iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which log loader to buy

Started by hobby logger, November 07, 2010, 08:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobby logger

Hi guys
I am new to the forum
Any help is greatly appreciated , I am looking at buying a log loader , been considering a metavic , hud-son or Anderson
are there others to consider. I have a 35 hp Hurliman 4 x 4 tractor , great in the brush , I have my own 100 acrea bush lot
looking at bring out some big pine timber as well as firewood
Thanks
kevin

Coon

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a stump and stay a while. 

Out of the choices you gave for the log trailer I would have to personally choose the Anderson because you can add the backhoe bucket and dump box and the post hole auger.  With the combination of those you would be able to do some serious work utilizing one main piece of equipment more of the time without to much hassle.  A fellow that I know has one of these and he has added lights to the boom as well as extra on the cab of the tractor.  He forwards alot of wood at night with it and does his felling, limbing and, bucking during daylight hours  during the winter months.  Don't think he does much logging in the summer months though.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

hobby logger

Thanks Brad for the advice
I have a few pine logs down , they are 30" in diameter and 16ft log
I have checked with a log weight calculator and if it is correct the weight is about 2500 lbs per log
most of the loaders I have researched state about 2200  lb max lifting
Am I calculating this wrong but there does not seem to be any that will work
I may call the manufactures and chat with them
I want to ensure I get something that works for me

Kevin

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Coon

You can still load those bigger logs with that loader.  Simply drag the log to the back of the trailer and pick up the close end to the trailer and set it halfways on.  Next grab the other end and pick it up and slide ahead.  Takes a bit of time to get the technique down but once you do you won't even have to think hard about what to do.  Put a few of the bigger logs on the bottom and then top off the load with smaller diameter logs. 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

bill m

With a Metavic you can add a backhoe bucket, dump box, post hole digger and other attachments also. The Blue Ox is a good trailer/loader but is for on road only. As for lifting capacity my metavic is rated for 2200 lbs. but I have lifted heavier.

This 12 ft. log had 630 bd. ft.

This is part of last winters production and yes my loader will stack logs that high.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

hobby logger

Thanks for all the info
This site is great. I do need a loader for the bush .
Thanks Bill for the picture of the metavic , I am impressed
I do need to lift the logs off the trailer and on to my portable sawmill
I did not want to buy a bigger tractor to do this , because it is then to big for the bush trails
I am trying to combine both , I thought the log loader could bring out the logs as well as load then onto the sawmill.
I am looking at a model 1400 metavic . Bill what is the model of the one in the picture ?
It also seems to have the traction tire system - is it neccessary ?
I do not need a post hole auger or dump box . I have an dump truck and mid sized excavator , so the add on options are not inticing.

Keep the ideas coming
Thanks again
Kevin

bill m

My loader is the 1400xt and the trailer is a 7  1/2 ton model 18rf. I don't think they offer that trailer any more. A full load of 12 ft. logs is about 1000 bd. ft. and the most I have had on was a little over 1300 ft. If your land is flat and dry you might not need the traction drive system but with the size of your tractor you would not be able to pull a full load up hill or stop it going down.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Jasperfield

I like the Metavic, also. If I lived where the land was rolling rather than steep I'd go that route.

ahlkey

I have the Metavic 1150M12 with a 45 HP and it works great.  One thing to check though is the GPM of your tractor as I believe Metavic requires a flow of at least 6 GPM and with your 35 HP tractor you might not have a large enough capacity?  Another thing is that if your trails are tight you might consider the articulated trailer.  I bought mine used and I didn't think I needed it but I wouldn't be without it today. That articulated trailer sure works great around the sawmill especially in tight spaces.  As far as lifting capacity just drag it close to the trailer and then lift.  The stated capacities are at full boom so you can lift a lot more close in.   I also have a older 1400 loader as well.  See photos below.

firefighter

Hi I saw the Anderson at the Ottawa farm show this spring it was a nice set up .

Thank You Sponsors!