iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

marks on trees

Started by roman, May 08, 2013, 04:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roman

We were walking snowmobile trails yesterday to view repair projects.
Saw some marks on trees I have seen before like blue marks. There were numerous ones I have not seen, bright red circles (about 12-18 inches diameter) with a line angled through them. These were exclusively on large straight pines.
Is it merely what it seems, Don't cut this tree?

Thanks

thecfarm

Up date your profile with at least the state to help out with where you are from.
I have not seen or heard of them markings.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hillbillyhogs

dag on ALIENS again!!  :D

Seriously, where are you located

enigmaT120

And who owns the land?  Forest service, BLM, private? 

The BLM has been doing a lot of thinning near my place.  They're selling quite a bit of timber.  My complaint is they marked the leave trees, not the trees that are being cut.  So when they are done every tree has a stupid orange spray mark.

Other than that I think they're doing a good job.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Ron Scott

Who owns the property? Check with the property owner to determine if they are authorized marks and for what purpose? The marks have some meaning and purpose to someone.
~Ron

crtreedude

Besides the marks on trees that I do, with paint, the only marks I see are claw marks of the pumas...  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

enigmaT120

Quote from: crtreedude on May 09, 2013, 12:35:30 PM
Besides the marks on trees that I do, with paint, the only marks I see are claw marks of the pumas...  :o

Don't you guys have jaguars down there, too?  I wonder if they ever interact.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

roman

I am from New Hampshire. This is private land. Can't seem to upload pics, don't see a upload pics shortcut. I must be a duh!

crtreedude

Quote from: enigmaT120 on May 09, 2013, 12:43:40 PM
Quote from: crtreedude on May 09, 2013, 12:35:30 PM

Don't you guys have jaguars down there, too?  I wonder if they ever interact.

Yes we do, we see a black one frequently in the Amapola plantation which backs up to a huge national forest.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

beenthere

roman
There is pic posting help at this link. Just need to set up your gallery, and have the pic in your computer, and follow the simple directions... but let us know where a hang-up is, if it doesn't work.
We (most of us) have been there...:)
Jeff has worked out a great system for the Forum.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

Used to a blue mark was a "cut tree", a yellow mark was a "leave tree", three orange slash marks was the unit boundry, an H marked on a tree ment leave it for a "habitat tree", etc, etc, etc.
Now our state forestry marks only leave tree's, and they mark them in blue.  ??? Three orange slash marks of any color marks the boundries. And what we called a Habitat tree is now marked with a big W, stands for Wildlife tree.  ::)
Marking trees is a language all it's own, and like any other language it changes with time.
Remember when Smokey Bear said; "Only you can prevent forest fires"? Now he says; "Only you can prevent wild fires".  ??? Ok, now I've confused myself.  :D

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

roman

Thanks guys... here is the pic!

Phorester

There are no standard paint marks that apply nationwide.  It depends on who put the marks on the trees as to what they mean. As stated previously, you need to check with the landowner first.

roman

GATreeGrower

A few years ago I was supposed to mark a boundary where some burnt and diseased timber was being cut and like a dummy I picked the worst cankered trees to mark, thinking they would take them out.  They are still there and every time I ride by that place it annoys me. :D

Thank You Sponsors!