iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to measure bar length?

Started by Mark M, April 01, 2004, 08:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

So then, how do you measure the bar length? I got a used 019 and I need a new chain so I need to know how long the bar is. I know that 12" and 14" are common sizes for this saw but when I measure it the length is about 13" from the tip to where it comes out of the saw. So where do you measure to?

Mark

redpowerd

it dont say on the bar? it may be in metric
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

jokers

Mark,

It sounds like a 14"er without me going an measuring. It should be imprinted near the tail of the bar with the pitch, gauge, and number of drive links. How many DLs does the current chain have?

Russ

oldsaw-addict

The bar is normally measured from the front of the case to the end of the bar, then you round off the number to the next nearest even number. I just count the drivelinks pitch and gauge of the chain that is already there and get another one just like it.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Rocky_J

A 14" chain will have 50-52 links. 16" chains are usually 55-57.

Mark M

Thanks everyone, I'll take it off and see what I can tell. It is a Stihl bar but I didn't see the info I was looking for stamped on the bar. If nothing else I'll count the links.

Mark

Tree_Frog

:-/

Mark

Russ, Rocky and Oldsaw-Addit
  They must be tired  or short of time at this moment. They know the answer about saw bars or about saws altogeather I have been reading their reply on an other site they are very Good

Tree Frog

Rocky_J

Actually, I just figured we had already put enough time and effort into this particular question. I gave him an accurate answer, and there are other good and accurate answers here. Also, when he walks into his Stihl dealer and slaps the old bar and chain on the counter, it will take the guy about 2 seconds to see what length it is. So further detailed analysis here is pretty much wasted time. Hopefully the dealer will also sell him a sprocket to go with the new bar and chain.

Kevin, I hope I don't sound too sarcastic here. Not intentional, but if I do then please edit as you see fit. I seem to have the social skills of a....... well, of a skwerl.  ;D

Duane_Moore

Mark. I do belive that if you measure from the first stud to the tip of a bar this will give you the length, go ahead guys give heck. Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Mark M

That's kinda what I was looking for Duane but I appreciate the other info too. I was trying to avoid taking it apart just right now.

Rocky, I don't know much about squirrels but there is another animal that comes to mind. ;)

Mark

Rocky_J

Sorry Mark. Just mark a tooth with chalk or a marker and count from there, you can spin the chain on the bar by hand until you get back to your marked tooth.

But if it's been that long since you removed the side cover for service, you probably want to take the saw to your dealer and let him look at it. Just to make sure you don't have other damaged parts, such as the sprocket or chain catchers or AV mounts or....

Mark M

Hi Rocky

I just bought it off eBay and the chain is pretty well worn down. I hadn't thought about checking the chain catcher so I'm glad you mentioned that. I'll llok at the other stuff too.

Thanks
Mark

Tree_Frog

:P

Mark

Rocky is telling you how to save money and whats is best for your saw .new sprocket-bar-chain work perfect togeather and last longer. Cheaper in long run---How do I know he and other members on an other site gave me the same advice .

The young man  with the straw hat is correct  to  I been given this advice also

You have been getting advice from some of the Best

Tree Frog

Thank You Sponsors!