iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pretty wood pile

Started by Tam-i-am, February 15, 2009, 04:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

We do wood every weekend (mostly because we don't have the time to do it ahead of time)  and yeap we burn most of our wood green.  Anyway with that said this weekend's woodpile was just too pretty.  Usually, it just looks like a pile of my hard work. 

We took down 2 trees that were dead and really needed to come down. One as you can see was that pretty maple.  The other was a red oak.  Now this tree had something of interest to offer also.  Take a look at these.  Yes, that is a quarter next to them!  Whatever they are I hope I'm not around to see them after metamorphosis.  I'm not much for bugs especially big bugs. 

To be sure I am not around to see the bugs, I took them to the barn.  My chickens really liked them! ;D

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

beenthere

And some people say they are a delicacy... gimme the squeemies. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

probably round head borers, the Proud and intelligent gentlemanses from a nawth'n state version of the Southern pine sawyer.  Look up Roundhead borers and Flathead borers

The adults are fairly large beetles with lo-o-ong Antennae.

Chickens should find them a delicacy.  So should catfish.  ;D

Tam-i-am

Tom

I went to the internet to find a picture of the beetle you mentioned. I think they may actually be the red oak borer except for the fact that I don't live in Arkansas, where they are a really big problem. 

They are one nasty looking beetle with very long antennae.

Tammy

metalspinner

My boys love to dig through the firewood pile for those grubs.  That maple really is beautiful.  I can see several really nice bowl blanks in that pile. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ironwood

Yes Tami, those are borers. I believe they are specie (tree specie) specific. You can hear them crunching their mandables inside the log once the morphose. If you have never seen or hear of them, the first time you hear your woodpile "crunching" it is a bit wierd. For me it was when I was 22 years old and I can remember exactly when and where. Bizzare untilI found out what they where.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Them adult bugs bite to. Hard!  ;D :D

But I don't think these are borers, they look more like June bug grubs and they seem to have been hiding in the wood pile sticks that made contact with the top soil. I see some red soil stuck to the wood stick. All you need is a family of skunks to clean them buggers up. ;D

http://www.arbico-organics.com/june-bugs.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

My old dog would have called those grubs supper, like Pumba  ;)

fishpharmer

Looks like somekind of fine sawdust around them critters.  Somethings been boring.

Hopefully not me ;D ;D 

Might be one of the critters on here http://barkbeetles.org/Buprestidae.cfm

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

That's no buprestidae, buprestidae are flat headed borers, look like a kernel of corn with a tail. Those are also too big and fat for any round headed borer I've seen. I don't see the sawdust. I don't even see a borer hole. Looks like the heart of a piece of oak, where they wouldn't be to begin with. I'm not convinced they are any borer, even that dark abdomen  tells me something else.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

They are Bigushi chickifeedadae,  Swamp.

Chuck White

They used to be required to eat them on "Survivor"!

That guy on "Man vs Wild" eats them all the time!

I'd just say "no thanks"!  I'd rather eat grass and weeds!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tam-i-am

First they all weren't in that spot.  Only the top left one was there the rest I plucked out of other pieces to save for the chickens.  Yes, there was some smushy rotten wood stuff around them.

But after looking at the pics I think SwampDonkey might be right - June Bugs.  The big reddish black part near the anus is unmistakable.

Either way I don't want to hear them munching and they make great bigushi chickifeedadae!

Tammy

ely

we call them grub worms here, and they are good for fish bait as tom mentioned.

okie

Quote from: ely on February 16, 2009, 11:48:50 AM
we call them grub worms here, and they are good for fish bait as tom mentioned.

Yup, definately grub worms, and Yup to the fish bait part. I too reckon they come from June bugs but am not sure. I know when I was a kid dad put a litter box in the barn on account of the cats doing their thing in the hay. I would dump the litter box out behind the barn every week or so and the next year I noticed the chickens scratching in the litter pile one day. The pile was full of grub worms. Do'nt know why they took to the litter but I put a chicken wire fence around it to protect my fishing bait supply.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

sawwood

That pile of fire wood a wood turner would love to have a few sticks for turning. looks like some of it is ambrosia
maple and would make some nice turnings. to bad you are to far away or i would come over to pick out a few.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Frickman

I don't know what they're called, but I find them in rotten and hollow red oak all the time.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Mike_Barcaskey

look up the genus Prionus, a family of long horn beetles
frickman I am sure that's what the grubs are we find in the rooten trunks of trees in western penn
however I don't know where the poster is from
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Frickman

Mike,

She's from Connecticut. She's also the world's best brownie baker.  8)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Mike_Barcaskey

well she's close enough to have the same beetles
as for the brownies, I haven't had the pleasure
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Left Coast Chris

We have the large flat heads out here.  After we had our house built my daughter screamed from her bedroom and there above the bed was a very large long anteni bettle that had just ate his way out of the wall through the sheet rock.  He had huge pinchers in the mouth area and was scarry as heck!   He just laughed at the sheet rock......  :o
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Tam-i-am

Yes, I found them in red oak.  Yes, PA is close to CT

About the Brownies,  they will be at sawlex this year.

ely

hey okie, what do you call june bugs? i aint saying i am correct, but in my experience most folks around here are confused when it comes to june bugs.
most say that the brown bugs that come to the yard lights at night are june bugs. i call them lite bugs because they come to the lite. not to be confused with lightening bugs that shine at nite.
what i call june bugs are the ones that are shiny green and almost look like velvet covering them. we used to catch them and tie a string to their leg and watch them fly around in circles.

SwampDonkey

There are many species of June bugs and May bugs, but those big fat brown cumbersome bugs that come to the window screens in June here are June bugs. They have big fat grubs in the ground that are as plentiful as earthworms and the skunks have a great time feeding on them by tearing up the lawn. Don't confuse those with black ground beetles. This place gets taken over by ground beetles in the summer that do not like lights at all. They are active at night.

okie

ely, I call em both June bugs  :D makes it simple, there's green and brown...the brown ones been in the sun too long :D :D. I too used to tie strings to em and fly em like a kite, it was great fun when I was a kid but we might want to keep that a little quiet lest PETA finds out about it  :D :D. I call them big green headed things with the clear wings that leave a their skeletons stuck all over trees locusts too. I know they aint but thats what I grew up calling them and do'nt know what they really are, some folks I know call em jar flys.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Thank You Sponsors!