iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickled Walnuts

Started by John.Howard, July 13, 2014, 08:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John.Howard

Anyone else making pickled walnuts at the moment? Stick a pin in the drupe to make sure the shell hasn't formed yet (if it has you're too late), stab them with a fork, soak them in brine (salt water) for a couple of weeks, air dry them for a few days until they're black, simmer them in a pickle (vinegar, sugar, spices) then Jar them. Simple and delicious. Had mine soaking a week now.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is the first time I've ever heard of this John.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Den Socling

Yes I have never heard of such a thing. Do they taste like walnuts?

thecfarm

I think I remember something about Pickled Peaches too??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Den Socling

PS This will probably get moved to the Food Board. Someplace else to spend you precious time, John.

drobertson

I have walnuts now forming, I think I will give this a go,  beats running over them with the mower, ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on July 13, 2014, 09:05:57 PM
I think I remember something about Pickled Peaches too??

;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Which walnut is this one being pickled?

Doesn't appear to be our Black Walnut, but expect in the UK there is maybe a different variety.

Maybe the English walnut, as that would make sense and the leaves appear to be similar.

On further searching, there is more info that pickling black walnuts is possible as well (before the shell forms in the husk).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_walnuts
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John.Howard

Yes, beenthere, that is English walnut. Lots around here. The trees in the background of the last picture are old apple trees in the orchard where I live (Somerset is cider country). They taste like walnuts in as much as pickled eggs taste of eggs, or pickled onions taste of onions. Actually, the main flavour (is pickle) is that smell given off by the growing fruit. It's quite a unique taste, as you are eating the husk that would otherwise fall off, as well as the immature nut. Mmm.

Thank You Sponsors!