iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone know what this tool is for?

Started by peter nap, October 27, 2008, 03:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

I can't fight the photo system here so the images and description are posted on this link. :'(

Note from admin. IMAGES MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY

All you have to do is ask for help...

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

peter nap

beenthere

According to Eric Sloane, it is a hay knife.

Here is other evidence.

http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/advert/ay282.htm

Don't think the one on the arborist site will cut much ice.... ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

peter nap

Hmmmm. It looks just like the Ice Saw, Beenthere. Maybe it was used for both :P

beenthere

I imagine the "teeth" could be filed such that it just might work for both. The images, didn't show much for "teeth".

So, that is possible. That or the Museum showing it as for ice is not correct (that has happened before.. :) ).

But there is plenty of evidence it was used to cut through stacks of mowed or stacked loose hay. 

Here is what I expected a hand ice saw to look like...more sharp teeth, and longer in blade length.

http://www.old-woodworking-tools.com/index/pages/073.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

If you live in Maine, it's and ice saw...if you live in Kentucky, it's a hay knife. <G>

The real question is...Will Woodmizer Re-sharp it?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

The more I look at things listed as ice saws, this ain't it.
And that Kier Museum has several items mislabeled, I learned wanderin around there
(an obvious hay fork for lifting loose hay into the barn was listed as a stump puller  ;D :D).
An ice saw would have to have teeth that left a kerf wider than the back of the saw blade...or it would freeze in (i.e. get stuck). Ice saws have big teeth like a cross-cut log saw. And the handles are T-shaped, as well as the saws are much longer than this one.

Get me less convinced it is an ice saw, the more I think on it.  ;D ;D

But calls it what ya all want.  :)
south central Wisconsin

JimMoore

thecfarm

zopi,I would not want to cut any ice with it.I'll watch while you do it. :D Ice saws teeth are many on a saw.Most I've seen are about twice as long as a hay knife.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

peter nap

Thanks Guys!

I think it's a hay knife.
Looking at the pictures, it could be either...but I think the Ice Saw picture is mislabled. The edge is sharpened like a knife and since this is Virginia *even though it used to get cold before the hot air from DC started blowing this way) I don't think it ever got cold enough for the average farmer to have a dedicated Ice Saw.

zopi

Quote from: thecfarm on October 27, 2008, 10:06:06 PM
zopi,I would not want to cut any ice with it.I'll watch while you do it. :D Ice saws teeth are many on a saw.Most I've seen are about twice as long as a hay knife.

Me neither...but then i'm not gonna cut ice either..

I just googled it..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

peter nap

I wonder why it is I can find hay saws and pedal powered grinders but can't find a really large slick? I guess I'll have to fire up the forge and see what kind of steel is in a digging iron 8)

zopi

Got any leaf springs?

I've seen some pretty nice timber tools made with them...hard to forge tho'.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

iffy

An old gent that used to work for the same feedlot as my brother always seemed to have a story in him no matter what the subject. One day they were warming up in the office after cleaning feed bunks after a blizzard and my brother remarked that was the coldest work he had ever done. The old gent said the coldest job he ever had was one winter as the bottom man on a two man ice saw. ;D

peter nap

Quote from: zopi on October 28, 2008, 10:07:00 AM
Got any leaf springs?

Got lots of them. The older ones are 5160 and the newer ones are 1095 steel. The forge pretty well for me. 5160 is the easiest steel in existence to heat treat. What are the slick makers doing for a handle, just welding a bar on the back?

peter nap

BTW The slick I'm talking about is one of the BIG 4 and 5 inch ones with the 4 foot steel handle. I guess that's a slick.

I have a couple of the chisel length 2 and 3/4 width ones.

moonhill

Wooden Boat just did a nice article on making a slick from a leaf spring with a wooden handle.  Tempering instructions too.   They did a nice job.          Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

peter nap

Thanks Tim!
My subscription ran out. I'll see if I can find a copy.

moonhill

This is a test, please stand by...

zopi

Quote from: peter nap on October 28, 2008, 11:23:57 AM
Quote from: zopi on October 28, 2008, 10:07:00 AM
Got any leaf springs?

Got lots of them. The older ones are 5160 and the newer ones are 1095 steel. The forge pretty well for me. 5160 is the easiest steel in existence to heat treat. What are the slick makers doing for a handle, just welding a bar on the back?

figure out what the rough circumference of the handle stock is, forge the spring stock out to that width with enough length to form the socket, fold it around a rod the diameter of the handle and weld...then forge out the slick blade, or vice versa..

for one that size, I hope you have a trip hammer or something...atsa lotta work.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

StorminN

Quote from: peter nap on October 28, 2008, 11:35:14 AMBTW The slick I'm talking about is one of the BIG 4 and 5 inch ones with the 4 foot steel handle. I guess that's a slick.

Oh, you mean BIG ones... so this 3-1/2" White isn't big enough? (I don't own it, but wish I did!)

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

StorminN

Quote from: zopi on October 28, 2008, 10:21:09 PMfigure out what the rough circumference of the handle stock is, forge the spring stock out to that width with enough length to form the socket, fold it around a rod the diameter of the handle and weld...then forge out the slick blade, or vice versa...

Sounds like a lot of trouble, especially when you can buy a 3-1/2" slick, honed and ready to go for $160.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,3531.0.html

You'd have to really enjoy the forging end of things to make that worthwhile...

-N.

Dave Shepard

If you need a slick and want to get right to work, one of Jim's is the way to go. If you are into smithing, the thrill of making your own tools is a great feeling. I haven't tried a slick yet, but I can tell you without a power hammer, there's plenty of work to form that socket. I'm going to give it a try, someday. I wonder what kind of polish that leaf spring steel will take.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

zopi

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 31, 2008, 07:48:48 PM
I wonder what kind of polish that leaf spring steel will take.

Almost mirror if ya want to to go that much trouble...hadda friend made Bowie knives by hand out of springs...you could shave with the blade or use it as a mirror...lotta work though..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

StorminN

I know a maskmaker (carver) in southern Mexico, he makes all his own chisels and gouges from car springs... his tools look sort of rough, but they seem to work well. I have never seen him make anything nearly as big as one of these slicks.

-N.

Chuck White

I can't see Peter Nap's photos, but I know that the two knives in the center of Beenthere's photo are hay knives.

An Ice saw is like an old two-man cross-cut saw on steroids.  Lots of teeth.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

peter nap

Quote from: zopi on October 31, 2008, 09:21:22 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 31, 2008, 07:48:48 PM
I wonder what kind of polish that leaf spring steel will take.

Almost mirror if ya want to to go that much trouble...hadda friend made Bowie knives by hand out of springs...you could shave with the blade or use it as a mirror...lotta work though..

Like most things, there's an easy way to get the mirror polish.
A knife maker friend in Arkansas came up with this and it works slicker than anything I've tried.

You do need a belt grinder to speed it up.
Grind your blade to final shape after forging and heat treating. Grind the primary bevel down and then start wotking the whole thing with finer grit belts.

Buy a 15.00 finish sander and peel the rubber off the pad. Glue a scrap piece ofMicarta where the rubber pad was so you have a hard surface.

Take it through the finer and finest grades of wet paper with that. It goes quickly. Finish up with a buffing wheel.

Thank You Sponsors!