iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

South Dakota Muleys

Started by CX3, February 05, 2011, 08:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

I am really wanting to plan a bowhunt to SD.  Anyone ever been there without an outfitter on public lands?  Any info would be appreciated.   Thanks.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

clww

I've never done South Dakota, just west of there.
Perhaps the Magicman has?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandhills

Never hunted there, I'm just south.  Where are you planning on hunting, there's some very pretty country up there.

CX3

Im not stuck on SD.  I just want to go bow hunt a mule deer and am looking for advice on a good place to give it a shot.

Sandhills do you have mule deer in your area?
You Better Believe It!

Magicman

I've only hunted in Wyoming and Colorado.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Ive hunted them in Colarado about the strangest deer Ive ever hunted when there in rut.Getting drawed any more is the problem.
Bill

Chuck White

I spent a little over 7 years in SD, in the Air Force and hunted the Black Hills, but never made it to Belle Fourche (pronounced "Bell Foosh")!

After I transfered, a good friend of mine contacted me and said that they had gotten into some good sized mulies up in the Belle Fourche area.

Belle Fourche is on I-90, just a little east of the Wyoming state line.

Pretty rugged country in that area, so be fit!

If I was going to hunt mulies, that's where I'd head for!

Good luck!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

CX3

Well I figured the magicman had killed a booner in every state as well as 24 foreign countries. LOL

Thanks Chuck thats right in the general area we are wanting to go hunting.  Any more advice I would be happy to listen.  Thanks.
You Better Believe It!

sandhills

CX3, we have a few here close, in our hunting area it's mostly whitetails and buck only for mulies, but you don't have to go very far west and it's more mule deer than whitetail, trouble is I don't own any land out there :-\

Magicman

You will probably have to collect preference points for a couple of years in order to hunt some states.  It's just not as easy as it once was.  I've dropped my mule deer preference points, because it's too expensive to for me to do deer and elk.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CX3

Thats kind of why I wanted to go to SD.  There is a draw, but from what I been told there is usually extra tags at the end.  I really dont care to kill one, that would be awesome, but rather just to go out west and hunt, so cliche  :D
You Better Believe It!

Magicman

I've made several scouting trips during the Summer with the family.

iffy

Quote from: Magicman on February 07, 2011, 10:51:27 PM
I've made several scouting trips during the Summer with the family.
For years my wife griped about me never caring much where we went on vacation. She took it to mean I didn't really care whether we went on vacation, which was probably pretty close to right. So, I started making suggestions about destinations, and after several of these trips, she came to the conclusion that they were just scouting trips, which was pretty much right too.  ;D So, now any destination suggestion I make is treated with some amount of trepidition, which is back to kinda getting me off the hook about making suggestions. ;D

Magicman

The Magicwoman and I have been on many hunting trips together.  Once she accompanies you, even obvious destinations are OK.

After she brings home one like this, you are good to go.

sandhills

CX3, hunt where they do  :D :D :D :D :D

CX3

No kidding.  Magicwoman is a slayer.  Awesome buck.  Thats what Im lookin for right there
You Better Believe It!

clww

That is a rack with great character to it! The Magic Mrs. did a great job! How old was that buck?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

stiff202

Western Kansas is alot closer and might even be better.

Ron

Magicman

Didn't age him, but he did make B&C.  201 3/8 gross, 191 2/8 net.  Stepped off 325 yards with a .280.  It was a three mile pack out with pack frames.

CX3

stiff, I wouldnt mind kansas, but getting a tag there is next to impossible , and Ive hunted in kansas quite a bit too before.  Kinda looking for a new place to spend 2K ;D
You Better Believe It!

northwoods1

I gotta tell you that a buddy of mine began going out and hunting the Standing Rock Indian Reservation for the last few years. All I will say is after hearing the reports and seeing what he brought back I do think that I will be making a trip out there. From what I understand the way it works is there are a limited amount of tags available but it is not a drawing. You just have to purchase your tag right after they go on sale. The tag allows you to shoot one buck and one doe of either species, whitetail or mulie. You get to hunt on 1.8 million acres of reservation land. I normally would not be interested in hunting deer in the Dakotas  because that is what Utah is for :D , but it is close to home, relatively easy to get a tag , not to high priced and there is some big deer out there.

CX3

I think we have this muley trip about set.  We are going prairie dog hunting in wyoming in june, and are going to swing over around custer, sd, to check out some areas to mule deer hunt later in the year.  Buffalo national grasslands is where we will be bowhunting at.  Should be easy to get a tag.  Its really hard to get this all figured out Im not much of a planner :D
You Better Believe It!

semologger

Brother in law is moving to Sioux Falls i would love to find a place to do some hunting up there. maybe i might find someone and trade off takeing them to do some missouri hunting.

Thank You Sponsors!