iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old 08s carb

Started by AnthonyBowkett, August 11, 2014, 03:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyBowkett

hi all i have a old stihl 08s what my 2 sons got me for xmass 2013  and having some hassle with it after doing a complete strip down and re build the carburetor is playing up it runs sound and when i put the filter on she will not run and trying my best on sorting it out i hope that some one may help me   

Oliver1655

- Verify there is spark

- High/low needle intital settings: Turn in until they lightly touch the seats then turn them out 1-1/2 turns each.

- Check the choke slide to ensure it is engaging the coke linkage

- Proper starting procedure:
A - Slide the choke to the rear/on position.
B - Set the throttle to half throttle. (Squeeze the trigger & hold it while you push in the locking button on the side. Hold the locking button in while you release the trigger.)
C - If the saw hasn't been run recently, you can take the air filter off & pour a small amount of mixed fuel into the carburetor before trying to start it.

If it start but doesn't keep running or won't start back up, the vent may be plugged.  The vent is a short piece of hose with a set screw pushed 3-4 threads into it.  Do NOT screw it in.  If it is screwed in, the threads will cut into the tubing creating a seal which will prevent fuel from reaching the carburetor due to a vacuum.

These are fairly simple saws.  I have 2 - 08s & 2 - S10 top handles, basically the same saw which I use regularly.

Hope this helps.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

JohnG28

You say when you put the filter on it won't run, but will otherwise? Is the filter new? Have you tried a different filter to make sure this one will allow fuel to flow? Also could be the metering lever set too high. With no resistance with the filter off it can pull fuel but the added resistance of the filter holds it back? Lever should be flush with the body of the carb.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sablatnic

Filter? Are we talking air or fuel filter, and if fuel, is it the filter in the tank or in the carburettor?

Thank You Sponsors!