iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with wood ID

Started by Mabuti, February 08, 2019, 02:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabuti

Prior to winter I received some small logs that were cut by the Forrest service to clear a road during a fire here in Utah. I recently got around to cutting one of the larger ones up to turn some bowls with. I am baffled by what kind of wood it is. I was hoping that I would be able to get some help to identify it. 

WDH

The highly visible (to the naked eye) medullary rays indicate that it is an oak, most likely a species of white oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mabuti

Quote from: WDH on February 08, 2019, 08:45:00 AM
The highly visible (to the naked eye) medullary rays indicate that it is an oak, most likely a species of white oak.
Thank you. I have never turned Oak before, being so new to turning. It is just so prominent in the bowl.

Southside

Quote from: WDH on February 08, 2019, 08:45:00 AMThe highly visible (to the naked eye) medullary rays

You sure those aren't chainsaw marks? :D  In all seriousness nice bowl there Mabuti.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

One man's chainsaw marks are another man's medullary rays :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

low_48

No replies from this camp, I learned my lesson. I would make a suggestion on the turning though. I'd suggest you stay a little further away from the pith. You are opening yourself up for some drying cracks getting that close. 

Thank You Sponsors!