iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sunday drive

Started by ohsoloco, October 09, 2006, 10:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

I've been talking about driving up north a little ways this time of year for a few months.  Yesterday my girlfriend and I took a drive up to Pine Creek Gorge (also called the Pennsylvania grand canyon).  The leaves weren't as spectacular as I had hoped, but it was a great trip anyway.  Leonard Harrison State Park was very crowded, but well worth the stop.  This is the park that has a large viewing area, and we opted to take one of the trails down into the gorge to check out some of the waterfalls.  Colton Point State Park is on the other side, and consisted of a small viewing area, but was much less crowded and was a spectacular view.  (The view in the link I'm posting is from Colton Point). 

Luckily I had my maps with me, so we took lots of dirt roads back onto 144.  We stopped at the Germania Hotel for a bite to eat, and I had the biggest, juiciest cheeseburger I've had in a long time.  By the time we got to Renovo the sun had already set, but I thought we could make it to Hyner View State Park before it got completely dark.  The horizon was nice and purple when we got to the top of the mountain  :) 

It was a lot of driving for the few views we saw, but well worth it.  I'll get some pics from the GF soon and post them.  Anyone else taking some nice drives this time of year  ???

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/oldgrowth/pinecreek.aspx

Here's a link to the Hyner View State Park.  I doubt the picture Denise took will show up, but we'll see.  The pics on the website don't do it justice.  I'm a roller coaster lover, but every time I go up there I kinda sneak up on the rock wall where the overlook is  :D

Ooops, forgot the link  ::)

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/Parks/hynerview.aspx

Roxie

What fun!  I made that trip over 20 years ago, and we walked the trails down into the gorge.  Going down wasn't so bad....but oh, the return trip to the top.   :D

Thanks for the memory!   :)
Say when

ohsoloco

I had some pics waiting in my inbox this morning  8)

These first two pics were taken at Leonard Harrison State Park after
elbowing for some room  :D

These next two were shot from across the gorge at Colton Point State
Park

Oh, and a couple of the waterfalls at Leonard Harrison.  This is the
reason we hiked down into the gorge.  Roxie, I was thinking about the
hike back up with every switchback the trail took, but it was worth it.

We stopped here along this backroad to wander around for a little while. 
There was a lot of spruce in this area. 

Denise said the pictures from Hyner were blurry, but it was probably too
dark to see much anyway.  Have you ever been up there Roxie?  That
was a popular road trip when I went to Lock Haven University.

SwampDonkey

Looks like a very nice area ohsoloco. I like those kind of trips too. We don't have many narrow river valleys here, they tend to have broad basins. Looks nice not to see clearcut patchwork on the landscape.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

WOW!   That is just beautiful country. I have GOT to get out east and see these wonderful scenes in real life. Someday....
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

ohsoloco

I was never in the Boy Scouts for very long, but all of my older brothers were, so I went on some canoe trips and hiking trips a few times.  Those are some very fond memories.  Traveling along the Susquehanna through valleys like that is just more that I can but into words  :)  You can see in the pics from Colton Point the bike trail that runs along Pine Creek.  It was constructed from an abandoned railroad bed, and runs some 60 miles (I believe) along the creek. 

In the next month or so I'd really like to get out to see the Alan Seeger natural area just outside of State College.  There's a stand of hemlocks that were passed over by the loggers last century, and I'd really like to see them.

SwampDonkey

Yes old hemlock stands are nice to walk in under, no undergrowth, just like a park.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Ah the switchbacks!  What memories!   :D  I'll share just a bit more of my story of our visit to the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania.....

When we went there a bit over 20 years ago, we took along my sons who were seven and three at the time.  The seven year old climbed everything...the three year old didn't want to walk and would cry if I put him down.  I guess it would be the same if I had taken along a 50 lb pack.   :D

We also stopped at a zoo that was nearby and the boys really liked that...they saw their first buffalo. 

The pictures are wonderful! 

Yes, Patty....come east!  Pennsylvania is beautiful. 8)
Say when

ohsoloco

Roxie, this sign should bring back some memories then  :D

Here's a nice closeup of one of the waterfalls at the
bottom of the trail

This pic looks kinda eerie to me, like it's just floating there

Here's a pic from the rock wall at Hyner.  Not a good pic, but
you can make out the Susquehanna river in the upper right corner

Someone else was hoping to go along for the drive, but she
ended up at doggie-day-care with my parents  :D

This is the perfect time of year to come to Pennsylvania Patty  :)

SwampDonkey

That river climbs quite a bit from sea level I noticed. On the Saint John River it's about 50 meters ASL on the river surface at Perth-Andover. I was noticing that one day when helping a friend find some corner posts with my GPS. Perth is probably 190 miles from the ocean at Saint John harbour. I thought it would be higher, but I remember this area where I'm on, a ridge, is only around 200 meters ASL. The landscape here in rolling.

Thank You Sponsors!