iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw boots

Started by Timbercruiser, April 25, 2012, 09:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

No problem with mine at all. I was concerned about the shins part too. But I always wear 2 pair of stockings. One kinda light and than a heavy winter sock. Been doing this for over 20 years and have no more trouble with my feet. I went the powder route and nothing worked. I just hope my next pair will be as good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Thecfram - do you have the liners in yours?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

Nope. But I wore them all winter cutting wood, 4-6 hours a day,with just my 2 pair of stockings and my feet were nice and warm. I do have another pair of boots that my wife bought me made out of man made material that also keep my feet nice and warm. I really only brought the Vikings for warm weather,that's why no linings. I wanted to see how warm they was in snow. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yes, mine are Viking. By lining I mean the cotton backing of the rubber (or what ever it is they use to bond it) And I only use socks as well. I have worn them in -20F when we had an icy winter in 2009. The caulks kept me upright and I was not cold. It was like walking on glacier, no need for snowshoes or skis. ;D Anyway, it's all I can wear in the woods or I would be twice as tired by days end. Plus when thinning some spots can be wet or mossy. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aquacanis

Markd,  Please don't be upset or disillusioned by chainsaw boots.  Yes we have been bombarded by a lot of "new stuff" in our life time.  I am going on 69 and never "heard" of ear plugs or muffs in the late 50's Huh?  Huh? I can't hear you now.  My 82 year old buddy can't and refuses to believe all the new safety stuff is good.  He chooses to deny that people have developed important safety tools.  Getting cut was just one of those things that eventually happens to all of us using a chain saw.  He was only cut 3 times himself.  Still laughs when he sees me in my safety garb.  My father and grand father were wrong.  My friend is wrong.  In the "good old days"  they just did not know any better and did not have the technology.  THE SAFETY EQUIPMENT WORKS!  How's your hearing?  Mine is shot.  No protection first five-six years I started cutting.  Tell your children and grand children to wear it.  I cut about three hours a day about 15 days a year now and I get it all on and wear it.  I am in the barn so to speak but I still do not want to get seriously injured or lose any more hearing.  It does not replace carelessness but it sure as hell lessens injuries and sometimes totally prevents them. 

BobR

I have been considering the Labonville leather, waterproof, kevlar chainsaw boots for some time.
They are spendy but seem to be worth it if they stop me from cutting my foot while I'm clearing brush around the acreage.
Have any of you used these boots?
Were they comfortable and or easy to break in?
These boots come in high heel and low heel models. What are the pros and cons of each??
Thanks for your insight and opinions!

Bob R.

aquacanis

Hey Bob,  I will be buying a pair within the next month.  Probably in June.  I take a EE boot size so the 13EE should fit me fine.  I cannot wear any of the high heel loggng style boots so I am ordering the lower heel.  Just my body build I guess.

BobR

Thanks for the quick reply.
I also went back and reread the posts and see that there is one person who owns and rates the Labonvilles highly.
I still wonder about the heels - I'm guessing the high heels are for those who wear the spikes for tree climbing - that's not me.
All my other boots are low heeled and work fine, so I think I'll order a pair of those.
Thanks!

Bob R.

shinnlinger

My labonville s are low healed but I only did that because im 6'4"and it may have been all they had in the store in my size that day. I got lucky as they had a sale going and the water proof ones were the same as what I was planning on spending on the regular model.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

nixon

I wear haix extreme pro boots .i like the way they fit . I also wear swedepro full wraps ,hearing protection ,and safety glasses when I cut .
Thats my choice . If for whatever reason you don't want to wear any of that gear , it's your choice .
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

markd

I've worked in the woods since I was 18 and I've always worn ear muffs,safety glasses and cork boots and that makes me feel safe and  I feel like I can function well the way I dress. I think everybody has their own level of feeling safe and I don't push my ways on anybody, My neighbor buys every piece of safety equipment on the market and I always chuckle to myself when I see him tossin firewood in the pickup in his full monkey suit  but that makes him feel safe and that's what counts and "that's all I have to say about that"
markd

MrMoo

I have the Matterhorn boots they are lace up boots like you are looking for. Kind of warm in July but I would rather be protected.

jtdcg

I have a pair of the older Labonville boot model (they now offer a new sole and waterproof version for more money).    They have been good fitting and comfortable for me.  Luckily I've not had to test their performance with my saw.     Originally I wanted to get a pair of the viking or similar rubber boots but couldnt get the right fit.  They were cheaper and more waterproof although are quite hot from my in-law's experience.

I do wish I had a more waterproof version,  as even treated they are't as good a something with made to be waterproof.  I have the low heel, which has been fine for me.   

In terms of durability,  I would say they are ok.  I am starting to have seams come apart where the leather is stitched together around the eyelets.  I am not a professional,  only wear when using saw and have had for 3 seasons. 

Version I have is now priced at 195$,  the newer waterproof with better sole is up at $250.  If I were to do it again I'd like the waterproof but have a hard time with the $250 price.  Gempler has the viking for 119$

nixon

Quote from: nixon on April 30, 2012, 07:12:16 PM
I wear haix extreme pro boots .i like the way they fit . I also wear swedepro full wraps ,hearing protection ,and safety glasses when I cut .
Thats my choice . If for whatever reason you don't want to wear any of that gear , it's your choice .

Markd , this wasn't aimed at you . Apologies if you took it that way.
I'm all for personal choice . PPE is a personal choice ,and should be kept that way .
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

alabama

Quote from: markd on April 25, 2012, 11:21:47 PM
It doesn't upset me, it just seems like we get bombarded with advertisements for everything one can imagine and some things one can't imagine. I don't see how one could function with all the gear they say we need.

One can never be too safe! Better to be safe than sorry...
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

upnut

I wear a pair of Haix Airpower cut protection boots from Baily's, not exactly chainsaw boots but better than no protection at all. They are comfortable, keep my feet dry, and have held up well so far. My only complaint is the hard sole is slippery on hard pack snow and ice. I think the less experienced person is exactly the one who needs PPE. My favorite quote... "Experience is simply a series of non-fatal mistakes"... ;)...Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

SwampDonkey

Mine is, "The best techniques are passed on by the survivors"  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Loggerpro.

I use the orange Vikings lugsoles and it's been good boot this year, (only complain it gets a little hot when temps are above 80deg f outside.
They have fantastic grip and have the steel toe, and a lot of cut protection .
With chaps and those boots, your lower legs are pretty much protected against any single cut of any chainsaw.

thecfarm

Loggerpro,welcome to the forum.

Thank You Sponsors!