birds would go for the mulberries and leave the cherries alone. It did not work very well. I spent a lot of time in the mulberry and cherry trees with the birds.

SwampDonkey

bitternut, don't the fruit kinda remind you of black berries?

getoverit

ABSOLUTELY! They look like HUGE blackberries, only they grow on a tree. I have learned a great deal though. I didnt know THAT was osage orange either. They make the best mulberry pie you ever tasted, just cook it like you would make a blackberry cobbler or blackberry pie. I hear (ahem) that the mulberry wine is pretty tasty too  :D

If I was to buy another tree to cross-pollenate the tree I have, How do I tell if it is a male or a female though? Is there a way?

SwampDonkey

Genetic testing ? (and I don't think it's easy) Or good luck. ;) We are stepping deep into microbiology/biochemistry here, where I have little knowledge.  That was an option in the forestry program and I already had enough studies to handle as it was. In fact the forestry program had as many credit hours as the engineering program as it was.  ::)

Here is a paper on sex determination of figs, which are part of the mulberry family. Good stuff to fall to sleep with. ;)

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/pljun99b.htm

beenthere

Quote from: getoverit on January 06, 2006, 06:19:26 PM
......... I have learned a great deal though. I didnt know THAT was osage orange either. ............
Mulberry and Osage orange are not the same species. They are more like 'cousins'.  Seems there might be some confusion here.  SD was saying, I believe, that the need for a second tree to 'cooperate' with bearing fruit was similar between the two.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on January 06, 2006, 07:22:28 PM
Mulberry and Osage orange are not the same species. They are more like 'cousins'.  Seems there might be some confusion here.  SD was saying, I believe, that the need for a second tree to 'cooperate' with bearing fruit was similar between the two.  :)

Family Moraceae: Mulberry Family
       mulberry Morus species
       Osage-Orange Maclura species
       Fig Ficus species

sorry for the confusion  ;)

Ron Wenrich

Yes, you need two trees, but one has to be male and one has to be female.   ;)

I've had several volunteers at my place.  Many have been male, but I have had a few females.  I have noted that I have a few berries come out on a limb or two on one of my male trees.  Not enough for a pie, but just enough to say that it happens.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Must be one of the polygamous plants, like I mentioned above.  8)

bitternut

Yep, they remind one of blackberries but without the thorns. Just pop them in your mouth and bite off the stem. Used to sit in the tree for hours eating them.

ohsoloco

The mulberry trees at my parents' house are loaded with berries every year.  Made some wine with them one year, but never did much else with them other than pop them in my mouth right off the tree  :) 

These trees are more like clusters of trees growing together...probably at least five or six "trunks" about six inches in diameter all growing together (there are two groups of these trees).  Do any of the mulberries have different shaped leaves  ???  I know that there are some branches in the one cluster that have leaves that look like mittens (like on a sassafrass tree).  Can't remember if there were any leaves with the three lobes or not....I'll have to check it out this spring to see if there is a sassafrass tree growing in there  :P  I know there's a sassafrass tree growing about 100 feet from the mulberries.  It was actually growing up through a honeysuckle bush.  Years ago I cut out the bush, dug up, and chopped out the roots from that bush for some reason  ::)  The tree is doing fine  :)

SwampDonkey

leaves on mulberry are extremely variable, even on the same bush.

getoverit

This tree has a major stump, then has about 5 sprouts growing out of it about equal size. The leaves are rather large ones, but I'll have to wait till spring to get any pictures of them. In the mean time, I'm looking for a suitable mate for it. I just dont want to get another tree with the same gender as this one (if that is possible). Guess I'll have to get several of them and hope that at least one in the bunch is different.  Still wish It was as easy as lifting it's tail and taking a look to see what gender it was  :D :D

Pullinchips

yes the trees are male and female, you have a male if there is no fruit.

-nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Tom

Mulberry is easy to root.

Find a tree that is bearing fruit and take a cutting.  Root the cutting and you will have a tree just like the one that had the berries on it.  :)

ohsoloco

Tom, what's the best way to get the cutting to root?  Put it in some potting soil, for example?  There's a mulberry tree (bush) at my house, but I didn't notice any berries on it last summer.  That would be nice if I could get a tree started from one at my parent's house  :) 

Wait a minute, I remember what my parent's outdoor furniture looks like when the mulberries are ripe...those birds really like those things  :D

Tom

In the Early spring take a cutting of a hardened (year-0ld) limb, about the size of your little finger and 6-10 inches long, that includes a leaf and several buds.  (Leaf optional)

dampen the butt end a little and dust the bottom inch with a rooting hormone.  Rootone

Put this dusted end into a pot of sandy soil that has been thouroughly wettened.

Place the pot under the edge of the house, under a tree or shrubbery where the sun can't cook it.

Sometimes I cover it with a gallon milk jug to make a little greenhouse.  It'll stay wet.

Keep the soil moist.

In about 2 weeks you will be getting roots.  In about 6 weeks, you can probably put it into the ground.
Some cuttings take 12 or more weeks to root.

When you do this, make up 15 or 20.  One is certainly apt to root.

IL Bull

I have a mulberry that makes the regular berry but later it makes a berry that is much larger and is white.  It looks kind of like a mulberry but is much larger and hard.  I have yet to eat one.  It looks to ugly to try.  They appear right after the regular fruit,  sometimes both appear at the same time.  Anyone know what these are? :P ???
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!