iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1947 Mall model 6 chainsaw

Started by gjersy, May 27, 2015, 07:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjersy

Here's a picture of an 8 foot long, 2 man Mall chainsaw, thats hanging over my basement bar. I bought it about 10 years ago from a fella that said his Dad used it in the old days. The chain & bar turn sideways as the carb has to stay upright to run, it still turns over but i never started it. I thought the old 075 was heavy lol. I have a few old antique chainsaws, this is my best one, i love them all.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

sablatnic

Looking great but don't hope it will ever fall down - could kill somebody!

bandmiller2

jersy when that saw was new you would be a special logger to have one, heavy and smoky but it beat a misery whip. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Caloren

Last year while in Colorado I almost bought a Mall chain saw for $5, it was the largest electric chainsaw I had ever seen.  :o
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

gjersy

Yes they were a huge investment back then. Caloren, for $5 you should of bought it. I have an electric Mall also, but it is small. It won't fall i have it chained and bolted right to the joist. I like looking at all the experimental designs they had in the early chainsaw days.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

thecfarm

That's a good one. To hang on the wall.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

A local college ( Wellesley) must have cleaned out an old shed and threw out a huge electric chainsaw. Of course I grabbed it only problem it required 400 hz. didn't want to run well on 60 hz. They tried a lot of things in the early days of saws. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

The Malls are quite collectable .I have a model 12A which is 80 cc and really small in comparrison to the models 6 and 7. I've never as yet even attempted to start it .

I suppose back in the day two stout young men could out saw those old behemouth gear drives with a crosscut saw.One thing is certain though they could not out last them .

warren46

As I remember holding the dumb end of a Mall two man saw, they were really loud, no hearing protection in those days.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Al_Smith

I've been on the dumb end of a big Mall before myself .It'll ring your ears for certain .

Dave Shepard

I've seen a 6P (pneumatic) in action. Not my cup of tea. Kind of a pain to drag that diesel compressor around.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Al_Smith

Those old gear drives are fun to restore and maybe fire up every so often .They are not an item a person would care to use on a regular bassis .

That said however you have to respect the old gents that used them to make a living back in the day .The days of iron men and heavy as lead saws .

Thank You Sponsors!