iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

emerald ash borer

Started by sprucebunny, July 23, 2004, 09:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

Update on the guy who hid the ash firewood in his motor home to cross the Mackinaw Bridge. On the news this morning they reported he got a thousand dollar fine. Lucky him it could have been 10,000 dollars.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Jeff

I think this is one case they should have made an example out of. The guy KNEW what he was doing and intentionally tried to hide the wood.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

A thousand dollars would make me sit at home for awhile.

Jeff

I dont think he should have been sitting at home. I think he should have been sitting in jail.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

jtmccallum

Quote from: Corley5 on October 18, 2005, 11:31:37 PM
So when are we going to hear some results of the trap tree survey?  The trees around here cut and chipped some time ago.  There must be preliminary findings.  Is the public going to be let in on it in timely matter or is it going to be some deep dark secret that's kept as long as possible? 

Last year the trees around here were cut and chipped. (Midland County)   This year we had one by our house,  I wondered if they missed it.  Just noticed today they stripped the bark off and cut it down.  Saw another tree cut the same way when I drove over to our farm to go hunting today.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Emrldashbr

FYI
  When looking at the MDA/EAB website www.michigan.gov/eab be careful that what you are looking at is for you.  In a post waaaaay back in this thread someone mentions the FAQ for contractors.  That is in regards to the State Sponsored Ash Removal Contracts (ARC).  The EAB ARC is a contract between the State and pre-approved contractors to remove trees for Homeowners (ONLY through the Municipal Coordinator!) and the Municipality.  Under this contract a community within the EAB quarantined counties can access the State contract and the contract has set price limits for the removal of Ash Trees.
  The contract limits pricing on ash trees only, living/dead/healthy/infested ash trees.  Only the contractors working under this contract are obligated to honor those prices, and only when the contract is accessed by the community's acting Municipal Coordinator.  The community decides if they will participate according to need and interest of the residents.  Trees are inventoried and measured.  Pricing is according to tree size and location (back yard trees are considered harder and cost more).  The purpose of the contract is to help ease the burden to the homeowner when trying to remove a tree that could pose a risk to the public and property.  It is NOT intended to eradicate the insect.  The contract applies only to areas that are considered generally infested, so movement, use, and disposal of the materials is allowed in any way that does not violate the EAB quarantine.
  Originally the contract required un-used materials be disposed of at the "closest EAB Marshalling Yard."  Due to cutbacks in Federal funding and the preference of the USDA that funding be used in areas where control or eradication might be effective (rather than clean up efforts) the State of MI is no longer able to offer free disposal of ash materials.  Soooo we eased up on where the materials are disposed of, as long as the quarantine is adhered to.
  Also an important note!  Ash materials can be moved outside of the quarantine UNDER A COMPLIANCE AGREEMENT (sorry, I am not shouting just want to be clear).  Compliance Agreements (CAs) can be written to fit almost any situation, and require that materials be handled properly.  One example would be for a sawmill outside of the quarantine to receive infested ash logs during the "non-flight" season.  So long as the logs are de-barked, slabbed of 1/2" of exterior wood, and the slabs are disposed of before flight season begins.  Disposal could mean hauling the slabwood back into the quarantine, burning the materials, or chipping the materials to 1" or less (in at least two dimensions).
  You all have so many good insights and questions but Shotgun's suggestion is best.  Call someone from the MDA and talk to people that have the facts.  Other agencies may know about EAB but are not always accurate with the details.  For instance booking a reservation in a campground, you might be instructed not to bring firewood, or told not to bring ash firewood, or not told anything about firewood.  You can, and will be in violation of the quarantine if you are transporting "non-coniferous" firewood out of the quarantine.  Even if it isn't ash!  Beleive it or not some people in this world can't identify ash wood from other species, particularly when its been cut into firewood.  As such the quarantine is not just for Ash firewood.  Also any logs (any "non-coniferous" spp) 4' or less in length that will be turned into firewood are a regulated item and can lead to prosecution.
  I'll stop blathering on now, know the facts, and if possible get it in writing.
Thanks and have a great Holiday.
Jereme
New exotic pest to watch for Phytopthora Ramorum.

Jason_WI

Here is an article on Excite about EAB and what is going on to eradicate this bug.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051225/D8EN0TOG8.html

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

estiers

Didn't know where to put this, so I thought I would put it here.  After 2 fun filled years with the EAB program, I have accepted a new position in Topeka, Kansas, effective 6/5/06.  I will still be with the USDA, just not with the EAB program.  I had a great time here keeping you informed of the issue and meeting all of you.  I will try to peek in occasionally to see what is going on here.  It will be sad to leave Michigan and the program, but this move will put my family in a better position.  Thank you for letting me into your lives.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

OneWithWood

Good luck to you Estiers.  I have appreciated your willingness to keep us informed.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

MSU_Keith

Thanks for all your help here - good wishes to you and your family in KS.  Make sure you let us know who your replacement is (and let them know about the FF).

