iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In the market for OWB

Started by W8AT, October 05, 2019, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

@woody_88 by junk wood I mean dead rotten wood. Some standing dead wood.Which can be on the wet side. Than if I find something on the ground,if I can haul it out of the woods,I burn it. I just found a few fir,some more than a foot, across on the ground. That was junk wood. ;D  On the rotten side,but was in the way. I only have a 40 hp tractor and driving across something a foot across is not a great idea. Before I got the OWB I would push these fallen trees out of the way. Sometimes I would push them out of the way 2-3 times. :o  That is one reason why I got the OWB. No more pushing the wood out of the way. I did have alot of dead white pine on my land. Been after it since 2007 and there is still more. I burn alot of dead fir in my OWB. I had my land logged and I am still picking up wood that they left behind.
I have a OWB that will take a 54 inch stick. Plenty of room to burn any wood that is crooked or no reason to cut the dead stubs off either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woody_88

...crystal clear on the definition of junk wood there cfarm. The old style boilers def work best for you. There is a level of "carefree" that I find attractive with those, as opposed to the newer gassers

W8AT

Quote from: E Yoder on October 29, 2019, 05:13:31 AMAwesome, post some pictures when you get a chance.

Will do Eldon, been controlled chaos here for the past week, I'll try to take some and post em tomorrow.
Do not go where the path may lead, instead blaze a trail so others can follow.

Engineer

Late to this thread but I have been the (mostly) happy owner of a Heatmaster G200 for the past three years.  I just fired it up for the season a couple weeks ago.  There have been some minor issues, notably I've had to replace two blower fans and the heat shield and insulation in the lower (gasification chamber) door.  Fans are off the shelf parts, the OEM was Fasco but they were garbage so I upgraded to a Dayton at half the cost.  It required very minor modifications to fit the boiler but it's pretty bulletproof.  The heat shield was either 12- or 14-gauge stainless, and it warped so bad I couldn't seal the door.  I had a local shop bend me a new shield out of 1/8" 304SS sheet, and it should hold up.

So, sorry about the bad stuff, but the good stuff is that I had owned a Central Boiler 5648 for about ten years, and it ate anything I could get through the door, but it ate a LOT.  I installed the G200 and dropped my wood consumption in half.  I'd also been burning 24/7/365 for twelve years, with both units, for heat and hot water.  This spring (2019) I put in a Bradford-White AeroTherm hybrid heat-pump water heater, and was able to let my boiler be idle since May.  I've since plumbed in a flat-plate exchanger and a flow switch into the old zone, so anytime there's a call for DHW, the circulator pump kicks on.  As long as the G200 is running, I have nearly unlimited 100°F water coming into the tank.  I could literally take a shower for days if someone were to keep feeding the boiler. 

I will say you made a very good choice and you should be happy with your new OWB.  If I had to do it again, I would be considering the G200 again, and also the Crown Royal line of boilers. 

Thank You Sponsors!