First picture

Started by Lko67, October 08, 2018, 09:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lko67

Lko67

47sawdust

Congratulations,the hard part is done. ;D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

crowhill

TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Revival Sawmill

Looks good! 😅.
So you are of the 'hump-first' school as opposed to the 'horns-first'?

Magicman

I am neither hump nor horn first.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

There are some that love the live edge oval slabs that come off the hump of a crooked log.  I kinda like them myself.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Lko67

Was making framing lumber and had grub holes pretty deep. I'm still learning will be sawing my first hard wood tomorrow

Magicman

With framing lumber your final saw through needs to be from either the hump or horn face.  That way your lumber will tend to bow rather than crook.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gagnon Mountain

Lk067, nice mill!  I just set mine up this past weekend.

When building it, I found that the directions called for using the supplied 6 and a half inch bolts to mount the axle and forward frame stiffeners.  They were way too long.  I wound up going to Lowes and buying 4 and a half bolts.  Did you have this issue as well?

Tony

Lko67

Thanks for the advice mm . Gagnon my bolts are 6 inch with only 1/8 to 1/4 threads past nut when tight bought mine already assembled

OffGrid973

This is not another crook thread I hope. Congrats on the first pic, now "Center That Pith" and get after it :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Carpenter

I like to saw the hump off first.  It gives me a little leeway.  I'm mostly sawing boxed heart timbers and get a little side lumber during the process.  Once I saw the hump off I can really see where I stand, and where the log stands, I can see if it is even possible to make a boxed heart timber out of the log at that point.  I look at the hump as a crown, I know it will crown that way eventually during the drying process.  So, if I am making 6x8s for example, I will make the 8" cut with the hump up, then cut the sides down to 6.  
     I know this really isn't a hump up, horns up thread, but this seems to have come up.  I don't know if I'm doing it right by the way, it's just the way that I've been doing it and approaching the situation.  

Magicman

Notice in my Reply #9, I said:

Quote from: Magicman on October 08, 2018, 09:02:50 PMWith framing lumber your final saw through needs to be from either the hump or horn face.
I was addressing only one instance.  Your cut list will always determine your opening face and sawing pattern.

Thank You Sponsors!