iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The fruits of my labor

Started by pnyberg, September 01, 2011, 10:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

Back in early July, I got a call from some old geezer who said he had a big pile of logs for me to mill.  He was hard to have a conversation with because he was about a deaf as a post, but eventually I agreed to bring my mill to him.  I followed my GPS to the address provided expecting to find a run down farm.  Instead, I found an estate.

I was right about the geezer part, the owner is reported to be 96 years old.  He is one of the founders of a chain of restaurants that's pretty well known in the northeast.  There was one in my home town that I went to many times for a sandwich or an ice cream cone about 40 years ago.

The man owns a lot of property, most of it wooded (though he's got a golf course or two worth of lawn as well).  Apparently he likes to have trees from his property felled and milled, and then have things built from the lumber.  He's got a small village of buildings whose purpose seems mostly ornamental.

So, anyway, my mill and I were led to a site with a pile of logs nearby.  There was a crew of about 4 guys, and a tractor or two, and an industrial strength wood chipper.  I spent about 3 and a half days milling logs into boards and beams of various dimensions.  It was all good.  I rarely had to leave my position at the command/control station.

A couple a weeks ago, the gentleman called again.  He was no easier to talk to, but he wanted me to come back and mill some more logs.  Only two days this time, and it was largely a repeat of the previous visit, except for one part. 

When we broke for lunch on the first day, the owner told me to get into his golf cart to see what he had done with the lumber I had cut for him on my last visit.  After a short ride, we arrived at this:

Isn't that the cutest thing?  It's about 8' wide and 12' long I'd guess.  The owner told me that every bit of wood in it came from lumber I milled except for the wood shingles on the roof.  There is a real brook with running water under it.

I'm almost as pleased as I'd be if I had built the thing myself.

--Peter
No longer milling

WDH

Wow, your own covered bridge!  Enter it into the Woodmizer Best contest.  That is way cool.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customdave

Hey that is neat ! If I had a  golf cart I'd want a covered bridge too... ;)
Love the smell of sawdust

redbeard

Nice story with a great ending good job!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Coon

WOW, this is the kinds of stories I like to hear.  I bet you now have a soft spot in your heart for the old man, I would.  Looks like he is an experienced builder in more ways than one.  This just made my bum day end with a   ;D .  Thank you for showing us.  It would be great if you could get us a picture of you and your customer standing in the entrance to the covered bridge.   ;D 

BTW This would be a perfect story for the Woodmizer Way and/or Woodmizer Best.  ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Chuck White

Nice looking covered bridge, common in your area too.

It's good to see things built from lumber you saw.

Thanks for the post, it's a good read!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MReinemann

Looks good.  What chain of restaurants does he own, just curious being from the northeast.

customsawyer

I is always a pleasure to have a customer that really appreciates the fruits of your labor.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bill Gaiche

Isnt it great a man of his age still has a great vision of things that can be made out of wood. Makes me smile inside and out that he is making his place special to him. Would be great if you could get some photos of you and him together at the bridge. I bet you are pround that you got this sawing job? bg

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

mometal77

Its like working for a corporation and you machine and weld parts you do not get to see the finished product normally over all the parts come from all over.  Great story.

One thing I dont see... "made in america" and assembled in america....
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Magicman

That is a nice story Peter.  Yes, it is very nice to see the fruits of your labors.  I guess that I should be taking some pictures of some of mine that I see.  Like the little cabin in the background.

I was taking the pictures of the donkeys.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!