iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pillow block bearings

Started by dsgsr, December 07, 2015, 12:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsgsr

What is a good quality brand and where to find them. Need to replace the ones on this cheapy sawmill. 1.5 dia.

David

Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Larry

My first mill in 1994 was a Kasco which used a different style of pillow block.  Earlier versions of my mill used a 1 1/2" shaft and they had a lot of bearing problems.  They switched to a 2" shaft with consequently larger bearings and that ended premature bearing failure.  Just something to consider.

I really don't know where you can find high quality bearings in that style.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Den-Den

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

dustyhat

Dodge , fafner or the very best rex. i cant afford rex but you get what you pay for. they have tapered roller bearings in them with adjustments. mcmaster carr, grainger, or your local machine shop can get them.

dutchman

I got my last bearings from Motion Industries.
Close to home and in stock.

justallan1

Have you looked at Surplus Center. Although I haven't used any of their parts, I keep hearing lots of folks bragging on them pretty good.

Ga Mtn Man

There are some good deals to be found on eBay for some of those brands already mentioned, and others.  I have had good luck with Nachi bearings. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

Try these guys!

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/

I knew I had it in Favorites, just took a while to find it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Quote from: justallan1 on December 07, 2015, 04:49:39 PM
Have you looked at Surplus Center. Although I haven't used any of their parts, I keep hearing lots of folks bragging on them pretty good.

I bought some from Surplus Center and they were made in China and not the best looking bearings, but they were low cost. Could be bad seals that caused your failure. I like to use the JT6 grease on highly loaded bearings, it seems to make them last longer. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

StimW

I have been buying bearings from www.baileynet.com for about 10 years. They have good service and fast shipping.
I buy 1" pillow block bearings 20-30 at a time plus 1 1/2" bearings w/eccentric collar 10-20 at a time from them for my business.
I install them on construction equipment with no problems.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

submarinesailor

Back 24 years ago I was working as a consultant in a lot of the steel plants in the old "Rust Belt" from Pittsburgh to Gary, Cleveland to Mansfield.  While doing this work, I dealt with a lot of bearings and bearing steel.  And the work placed me in some of the newest to the oldest plants in their deepest and darkest places.  So if I may make the recommendation based on their plant, steel quality and the use of best practices. I would like to recommend you do your best to find a Timken dealer and buy from them.  To the best of my knowledge, a lot of their bearings are still make in the USA.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/bearings/Pages/default.aspx

Bruce

blackfoot griz

I had a walk-in customer today that was shopping for a 1-1/2 pillow block bearing. He wasn't  sure  at first what to call it.  Fortunately  he had it out in his vehicle and brought it in. He told me that the shaft was 1-1/2 and the next question was how much for a replacement ?  Something   made me check....I grabbed a micrometer and showed him that it was 1-7/16. I walked into the warehouse and grabbed 3 different pb's. I politely  stated "from $12.50 to $125! He looked them all over carefully and struggled...save some upfront $$ and hope for the best or go the quality  route. He was watching   his pennies  and he told me that he needed two and one was a bear to get to and the second was easy. He got one good one for the tough end and a cheaper one for the easy end.  IMO, on small to medium-sized pillow blocks or flange bearings Dodge are a great value. 1st brand of choice with my commercial sawmill customers. Plus whenever possible, I prefer selling American made power transmission  products .

Kbeitz

I got 30 plus years in the textile worild. There is lots of good bearings out there.
I have a machine shop and made textile machines for many years.
Thomson, Fafnir, Timken, Dodge, SKF, Browning are some good ones I used.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dean herring

X2 kbeitz we use dodge in our big cooling fans and have really good run times . They run 24/7 ,we grease twice a month.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

dean herring

Looks like the bearing on the drive end wore mainly on bottom, could be too much belt tension??
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

justallan1

Quote from: 21incher on December 07, 2015, 06:14:29 PM
Quote from: justallan1 on December 07, 2015, 04:49:39 PM

I bought some from Surplus Center and they were made in China and not the best looking bearings, but they were low cost.

Thank you. That's good to know. For some reason I was under the impression their stuff was all quality parts and had heard great things about them. I guess on more critical parts a guy can't always cheap out. :D

Thank You Sponsors!