iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a certain type of map.

Started by woodbowl, February 06, 2008, 11:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

I'm looking for the term used to describe a certain type of map. It could be a map of a county of even the whole state. It is a map that shows elevation, yet it is not a topo map. It is an inhanced version of illustrated topography, 3D if you will. It is not an actual photograph, but has reasonably high resolution. It has super imposed elevation features in the form of shaded areas. Mountains and low lands appear in 3D and define a quick overview of the complete area. I supose that a program may could distort the isobars on a topo map and transform in into something like I'm talking about.

An example of this type of 3D distortion is the thumbnail you see on the side of each page, of the state maps in Rand McNally's road atlas. Another time you see them is on television during the weather report.

I would like to see county maps of my surrounding areas in this fashon. I've googled everything I know of to locate and identify such a map. Does anyone know a source or term used to locate something like this. Thanks wb

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

I have seen soil survey maps that give you somewhat of a 3d appearance.
You can check them out for free online.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

Ahh yes, here's what I'm looking for. Googles DanG's relief map and got this. http://birrell.org/andrew/reliefMaps/
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Gary_C

I think what you want is called a Shaded Relief Map. You might be able to get them at USGS web site although you probably have to order them.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DanG

Woodbowl, there is a map store in Tallahassee that has just about every map you can imagine, and some you never thought of.  It is like a candy store for map nuts.  I LUV :-* that place! ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbowl

What I wanted to do was find those hidden hollows in my neck of the woods and I found a few more tonight. There are mountains here in Florida that not too many people know about.  :)

sprucebunny

Check out Terraserver. http://terraserver-usa.com/

It's a satellite photo thing but you can switch back and forth between a black and white satellite shot and a USGS topo map.

I find it more useful than Google Earth even though it's not in color.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I can download x,y,z points and generate a contour map and overlay a color Orthographic projection over that. I could generate a relief map to I suppose. The base scale is 1:12500 and it doesn't get too fuzzy until you go closer then 1:5000. I can put that compilation onto my hand held GPS. Although, in bright sky it is hard to read unless you use overlays with yellow,orange, light blue for contours, roads, streams etc . The government has the data free of charge to download.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!