iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mothballing a Wood-Mizer

Started by BAR, November 04, 2008, 10:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAR

I have an LT27 that gets used (for now) only a few hours per year and it has to be stored outside in the New Hampshire weather. Head end is well protected with a tarp but I am concerned about rust on the rails which the manual says are not replaceable. I have applied transmission fluid in the past but its really not adequate...it washes away in the rain. I have thought about applying a coat of chassis grease to the rails and may do that but then I'm concerned about all that grease getting all over me and everything else each time I use it.  Perhaps i could cover them with tubing or something but don't want to risk entrapping moisture.

Anybody have any ideas?  A shed is not an option.

Thanks in advance and a GREAT forum.
3340 Zetor with Allied Loader & Fransguard Winch, Woodmizer LT27T,

raycon

What I had on an older mill was PVC with a slit cut down the length. This snapped onto the rail. Covered the  rail with transmission fluid then snapped the tube on and that is how it sat when not in use for long periods.
Lot of stuff..

MrMoo

I have a mill that sits outside in New Hamshire weather too. I apply Fluid Film to the rails and then cover as much as possible with a tarp. You can get Fluid Film at Chappell Tractor or the John Deere place in Dover.

DWM II

CRC makes a areosol cozmolene (sic) that dries hard. It will remove easily with wd 40 also. I would use this product but would make sure the surfaces I want to protect are clean as a whistle before I coated them. I wouldnt shy away from leaving it on and re-coating between uses if you only use a few hours per year.
Stewardship Counts!

Dave Shepard

I vote for the cosmoline, if it's good enough for Uncle Sam  :D A friend of mine has a barrel of it. Someone gave him a little frialator and he uses it to melt it before applying. It's tough stuff!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

musikwerke

My Wood-Mizer lives outside and I'm within a stone's throw of the ocean.  I slit 1" PVC pipe on the table saw so that it snaps onto the rail tightly and with that plus a coating of ATF I've had no problem with rust.  (I can't say that the factory vinyl covers are 100% watertight though)
John

bandmiller2

A real problem with plastic tarps is they sweat,hold moisture, and are almost worse than no cover at all.A simple shed roof is lightyears ahead of a plastic tarp in fact build a simple frame and put the tarp over it allowing for free air movement.Those pipe and plastic garages they sell work OK.I scrounged pieces of rubber membrane roofing that work well for temp. cover don't wrap tight and allow for air movement.Keep the mill bed and track painted,spray metal protector works short term.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

BAR

Thanks All, for your comments. 
I ended up applying a thin layer of chassis grease by finger and covering it with 1 1/2" vinyl well pipe which I had on hand.  Hopefully the oversize pipe diameter will allow enough air movement to prevent moisture buildup inside.
BAR
3340 Zetor with Allied Loader & Fransguard Winch, Woodmizer LT27T,

MartyParsons

Gas in the engine and tank should also be removed for long periods over 90 days. We also see engine electrical plug wires damaged by mice.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

backwoods sawyer

One other thing to consider if you are storing it outside is to get it up off the ground and away from the sawdust. As the rain will splatter the sawdust back onto the mill and when left for long times it can be corrosive. Keep the weeds from growing up thru it as well by placing it on a compacted surface or laying some boards down under it and spraying for weeds from time to time. You do not want to come back to it in a few years and find trees growing up thru it. Use lots of grease as you do not want to find out later that you left to much grease in your grease gun.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!