iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amen corner

Started by bedway, March 27, 2009, 10:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

Dang,,,,,,,,,,,,,I envey you this time of year.

Jeff

DanG no longer works the Masters.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Nope, that little gig is in the past.  I sorta miss being involved, but I sure don't miss working my butt off from 7am until 9 or 10pm for seven straight days!  I don't miss getting caught out on the course in a thunderstorm, or being caught in an unexpected cold snap without sufficient clothing, either.  I do miss the great people I worked with, who I will not likely see again, and the incomparable priviledge of having the run of that wonderful place for a week every year.  I was honored to work there for fifteen years, but fifteen was quite enough, thanks. ;) :) :)

For those who don't know, I was a "banker" for the food concession at the Masters golf tournament.  I was "nepotized" into that position because my Uncle's Brother-in-law held the contract to provide all of the food and drink for the tournament, a position he inherited from his Father.  My job was to make sure that all of the 100+ cashiers had sufficient change to do their transactions, and also to pick up and deposit all of the proceeds at the end of each day.

If that opportunity still existed, I would still be doing it, but Unk's BIL has retired and left it all for someone else to worry about.  In the past, I've avoided talking about that job too much, for security reasons, but that isn't an issue now.  For anyone who hasn't been there, it is difficult to understand just how big that event is.  The official attendance is not made public, but I would estimate it at over 200,000 patrons per day for seven days.  They do not allow food or drinks to be brought in, so our company was responsible to feed and hydrate all of those people from daylight until dark.  In short, a massive quantity of sandwiches and money changed hands every day, and we were some very busy people!

As I said, I miss it but I don't miss it.  I can look back on many wonderful memories, and that is enough to sustain me just fine. ;) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawmilllawyer

Good on you, Dang. There's got to be many a story to tell from your endeavors at the master's eh?
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!