iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Veneer timber

Started by mississippi, January 10, 2006, 04:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mississippi

Hello,

I've got a pretty good stand of hardwood timber consisting of red oak, white oak, poplar, etc that is located in Central Mississipppi.  I think I have a large volume of veneer timber and have a few questions I would like to ask. 

1.  Do veneer mills ever buy standing timber?  If so, do they cut the veneer quality logs and sale the
     rest as sawlogs?

2.  If  veneer mills do buy standing timber,  is it alot more profitable than selling the whole tract as
     regular sawlogs?

3.  I've got a couple of Black Walnut trees that total around 1200 bf.  How much are they worth?

Thanks,
mississippi

Ron Wenrich

Veneer mills usually by logs from loggers or mills.  Some do buy stumpage, but it has to be some really prime stuff that they want.  But, that is a rare.

By buying only from loggers, they only get the logs that they can use and don't have to worry about marketing the other logs.  A lot depends on how their business is set up.  Someitmes value decrease after the tree is cut due to unseen defects.

The best thing to do is have a forester look at your stand.  A consultant can give you an appraisal and an inventory to figure out how much it is worth.  That way, you can look at any sale with data, not maybes.

As for the walnut, its like me asking how much the ring on my right hand is worth.  The answer is it depends, and I can't make an appraisal without seeing it up close and personal.   

Are you contemplating cutting the trees to liquidate assets or to enhance the stand?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mississippi

I bought this land within the last year.  I have two 33 acre tracts of land.  I hired a forester to cruise, market, and sale my timber.  One tract has 227,000 bf and the other has 141,000 bf.  Neither tract has been marked for a clear cut.  There will be alot of 22-24" trees left.  I don't think the land has been cut for about 40 or more years.   So,  I plan to sale the timber soon , but with so much volume on small acreage, I think that there is a decent amount of veneer.  My forestor said there is veneer timber there, but he hasn't had much luck selling veneer.  I was just wondering how it works.  I thought that if we advertise to veneer mills, we might get more money.  There are only two veneer mills in my area that I know of.  If this timber is really good stuff, would a veneer mill have it shipped to their mill?

The three black walnut trees are all around 22" and pretty straight.  Should I try to seperate them from the rest of the timber and sale them later?  or Have them cut now?  I guess what I trying to ask is:  Is the market for black walnut pretty much the same year round or does it fluctuate like the rest of the timber?

Thanks
mississippi

populus

Tom Richards is the log buyer for Freeman Corp. Freeman is the largest veneer company in the US. located in Winchester KY.  Tom is an ethical, straight-up guy and Freeman is a good company to do business with.  You can call time at 859-744-4311.  If he is not interested in your logs, he may be able to give you some good advice on your options.  And they do buy standing timber.

Note: I know Tom and the Freeman company but have no financial relationship with their business.

Ron Scott

I can't imagine your timber stand not selling at a good price, especially if it has veneer in it. Have it selectively marked, inventoried and appraised for its minimum sale value and place it on the bid market for premium values.

Include the walnut unless you have a seperate and selective walnut market in your area. Your forester should be able to handle all this for you for the best returns on your timber and continued sustainability of your stand.
~Ron

Hoop

Any forester that can't sell veneer isn't worth having!!  Run the moron off pronto with a swift kick in the keister.  You may want to sling a couple of rounds of OOBuckshot into his vehicle just for good measure. 

With the overabundance of timber in the pipeline from Katrina, I'd advise holding off for at least a year until prices rebound.  I am certain Mississippi is awash in timber right now and the price can't be very good.  A 2 or 3 year wait COULD be far more prudent.

Remember, you'll be able to log the property once every generation.  Do YOUR research.  If you hook up with some moron forester that can't find his butt with both hands, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Phorester

What HOOP said, but with some qualifications:

A forester who has looked at your timber and who knows your local markets will always give you better information than asking a bunch of us who haven't seen it and don't know your local timber markets.

But it never hurts to get a second forester's opinion on site, as HOOP is so politely suggesting   ;D (No offense meant, HOOP) 

As I've said many times before, just be sure to get a graduate forester, and one who is working for you, not one wanting to buy your trees.

J_T

Could you do your own logging and selling ??? Hire yourself a good cutter and go at it  8) Bet you'll come out with two thirds more than the best offer ???
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!