iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fruit Cake

Started by Magicman, December 15, 2011, 12:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, home made or store bought, Fruit Cake is a love-hate thing.  There are many jokes about re-gifting last years "Aunt Sally's Fruit Cake".

I buy a couple of these each year because I am the only one that eats them, that is unless Marty happens by.  Claxton Fruit Cakes are full of nuts and are the only brand that I will buy or eat.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

How can you buy a couple? Everybody knows there is only one fruitcake in existence that just gets exchanged with the next person that won't eat it every year.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

Lynn,
You know you can freeze them? Mom buys up 10 or so each year and freezes them. We share a slice with coffee all through the year.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Raider Bill

Ya'll can have my share of fruitcake and grits :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scgargoyle

Have you ever had REAL home made fruitcake? It's nothing like the packaged stuff. For one thing, you can just put the stuff in it that ya like, and leave out the stuff ya don't. Did I mention that it gets soaked in rum??
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Magicman

Quote from: scgargoyle on December 15, 2011, 04:35:13 PM
put the stuff in it that ya like, and leave out the stuff ya don't 

I think that was what Aunt Sally did, and I did not like her stuff.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CHARLIE

I love fruitcake! 8)  Absolutely LOVE it! digin_2  I've eaten Claxton fruitcakes since I was little boy. The whole town of Claxton, Georgia gets involved with those fruitcakes.  My wife also makes a homemade fruitcake that is mighty good.

Several years back in the last century, there was a newspaper article about a family that still had a fruitcake their Great Grandmother had made that was about 100 years old.  They kept it displayed in their hutch.  They had no plans to eat it but it was probably still good. :D

Raider Bill, I'm getting concerned that you are going to waste away to nothing.  Grits and fruitcake are the staples of life itself.  I think you need to go into therapy. ;D 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Radar67

It may be time for an intervention... ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Chris Burchfield

I'm not big on Fruit Cake but, my mother make's Fruit Cake Cookies that I like a lot.  It's her mother's/my Gmother's recipe.  They only include the stuff we like.  No orange peal or yuck stuff.  I also like an old fashion chocolate sugar fudge with pecans she makes, both, only at Christmas.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

metalspinner

The pecan thread reminded me to call mom about her Christmas cookies.  One of them she calls "Lizzies" and is fruitcake in nature.  I can sit down and eat 5lbs of those at a time. ::)

She recently had her knee replaced, so she has not made her cookies this year. :(  We will be in NOLA next week and I will make a few batches with her tutilage from the couch. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

Ahh the old Fruitcake Debate rises it's ugly head again  ;D  ;D

I sent Jeff one a few years back, I think it's about time for another  smiley_smug01
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jasperfield

This year Wal*Mart has hooked up with Claxton and is offering their best fruit cake at a very good price!

You can unwrap the cake, re-wrap it in foil, and add a little rum or vanilla extract. They are delicious.

WDH

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 15, 2011, 01:43:39 PM

Raider,

Keep grits out of this  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodsteach

I love the stuff... I get mine just up the road at Beatrice Bakery in Beatrice, NE 
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on December 15, 2011, 08:58:33 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on December 15, 2011, 01:43:39 PM

Raider,

Keep grits out of this  :D.

YUCK to both! Although unlike grits fruitcake has a use as it makes a nearly indestructible door stop.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

This year we bought a dozen or so (I lost track) from the Catholic Church ladies in Westport, WI. They make them every year, and they are very good. I like them, but not so good after being frozen. Prolly 'cause of the way they are made tho.
Shipped several to MS to BIL and another gentleman (ya der is some der) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

When I went to see Raider Bill at his place in Tennessee, he told me right off that his was a grits free household.  He did not say anything about fruitcake, but I did not think to check the door stops  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

WDH,I will tell you the same thing when you come see me in Maine.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

What a surprise!!!!!  If I can get my Dog Team rounded up, I will head up that way  ;D.

thecfarm

Better have the sled on wheels,no snow here,YET. Was 45 here yesterday.  ::) Temps will be dropping. May get down in the low teens tonight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Well Danny, ifin you make it here on that trip to cfarms, you will be getting the same intro.  smiley_smug01

You won't be needing check the door stop,  fruit cake is one of my bestess Christmas foods. As long as it is from my mom or my grand mothers recipe. I don't freeze any, its like venison eat it while its there  ;D :) digin1
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

I just watched an old episode of "Good Eats" on the Food Channel where Alton Brown was making fruitcake.  It gets better as it ages, like wine  :).   Everytime, as soon as the surface seems to be drying out, he said to sprinkle it with brandy.  It will keep for months.

DR Buck

I like fruit cake.  in fact I'm going to slice off a piece right now.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Chuck White

Quote from: scgargoyle on December 15, 2011, 04:35:13 PM
Have you ever had REAL home made fruitcake? It's nothing like the packaged stuff. For one thing, you can just put the stuff in it that ya like, and leave out the stuff ya don't. Did I mention that it gets soaked in rum??

I have, my mom makes the best and she even adds the rum.  She lets it soak in for quite a while.
She's probably putting some together as I type!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!