iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sponsors - please toot your horns for us

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 05, 2018, 07:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Many people apparently come here to the FF looking for a source to have their logs sawed into lumber. We know the best source is for them to use the reference under the FF Extras button to find a local sawyer and help support the forum. If there is not a Forum member listed close by I know Woodmizer has their Pro-Sawyer network which refers customers to WM owners who do such sawing.

How about the rest of you sponsors? Do you have a similar referral service? If you do please chime in and let us know where it is and how we send people to it. We want your customers to benefit from buying and supporting your equipment too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Oh BTW - if any of you members out there are a member of such a network like WM Pro Sawyer for another sponsor please chime in about what it is and how to find it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Hey guys,

Surely somebody has some input here.
Howard Green

DPatton

WV Sawmiller,

This is off base of what your looking for, but I did a search for custom sawmilling in my area using the FF Extras button. Sadly I didn't find anything. How do I get my own portable sawmill service registered so a search can find me? Maybe this is a question for Jeff, but if you know how I can get my business on there please let me know.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Ga Mtn Man

Scroll down to the bottom of the Finda-Data-Base search form.  There's a link there to register your services.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

PAmizerman

I am on woodmizers pro Sawyer network.
If you go to their website and click on the find a Sawyer link you pick a state and then can scroll through all the sawyers
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

WV Sawmiller

Well, based on the lack of any response from any of the other sponsor vendors or any of the mill owners with other brands, I guess it is safe to assume nobody has a sawing service referral network except here on the Forestry Forum and WoodMizer with their Pro-Sawyer network. I encourage each of you interested in sawing for the public who meet the requirement qualifications to sign up in one or both places.

To the FF members when someone asks you who they can find to saw their logs into lumber you can confidently point them to these two sources.

I also want to thank Jeff and the fine folks at WM for taking the extra time and effort to set up and maintain their networks to benefit their members and customers. 

I encourage the remaining sponsors, if you find it economically feasible and within your time and equipment constraints, to consider setting up such a referral network for customers who have bought and use their equipment for public sawing purposes. IMHO it is a win-win for the providers and the members.
Howard Green

Tom the Sawyer

Howard, I am listed on at least 5 sites, none of them manufacturers.  There are options out there jf you look.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Great info. I trust that works well for you. 

I was just trying to come up with a fairly standardized plan to help our members, guests and sponsors. I will continue to refer out of area people to these two known and trusted sources. If local I can tell them about a few other millers in the surrounding area I have worked with and trust. Some of them have different equipment and services and can provide services I can't offer but the next time the customer remembers and comes to me - well I hope they do.

I often get calls from people out of state who see my website but don't pay attention to my location and are too far away for me to saw their logs. I have more time on my hand than many of our other members and can take the extra time to shoot the breeze with them that full time sawyers may not be able to do. I got a call from a young man yesterday from Virginia Beach VA who inherited some land near here and was looking for a timber buyer and  I was able to provide some suggestions from my past associations. If his land had been further away I could not have been any help.

As I mentioned I think the referral network is a great idea and I am surprised all the major equipment providers don't have similar offerings as it provides a great service and potentially provides more business to the manufacturer. The more lumber we sawmillers saw, the more parts and equipment we buy from the manufacturers. Besides, while the customer is on the manufacturer's site looking for us he may just look at their equipment and may decide to buy some of his own - pretty clever idea isn't it. :D 

WM obviously recognizes that and Jeff obviously sees it as a very good fit for this forum and we all benefit.
Howard Green

Tom the Sawyer

Howard,

I think that a web presence, particularly your own website, is the best way to get your business name out there.  My website also brings in calls from all over, people who know I am not close enough but frustrated with not being able to find a mill close to them.  I used to start with the FF pin map but that is no longer available.  Unfortunately, when they only give the cities, and you are not familiar with the state, it makes for a tedious search.  That is why I usually have links to the major search groups, and to several states' forestry listings.  

If you would like to expand your presence, West Virginia publishes a Forest Products Industry directory (last published in 2015), in addition to having a searchable, on-line database for forest product categories, including sawmills.  I did a search and didn't find any sawmills in Summers County.  If you would like to be listed there, contact Greg.W.Cook@wv.gov 

If anyone else is interested, most state forestry departments have similar resources, either as a downloadable .pdf file, or a searchable database.  Kansas has a .pdf directory (updated a couple of times per year) and an on-line map with icons for timber buyers and sawmills, just click to get their information. 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

Tom.

Thanks for the info. I'll contact the address you provided below and get my business listed there too.

I'm not hugely trying to increase my sales and workload but I know many out there are. My work is supplemental retirement income and something to help occupy my spare time between hunting, fishing and spoiling the grandkids. I like meeting people and the kind of folks I meet and work with through my portable milling are real nice folks.

Most of my business comes from a local trader paper I advertise in that meshes well with the area I like to work. I also put up flyers locally in country stores, feed stores, etc. that targets the clients I most like to deal with. I'll hit a couple of big flea markets a few times every summer and meet people and give out business cards which pays off throughout the year as many people take months before they get their logs cut and staged. 
Howard Green

Magicman

A very good way to get "up and personal" with Jeff, several of the FF Sponsors, and many FF members is to attend the annual Pig Roast that Jeff & Tammy host each year.  Mark your calendar for August 3rd next year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!