iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanG crazy way to trim a lot of trees, FAST

Started by low_48, December 04, 2006, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

This is the craziest way to trim trees I have ever seen. That pilot is amazing.

this is a Youtube video link

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

asy

That was AMAZING.

Gotta say, not sure I'd be the guy on the ground standing so close to the saw as it comes down!!!

Thanks for showing us!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Phorester

This contraption was discussed on this forum a few months ago.  Maybe the powers-that-be can find it and link to it from here.  There was one of those working in my area last year.  Darndest thing you ever saw.

They didn't show the fellow shinnying down the pole from the helicopter to pull the starter cord.  ;D

woodmills1

unbelievable, can just imagine the copter getting pulled into the lines when the saw snags.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bill

Eyooowzebub - gives whole new meaning to what size bar you running !

:o

TexasTimbers

There is practically an unlimited number of things that can go wrong with this dance with death. It's just a matter of time before he makes it into the health & Safety section under the headline

"Helicopter Pilot Dies When Dangling Sawmill Entangles in 30,000 Volt Highline Wires, Frying Him Instantly and Slinging His Charred Remains 120 feet Below; Burning Wreckage of Helicopter Ignites 80,000 Acre Wildfire and Causes $32,000,000 in Damage...".

I can't believe the FAA would sanction this flying circus! :o
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

My former employer tried to build a pressure washer to clean high tension line insulators from a helicopter. They need to be cleaned to prevent grounding through the tower. Much to the pilot's relief, they could not get it to work. The boom sticking out the side made the machine h**l to fly and there was too much stress on the airframe. ;D

rebocardo

Didn't they use one of these in an old James Bond film to tear up a dock, a warehouse, and his car? Which was a brand new BWM model?

Furby

Actually, the reason they use it is because it is safer.
You can't get fried unless you ground out.
Meaning even if you hit one wire, you would still be ok.
A total wreck into the lines, that's a different story.

Trimming those trees from the ground with a boom truck puts you in harms way.
The wires can arc that far, thus the reason for the trimming in the first place.

PineNut

I read about the linemen working on the lines hot. They would be placed right next to the lines and then connect a wire from the bucket to the line. This was all supported by a chopper. They were only touching one line and that is the secret. The reason for the wire to the bucket is to make sure that both the line and the workers were at the same voltage.

Don P

They cleared our line with the chopper a few weeks ago. There really was no way to get any equipment on the mountainside so the choice would have been directional felling across the slope into more trees, climb or the chopper. Now I'm wondering whether to fell the toothpicks he left or just let em fall apart. I'll probably opt for the latter.
Some folks "over the hill" threw rocks, chewed out the ground crew, drove into the right of way and threatened to shoot the chopper down. Tree hugging in a right of way  ::). He should have skipped it off the ground in front of them  :D. He does set down in local pastures when the wind gets up.

Tom

What passed through my mind was, what does he do if that saw gets jammed in a tree?  Like what happens when the kerf closes on a chainsaw.

He must have an emergency detatch next to the chopper.  That would be the pits to be anchored to the ground at 100 feet and nowhere to land.

sawguy21

He does have an emergency release switch on the stick to release the longline but at that altitude, I doubt if he would be able to react quickly enough to save his butt.

sprucebunny

Ya ... it sure looks like the chopper is getting thrown around a bit  :o

"Tree-Trimming-Chopper-Pilot" might be a heck of a video game :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

rebocardo

> Some folks "over the hill" threw rocks

>:(

I would have them charged with attempted 1st degree murder.

Don P

They did get a one way taxi ride. I couldn't believe it when I read it, that pilot already has his hands full without a bunch of maroons under him. On our hills he is not facing air if something goes amiss he is looking at the ground right in front of him.
They must have insert teeth on the saws, I drove by one day and they had set down at the dairy down the road and were working on the bottom saw. It looked like they were replacing teeth, I bet it gets damaged often. It looks like the blades are counterrotating but I'm not sure. Before he came thru they had a Lull with a boom mounted blade, side tilt and articulated steering going down the lines he could. Our power had been off, I think they shut off minor lines when he's trimming.

I always heard that you never meet an old crop duster pilot, I'd say these guys are the same.

Corley5

I read somewhere that equipment or logs suspended under a helicopter is attached with exploding bolts as the quickest way to detach if something goes wrong
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Hey!!  That would be cool.   Fireworks!    :D

Jeff

We have a thread about this subject from a year or so back with a few of our own photos.

LINK
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

Exploding bolts ??? ??? An electric release cargo hook is more common and FAA approved.  ;D

Corley5

Exploding Bolt Thread https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3993.0
They probably use them because there isn't as much lag time.  Nothing mechanical just blow it  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Camp Run Farm

They came across my property last summer with this flying chain saw, it was the fanciest flying I have ever seen.  Also saw them working on high tension towers near Mason Town PA, they used a helicopter and a guy stepped out of the helicopter onto the top of the tower while the helicopter hovered a couple of feet from the tower.  When I saw it I almost drove off the road, I stopped and watched them for about 30 minutes, it was nothing less than incredible!

asy

I'm waiting for them to work out how to fly the helicopter upside down like a GIANT whippersnipper!!!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

Helicopters do not fly well upside down at all.  :D :D When Canadian Helicopters got the first of their Robinson R-22's, somebody suggested flipping it over by grabbing the tailboom to trim the grass. The pilot did not see the humor in it.

Thank You Sponsors!