iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hammer Speed

Started by Charles135, May 20, 2012, 06:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles135

I have searched to prior postings and have been unalbe to locate an thread on how to obtain the hammer speed of my circular saw blade.  It is not stamped on blades and I have the oportunity to purchase 6 blades want to make sure they are all the same speed.  Can anyone tell me how to determine the hammer speed of a blade and if it is especially important to keep the same speed blade on at all times?
Thanks
Charlie
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

bandmiller2

Charlie,hammered speed is usally not stamped on a saw.Best is if the seller knowes or at least knows who hammered them,as smiths keep records.If their all from the same mill chances are their the same speed.If all else fails you just need to have them hammered to your speed and checked by the smith.You can just mount them and turn them up if their stable and cut straight bingo you got it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sigidi

Like Frank said Charlie, if they are hammered for the wrong speed, they can be re-hammered. If the price is nice, go for it ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

b dukes

Which of the sawmills are they for?  Keep in mind the Belsaw has a smaller arbor than the Frick. I think the arbor on my Belsaw is 1 3/8 . You can use blades with a larger arbor size but a bushing will have to be made. When I had my blade hammered, I had the bits and shanks replace.  Have you decided on which mill you are going to buy yet?

Charles135

BDukes,
I have found a 4 head Frick within about 5 minutes from my house.  I looked at it today, and it was in pretty good shape,and really complete with a few extras.  The guy was asking a bit more that I wanted to spend on a hobby mill.  I am going to look a M14 this weekend that appears complete in photos.  The blades are off another frick mill.  I am leaning toward the frick because it will cover everything I will ever need to saw.
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit

sawsmith

to find the rpm to hammer your saw at you need to know rpm of power unit and dia. of pulley's. motor rmpXdia. of small pulley Divided by dia. of large pulley. blade speed is very important to know when getting a saw rolled (or hammered)

Charles135

Sawsmith,
Are the diameters and motor rpm something a good blade smith will ask or should ask?
Thanks for the info!
Charlie
Charlie

sawsmith

Charles135
Any saw doctor will need to know the rpm that your blade is turning within +/- 50 RPM either way so if you dont have a tachometer to figure it out they will need to figure it out by info you supply them.

dblair

the saw doctor will take the speed of your mill and hammer the blade for it . usually the speed will be under 600 rpm as you want about 7k to 7.5k ft per min cutting speed , mine is a 48 inch doing 580 or 7288 ft per min. there are also speeds not to be exceeded on madrel sizes . I post them later .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Thank You Sponsors!