iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD hydraulic fluid

Started by Brian w, January 30, 2019, 01:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian w

I am sitting home today to cold to get the diesel engines started. I am working on my J D 640C power shift transmission I have cleaned the lift screen in the transmission but I had a old timer tell me that I needed to buy John deer hydraulic fluid or it won't work right. The old guy also has been off the job for 15 years so I was wondering if this is something that isn't relevant anymore or if it's true.

Oliver05262

Best to use John Deere's spec's to choose your oil. For as often as you change it and for what repairs cost, I don't think it pays to skimp here, but others have done it and had no ill effects. Your mileage may vary, but I do know that  an oil that only meets JD303 specs is not good enough anymore. The loads and lubrication requirements have become greater over time. At a minimum, use the premium tractor/hydraulic oil; the label should say that it meets JD HyGard requirements. Most don't or won't make that claim. It is a pretty high standard to meet.
Filters are  another area that you need to think about. I don't know about the 640C, but the older 640 models use the standard AR75603 element as a transmission filter,  and also in the over/under hydraulic filter in front of the radiator. The 640D uses a finer filter RE11889 in these locations. Same dimensions, but it filters to a finer micron. The AG side uses this one as a cleanup filter after a hydraulic or transmission failure. Remember, all the oil flows through all of these filters at one time or other, so you should change them all at the same time. I see that you pulled and cleaned the suction screen while you have the transmission drained. * 1 attaboy attached  :)
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Brian w

That's another thing I have been wondering about do I need to drain the differentials and winch in order to actually get the old fluid out or does it just go into them when it's running cause when I drained the transmission I got about six gallon out and it seems like it should have more than that in it

Oliver05262

You don't need to drain the axles unless you feel you need to because of hours on the oil in them or it's unknown, or you feel you have contamination in the axle. I don't think oil returns from the axles to the transmission, but I know that on the 640D, even after you fill the axle to the fill plug level, there will be some more transferred into them from the diff lock & brake leakage. The operator's manual tells you to check the tranny oil level regularly until it steadies out. 
  As far on the winch on your 440, I can't answer that; you'll have to look in the operator's manual. On the 640D, the op. manual says the tranny holds 19 quarts, and if you drain the winch it takes I think 56? quarts total. You fill the transmission, but not overfull, and keep adding until the level stabilizes, then check again after operating for several hours. There was something in the book that I can't remember about it would fill faster if you were winching in?? Whaddayougonnado? keep pulling it out and winching it in? I haven't crossed that bridge yet.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!