iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guy swears it's hickory?

Started by ReggieT, February 27, 2019, 09:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Picked up this load late this evening and I admit two things, "I;m rusty on my wood ID & I'm wayyyyy outta shape.
Anyhow, it was free & so was the lecture on the wood type...this guys swears its rare strain of hickory ::).
I think perhaps white oak.
I didn't see any nuts lying about, the small twigs/limbs were limber, but hard to snap, and it weighed a ton.
Yet, my MS 261c chewed through it a little quicker than most hickory I've encountered. 
Maybe I'm underestimating my saw with square chisel & a 16 in bar!!  ;D smiley_chop
Here are the best pics I could muster.
What are you guys thoughts?

ReggieT

Quote from: ReggieT on February 27, 2019, 09:45:48 PM
Picked up this load late this evening and I admit two things, "I;m rusty on my wood ID & I'm wayyyyy outta shape.
Anyhow, it was free & so was the lecture on the wood type...this guys swears its rare strain of hickory ::).
I think perhaps white oak.
I didn't see any nuts lying about, the small twigs/limbs were limber, but hard to snap, and it weighed a ton.
Yet, my MS 261c chewed through it a little quicker than most hickory I've encountered.
Maybe I'm underestimating my saw with square chisel & a 16 in bar!!  ;D smiley_chop
Here are the best pics I could muster.
What are you guys thoughts?

There's a New Possibility: "White Ash!" 8)

Old Greenhorn

It sure looks like white oak, but it could be ash too. Hickory would be way down the list if guesses for me.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

xlogger

My guess is ash, but will wait on Danny to override ;D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

stavebuyer

WDH

It is definitely ash.  That green lichen loves to grow on ash.  It does not grow on hickory.  Note the small twig in the third pic on the right near the small log showing the end grain.  It is opposite branched like it should be for ash.  Hickory is alternate branched. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stavebuyer

I am no expert by any means and if Danny says Ash he is most likely correct... but I have never known ash to be considered "heavy" or its branches to be "flexible". Its among the lightest weight and the branches probably the most brittle of any hardwood tree I have cut.

petefrom bearswamp

Ash twigs are brittle and break easily.
White ash here has a substantial area brown of heartwood.
The bark is ash like tho.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ReggieT

Well, just spoke with the guy I got it from and these are his words, "Yeah, it used to drop a bumper crop of nuts every other year fer many years yung feller...tastiest dern hickory nuts I ever did taste ;)!" :D smiley_clapping
Now it could be that ever "elusive & fabled nut producing Ash tree!"  oz_smiley thumbs-up

Dave Shepard

Everything that I can see in those pictures says ash to me. I've mistaken pignut for ash, but only until I tried to saw it.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

If that guy is eating nuts off that tree, that guy is a nut :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TKehl

My vote is also Ash.

Maybe there is a Hickory tree uphill or over a roof.  My parents have one over their roof and it will shoot nuts 60-75 yards or so on occasion.

Either way looks like you have some good firewood.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Southside

He's an old guy, maybe he got a kick out of trying to get you to climb an ash tree to pick some hickory nuts some day....they can be that way you know.   :D  Back when I lived where we had propane lights and refrigerators a guy came passing by on the river who had every gadget that LL Bean sold and he was in complete awe that refrigerators could run on propane, so being a wise guy I told him I even had a propane TV set from LL Bean (it was battery) just trying to one up him.  Well the guy asked if he could stop by my camp and look at it that evening so when he arrived I had stuck a piece of copper tube into the back of the TV and the other end into the log chinking, I was sitting there watching it when he paddled up.  Absolutely horrible reception as the only station it would get was in Quebec and that was probably 75 miles away, but there I sat watching it.  He was in complete awe and to top it off I said that I needed to change the tank and that was why the screen was so fuzzy with all the lines running across it.  He bought it hook, line, and sinker.  I even told him where in the store they carried them as he was going to pick one up on his way home.  I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall when he was in the store...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ReggieT

****UPDATED SPLIT PICS****
Split a few rounds earlier today and it was gnarly, stringy, and full of knots! :'( fiddle-smiley huh-smiley
Here are some pics:

ReggieT

Quote from: TKehl on March 01, 2019, 08:56:33 AM
My vote is also Ash.

Maybe there is a Hickory tree uphill or over a roof.  My parents have one over their roof and it will shoot nuts 60-75 yards or so on occasion.

Either way looks like you have some good firewood.   ;)

YIKES! 
Did the hickory tree have a bazooka or rocket launcher, "it will shoot nuts 60-75 yards or so on occasion?" :D :o :o :o :o

Southside

What does it smell like?  It has no heart wood at all.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

ReggieT

Quote from: Southside logger on March 02, 2019, 11:33:22 PM
What does it smell like?  It has no heart wood at all.  
Smells kinda sweet/milky like

hacknchop

It kind of looks and acts like the Elm we have here not much for heart  , fairly heavy and stringy when split and if It was standing dead will have that sweet milky smell . 
We no longer have any huge Elm because beetle went through in late 70's killed most of them we have a few left on our place about 12" now cut the odd one by mistake for wood and I have milled some anyway that's what it looks like to me.
Often wrong never indoubt

ReggieT

Quote from: hacknchop on March 03, 2019, 12:46:12 AM
It kind of looks and acts like the Elm we have here not much for heart  , fairly heavy and stringy when split and if It was standing dead will have that sweet milky smell .
We no longer have any huge Elm because beetle went through in late 70's killed most of them we have a few left on our place about 12" now cut the odd one by mistake for wood and I have milled some anyway that's what it looks like to me.
Hmm...someone else had mentioned elm as well.
Any particular type of elm & is it decent firewood?

WDH

Oh yea of little faith ;D.  If it was elm, it would not have ash bark :).  

petefrom bearswamp

Also ash is straight grained not stringy like the pics
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Southside

Maybe it's an Elm tree that underwent re-assignment surgery to become a Hickory but now identifies as an Ash... :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Well, now you have seen a stringy ash ;D.  

Southside.  Don't go there :D. 

Hewer of Wood

I think stavebuyer might be on to something. The bark looks like ash, but the rest doesn't seem to quite fit. In the first picture the end of the log has the wrong look. The knots/remnants of limbs has a greenish color around the edges of the knots. I've never seen that in ash. To be fair in my area I've only run across a handful of black gum, but they very much resemble the log in question. And every piece I've split has been very rough splitting stuff, like the ones pictured. I've had some stringy ash, but not like those, where the grain is so interlocked it doesn't really split, it more tears apart.
1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

ReggieT

I'm a starting think Black Gum or some type of sweet-gum creature! taz-smiley

Thank You Sponsors!