iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer eg 200

Started by Busysawyer, June 25, 2018, 06:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Quote from: Busybeaver on June 29, 2018, 06:33:39 PM
Percy , thank you for posting the picture and video . That thing looks like it eats pretty fast.  What motor is on it?
This one is a 28 hp Subaru with EFI. Its the best one so far. It came with a 25 hp Kohler, carberated version. Lasted forever with only one head gasket job and bent pushrod from over reving, my bad, I would run over and push on the governor lever whenever I was in a tough cut. Then a used honda 24 hp. Was wimpy but ran great for a long time. I got the Subaru at Princess Auto(Canadas Harbour Freight) for about half the price of a 28hp Kohler. Its the most powerful engine I had on this edger...Next motor  will be the 38 HP EFI Kohler. I hate edger jamups.....seriously hampers production.... :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

4x4American

Hey glad to hear you're getting an edger, especially awesome that it has a diesel.  What is it a Yanmar?  how many ponies?  I have to admit I talk on the phone quite a bit while I'm sawing, it's nice having hands free telecommunication.. I just have to talk really loud, making me look silly to whoevers watching lol
Boy, back in my day..

PAmizerman

Busybeaver what size blades are in the edger you will be getting? I was on WM website last night and I believe it said they are using 10" blades now. If that is the case you may not have enough blade to modify it to cut thicker if you were thinking of doing that down the road.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Dave Shepard

It does say 10", but that would surprise me. You could probably put 14" in, but they are a chunk of change.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 29, 2018, 09:12:18 PM
It does say 10", but that would surprise me. You could probably put 14" in, but they are a chunk of change.
Aint that the truth.  I think mine, carbide, are $150/ea. 
Boy, back in my day..

Busysawyer

Percy, I've had a couple Subaru motors over the years and also have been happy with them. 4x4 I'm not even sure what diesel they are using.  I've talked to so many company's  lately I can't remember.  I think it's a kohler 21 horse. Pa mizerman, Dave  I think they are coming with 10in blades now, if you look on the wm website it says 10" in the description but list 14" in the specs. I think to get a thicker cut I'll have to open the throat up wider and buy a set of 14" blades. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Busysawyer

Well the edger is more than halfway back here from Pennsylvania.  Dad sent a few pics and confirmed that it is a 24 hp yanmar diesel. Happy about that , I much prefer the yanmar to the kohler. I see a lot of yanmar diesels around the marina and I've never heard an owner say a bad thing about them. Here she is in stunning woodmizer orange.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Very nice,  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) smiley_beertoast
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Talk about colors matching, I have a orange sawmill with a green and grey offbearing conveyor feeding a green green (Tom) chain, feeding a red edger, and a blue resaw.  And I wear a white shirt that has no collar
Boy, back in my day..

Busysawyer

Doug and Peter yes very Purdy and very nice. As far as colors matching I'd take whatever tool is available and suited to the task at hand. As far as shirts, I rarely wear one around in the summer unless I leave the house or have a guest over. My dad and uncle had a safe trip and I got her home and in the barn. First impressions,  this thing is built like a tank and very heavy for its size.  I didn't have any flitches handy but I did have some 4/4 hard maple boards that I had cut and stickered a few weeks ago to take a few test passes with. This machine is loud and angry and fast. So far I'm pretty impressed. It was a real pain getting the outfeed roller table off the top of the machine by myself due to the size and weight but wouldn't be too bad with help. The only thing I don't like so far is the outrigger jacks. I don't plan on going portable with this machine but if I was first thing I'd do is try to get some of those nice fine adjust rigs like the 70 comes with. I've liked most jobs I've had and always like getting new tools but this milling bug has got me more excited about doing hard work than anything I've experienced before.  Here she is in all her bright orange glory ready to eat wood for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

Busysawyer

Found another pleasant surprise regarding the new edger today. The boy wanted to see what was hiding under her hood so I told him to figure how to open it up. He is a smart kid and I've been trying to teach him how to turn wrenches for a couple years now.  He looked at the machine for about 15 seconds and said looks like i just gotta take these couple bolts out hand me the 1/2 inch. It's not complicated but for a ten year old I was impressed. I had to break one of the 4 bolts loose for him. So to my amazement,  we opened the blade housing cover and sure enough 14 inch blades.  This really surprised me because two different woodmizer sales people told me it has 10 inch blades. The website contradicts itself and says 10 inch on one page and lists 14in in the specs.  I pointed this out to the sales people and was told the 14inch was a misprint and was assured it would come with 10 inch. I looked over the machine and for the life if me can't figure out why woodmizer wouldn't just open up the housing opening to increase capacity.  The only thing I can think of is maybe they feel that running thick material might be too hard on the engine or machine itself. At any rate modification looks very simple and if the need arises I'll be opening her up like other members have.  

