iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

enterprise sawmill restoration

Started by dbutch04, August 25, 2017, 11:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbutch04

hello all,
i am new to these forums... my grandfather  had and operated an enterprise sawmill in the 40's thru the  60's i think ..not sure on the time frame for sure  as i was not alive yet lol  anyways we still have the mill in it's origional building..although the building is collapsing, i would like to begin the restoration process, any suggestions on where to start ? anyone know how i determine  what model it is?
Help i'm lost

Solomon

I would start by building a new sawing shed , that way you will have a clean new place to set up your mill from scratch.   If you are going to do a complete restoration.   Then demolish the old building when you're finished or when it's feasable.  As far as restoring the mill itself , you should consult with others on this site who are far more knoledgable than myself when it comes to your  mill.
You will find a wealth of knowledge and experience here and good folks who are glad to guide you along the path.   You're embarking on a journy that will be both challanging and rewarding.   A good machine shop will also be helpful.
And above all,  don't allow yourself to get discouraged,  you will be very happy when the first board rolls off. 8)
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Savannahdan

I'll echo what Solomon says.  Either repair the current building or build a new one and move the mill.  Add information to your profile so folks have an idea of where you're and any other information you want to share.  You may be near someone on the forum who is familiar with all of this.  Good luck and welcome.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

TKehl

Welcome! 

I'd start with penetrating oil on every bolt and mechanism.  Also pictures would help us help you better.   

Having been under cover, you are ahead of most.  Keep it covered! 

Check out the engine (if there is one).  If gas, pull spark plugs and put some diesel on top of the cylinders to get some lube on the rings before trying to turn it.

Also, I've been surprised how little it takes to repair dilapidated sheds.  Worth a look to see about repair instead of demolish.  Especially with the history involved.

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

dbutch04

Thanks for all the input......the shed is in bad shape, the walls  look like they are salvagable  but the roof has completely  caved in .......as far as a power unit  it had a caterpillar like a 312..? diesel it was sold to another mill and i know where that is and have actually been there to see my grandpas  cat run it is running  about 3 days a week  on another mill.

our mill was  quite large  for the time i believe .......i know it has a 4 or 5 ft blade (i have spun the  blade  by hand ...so it is free :) )  i think there is an edger,possibly a planer, saw dust  was collected by vacuum  ??? ....not  real sure ....i never seen it  all run  and was too young to really understand and value  what i was looking at when i was  using the  whole building as a fort or playing hide and seek in there  :'(

Help i'm lost

Don P

it was sited where it is for a reason. figure that out before moving it if moving is a possibility. if the walls are good you're walls ahead where it is.

dbutch04

It was sited where it is  because it is on our farm along a road frontage with  a driveway at each end of the  mill area  ...in pictures i have seen of the farm in the  mid 50's it was  in a good clear area  , ease of deliveries/pick ups, space at the north end was where the  buzz saw was and the  saw dust pile .
Rumor has it  most all  houses and barns built  during the  late 40's to early 60's  was built off our mill
Help i'm lost

fishfighter

Quote from: dbutch04 on September 22, 2017, 11:30:00 PM
Thanks for all the input......the shed is in bad shape, the walls  look like they are salvagable  but the roof has completely  caved in .......as far as a power unit  it had a caterpillar like a 312..? diesel it was sold to another mill and i know where that is and have actually been there to see my grandpas  cat run it is running  about 3 days a week  on another mill.

our mill was  quite large  for the time i believe .......i know it has a 4 or 5 ft blade (i have spun the  blade  by hand ...so it is free :) )  i think there is an edger,possibly a planer, saw dust  was collected by vacuum  ??? ....not  real sure ....i never seen it  all run  and was too young to really understand and value  what i was looking at when i was  using the  whole building as a fort or playing hide and seek in there  :'(

Oh the years I played in my Granddads Cotton Gin. ;D He had a sawmill in it too which killed him. A tooth came off the blade and hit him in the head per what my Mom told me. The old gin was powered by and big Fairbank two cylinder diesel engine. The engine is still in place to this day.

dbutch04

Ok so i have an update......i was able to climb into the mess that is the sawmill  building  mostly fallen down. the carriage track is steel on top of  a steel i-beam, the carriage is all there however the  wood  beams are  pretty well rotted, the  saw it's self is  all there  in good shape, still turns freely, couldn't get to the edger or the blower yet.
did find a name plate on the saw mount? ( not sure of terminology) it is an enterprise  however  the serial number and size  blocks were never  stamped  also found a bonus in there ... a wizard silo filler i never knew  was there.  the  swinging buzz saw  is all there  but the  wood frame is  rotted ......thinking the  buzz saw would be a good jumping off point.
Help i'm lost

Thank You Sponsors!