SwampDonkey

Thanks for being a part of the forum estiers. I also have a friend into bugs who just moved from Radford, Va to northern Idaho this winter. He's registered on here, but I think he fell off the globe since the move. ;D  :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

9shooter

I haven't read extensivly about how the emerald ash borer spreads and have been wondering about it. It seems that the effort is primarily in controling the movement of wood. I work in the summer clearing lof jams in some area rivers. It has occured to me that the river systems would be a considerable threat to the spread of the bug. I don't believe it's much of a streach that if the bugs fall in the water they might survive and climb out somewhere along the stream. I have been on the look-out for any infestations/damaged or dieback of ash trees but have not seen anything conclusive yet. I live just south of M-21 and have noticed that quite a few miles of that road is lined with ash trees. With their proximity to 2 major sawmills and a veneer yard it would seem logical to remove those trees. So far the state hasn't done that.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Corley5

I've heard from a very reliable source that with the exception of the check point at the Bridge Michigan's  EAB program is for the most part toast.  The budget has been axed :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BCCrouch

You're not surprised by this old news, are you?
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Corley5

Nope not a bit.  From what I was told there is a million and half dollars to work with statewide including the goings on at the Bridge.  Bye Bye ash trees :( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Rural

The Emerald Ash Borer has been moving into SW Ontario, Canada in recent years and has now been found as far north as the northern Bruce Peninsular some 100km north of my property as well as several other areas somewhat closer. So far I have not seen any evidence of them in my bush but I understand it takes some years for an effected tree to show signs. Some municipalities and landowners reaction has been to harvest all mature ash in order 'to stop the spread of the insect' or to sell the lumber before it is effected, this seems to be an ineffective policy. Ash in this area is a very common tree and there is no way that ALL ash trees can be culled and thus the effort to stop the spread by this means is doomed to failure, in y own case it would mean the removal of perhaps 30% of my bush leaving just a few thousand acres of neighbouring properties covered in ash trees!
So after a long lead in can anyone here tell me if an ash tree effected by the borer, perhaps showing the first signs or even all but dead due to the infestation, is still good lumber? It appears that the EAB attacks the outer part of the tree so do we then have 'standing dried lumber' or something that is nothing but firewood?
If we see trees that are effected at what point should we cut them  if we want to mill the wood for lumber?

Ron Scott

RE:  EAB WORKSHOP

Science and Management of Ash Forests After Emerald Ash Borer
25-27 July 2017
Duluth, MN. 

Please visit our website for more details about the workshop and logistics https://ashworkshop.org/

The workshop will focus on the ecological effects of emerald ash-borer and management activities used to address the impacts on ash- dominant forests. Our intent is to discuss the current science and management and to strengthen networking and collaborations among forest managers and researchers. We invite contributions to the workshop in oral or poster format on the following and other related topics:

The call for abstracts (https://ashworkshop.org/call-for-abstract/) and registration (https://ashworkshop.org/registration/) are now open. The deadline for abstract submission is 28 February 2017.  We have also arranged for a special issue of Forests focused on this topic, and invite you to submit a manuscript by 31 December 2017.  For more information: http://www.mdpi.com/journal/forests/special_issues/EAB.

Nick Bolton
Representing the organizing committee

--
Nicholas W. Bolton
PhD Candidate
School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931-1295
Tel: 269.303.1017
email: nwbolton@mtu.edu

~Ron

Rural

Quote from: Rural on November 16, 2016, 01:06:48 PM
can anyone here tell me if an ash tree effected by the borer, perhaps showing the first signs or even all but dead due to the infestation, is still good lumber? It appears that the EAB attacks the outer part of the tree so do we then have 'standing dried lumber' or something that is nothing but firewood?
If we see trees that are effected at what point should we cut them  if we want to mill the wood for lumber?

Having waited with baited breath for a knowledgeable sawyer to say if they have sawn any infested lumber without response I can only repeat my request for information in this regard. There have been further reports of infestations here in SW Ontario but dont see any in my bush.......yet!.

thechknhwk

Infested trees make good lumber as long as they don't stand dead too long.  Sometimes they rot, or dry out on the stump and the logs get deep cracks in them.  Hope that answers your question.

SwampDonkey

We've been lucky so far here, no bugs. But only a matter of time I suspect. The woods here in the farming areas has lots of ash with maple. One decent tree the moose don't harass too much. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

square1

What the lumber is intended for also needs to be considered. Boards from an infested tree can make good lumber for local use. It would be poor lumber if the plan was to ship it elsewhere.

@thechknhwk is spot on with the comment about what happens after the tree is killed.

thechknhwk

Shipping out of the area should not matter as long as the lumber is free of bark since the larvae lives in the cambium layer beneath the bark.  Although it may not be allowed or kiln drying may be required depending on your local ordinances.  It's pretty much a lost cause around here.

square1

There may be quarrintines in place legally prohibitting the movement of the material. It is correct the larvae live in the cambium but in preparation for the pupa stage it can / does burrow into the sapwood.

Ron Scott

The heartwood of the affected trees are primarily sawn. Much has been sawn here in Lower Michigan.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,31656.msg457361.html#msg457361
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!