Also the website specs a 21 hp diesel that I was told I was getting not the 24hp i received so really a double bonus.  Bigger blades and bigger better motor than what I was quoted. Can't beat that

Bruno of NH

How easy will it be to change the blades?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Busysawyer

Bruno, it looks easy to change blades as far as a person with a little mechanical ability would have no problems.  It's not a split stobe blade so they will have to come off the shaft and be realigned. It's one of those technically simple things to do but a little time consuming.  When the time comes I'll give my ten year old a quick rundown and hand him the tools to get her done.

samandothers

Wait til Marty reads this and finds out where the 14" 24hp machine is that a customer is coming to pick up! :o
;D

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Busybeaver on June 30, 2018, 03:51:01 PM
Well the edger is more than halfway back here from Pennsylvania.  Dad sent a few pics and confirmed that it is a 24 hp yanmar diesel. Happy about that , I much prefer the yanmar to the kohler. I see a lot of yanmar diesels around the marina and I've never heard an owner say a bad thing about them. Here she is in stunning woodmizer orange.

Can't beat brand new orange paint when you're buy wood sawing equipment. She should serve you well for many years! I'm envious! ;D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Busysawyer

Sam , I'm sure this is the edger we were supposed to get. I just think the sales people are getting their info on some of the equipment wrong.  Maybe a change in production and they weren't aware of it yet. They picked the machine up from Marty himself. They forgot the hitch for the truck and Marty let them borrow his. Said he seemed to be a really nice guy and both if them had nothing but good things to say about their experience there. My uncle said he was shipping Marty's hitch back to him tommorow. I'm gonna have to give him a call and remind him just in case.
Lawg dawg I'm sure this edger will last a long time and with the yanmar diesel it should be quite a few years before it needs a motor replacement. If you want to talk about envy, how about those barn pics you put up in the watcha sawing thread. I'd love something like that, first thing I thought was wow that's nice my township probably wouldn't even let me build something like that.

Busysawyer

Any of you guys modify your woodmizer edgers for dust collection? I have a woodmaster 5 horse blower hooked up to my mill right now and would like to set it up for collection on the edger as well.

Percy

Quote from: Busybeaver on July 07, 2018, 06:51:00 PM
Any of you guys modify your woodmizer edgers for dust collection? I have a woodmaster 5 horse blower hooked up to my mill right now and would like to set it up for collection on the edger as well.
Years ago I had a blower/sucker/whatever hooked up to a box I built under the edger. It worked ....ok... but the time saved shoveling was offset by dealing with plug ups from short chunks of edgings getting jammed in the piping and the blower took a beating from knots and alla the short sticks that went thru. Perhaps you could build a "Grizzly"(simple device under edger with slots/boards that are at about a 45 degree angle. The sticks and chunks slide down the the 45 degree angle but the wind from the blower sucks the smaller sawdust..
That diesel looks awesome.  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

Nice talking with you today, I hope I helped you fix your new edger. Call anytime. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Busysawyer

Percy, thanks for the tips on the dust collection.  I'll try to rig something when I have time. 
Peter, thank you for the advice.  I did as you instructed and pulled a line through the machine from tip to tail.  Blades and rollers were straight and square but fence alignment was about 3/16 out of line. This explains why short boards like 8' and 9' would come out fairly straight while the longer boards were unacceptable.  I aligned the fence to the blades and ran a few long boards through and it is cutting much better so far.  I'll see how it does tommorow when we get back into production. Thank you for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.  Woodmizer trys to be helpful but I've learned right away if I have an issue to call people like you, Gary, Robert and Doug. Guys that run this equipment full time day in and day out to make a living. The knowledge you guys have from years of experience is mind boggling. Marty Parsons and his staff are very knowledgeable as well and have been great to work with. He called me Friday night after hours and had a couple suggestions as well. We are probably going to be buying an incline conveyor and transfer table through them and will definitely use them for all future woodmizer purchases.

Busysawyer

A little update. I had questioned the capacity of this edger before purchasing and couldn't really get a definitive answer. I have ran a few hundred 2  3/8" thick flitches through this thing now with zero issues. I've even ran a handful of 2 1/2" thick through it. You have to give it a little shove to get it to start feeding but no issues.  I have ran walnut, hard maple, hickory, cherry and some oak at 2 3/8 thick. What amazes me is with the diesel on this machine it eats the 2 3/8 at the same speed it eats 4/4 and it doesn't bog the motor in the least. It's like the machine doesnt even know the wood is there. 

Peter Drouin

That my friend is why I got the 26 horse Cat, That thing will EAT.
Good yours is working like you want.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Cypress Man

I run an electric eg200 and can cut 2 1/4".  Just ordered the eg400 that should ship 10/11/18 which is supposed to cut 4 inches thick.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

Thank You Sponsors!