iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question regarding use of rough sawn lumber for home construction

Started by brdmkr, August 17, 2005, 09:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Don P
:) The trend in this thread didn't bother me. It just seemed to be growing into something beyond the original interest, which I would like to see addressed (NH seems to have been able to address it quite well). 

Maybe similar intitial steps (state level acceptance of local lumber in building codes), that also seem to include the direction Arky has moved with his stamp, are what's needed to get a program moving. Then, possibly the need will expand to other building markets supplied with local lumber.  That seems to be your area of excitement as well as Frank Penders. I admit to being a bit in awe of what it will take to Get-R-Dun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chris Burchfield

One of the main functions of the ALSC is to maintain the American Softwood Lumber Standard (Voluntary Product Standard PS 20).  The current edition is PS 20-99. This web site provides good information: http://www.alsc.org/untreated_ps20_mod.htm . The PS 20-99 can be accessed there in adobe format. Hope this helps.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Don P

I appreciate you all's responses and am glad. I have smacked others upside the head on occasion while flailing at that bee...it wasn't intended  :).

Just an update from my end, I did send the NH link to our regional chairman of the building officials. He's the one putting our class together. He is comfortable with the spancalc on the AFPA website. He found the NH law interesting, copied it for his records, asked if I would be presenting it at the class and offered to print copies for everyone attending.
He then asked if I had a delegate in mind to present it to the state legislature and if I had researched VA law to see if there is anything similar.
I think the delegate that got me this far is gonna hear from me again, I've kept him "in the loop" as things have been progressing, good guy. When I originally discussed this issue with my local inspectors they told me to talk to him as we had similar feelings.

I find it real hard to maintain an us vs. them attitude when they're so DanG helpful  8). Many of these guys seem to be rooting for us, we're all in this together. The big shots in Washington were trying to help everyone out and standardize the industry. The building codes wrote that standardization into the code in stronger and stronger language as time passed. Lawyers learned how to shift blame onto those building officials charged with enforcing the code. Inspectors began to enforce the letter of the code instead of the spirit. The basic idea of grading is good, I agree with it, and has pretty much worked, I don't think the big shots in government even know their big toe landed on some good little folk.

I have seen few laws expand freedom and so have mixed emotions about proposing a law. Some people who had more lenient inspectors may now find themselves having to train before their inspector will let them do what they were doing before...I hope they take it in stride and view it as continuing education  :-\.

Thank You Sponsors!