iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Figured Aspen.

Started by Jeff, April 11, 2003, 12:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmcgover

2019 figured aspen breeding update:
In 2015 I found a highly figured male bigtooth aspen close to my home and mated it to to 3 other female aspens.  The P. alba x bigtooth (P. grandidentata) cross produced a number of vigorous seedlings with diverse traits that included high figure and clones with excellent rooting ability from dormant stem cuttings.  

Here is a photo of (Admin edit:  insert pics in gallery) showing high figure in 2 clones with one year stem wood.  Looking at clone 25r10 you can see a unique diagonal "signature" pattern that I have not seen before.  The other clone 25r23 has high figure with more or less random blocky wavy grain. It will be interesting to see the figured wood pattern in 5+ years.  We think it will be possible to grow a forest of high figured aspen trees in 20-25 years with known figured patterns.  For more details see:  (Admin Edit:  photo links offsite not allowed)

This forum was one of the first places I visited looking for information on finding figured aspen.  I am so grateful for your help and hope to see you in the woods!

wisconsitom

....and, good sir, I look forward to receiving cuttings from you shortly.

We're going to have to melt off snow again first before planting can commence!

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Thank You Sponsors!